Around the World in 80 Dates by Christa A…

Around the World in 80 Dates (2007)

by Christa A Banister

362313,489 (4)2

Yes, Sydney Alexander is a Christian that dates. And she likes dating. She has dated many men, and she is still trying to find the one. When the story picks up, she is set up with a blind date, who happens to also start dating her best friend, who doesn't know that he's dating the both of them. Then her ex comes back into her life wanting to start things over again. But first she has to go to England and see where she wants to be in life. Also her sister gets dumped by a car who compares her to a car, her guy best friend is in love with her, but she doesn't know this. Yes dating is a fun time in the life of single 20something Christian woman.

I keep gushing about Christian chick lit, I know. But I can't help it! The genre is getting better and better with each new author that I read. This book is unique because it starts off as first person from Sydney's POV and then switches into third person with various different characters. So you got to get into the minds of the other people as well. This is interesting because Sydney would go on a date with Justin and you would see the date from her perspective and then the storyline would switch and you would see his view from after the date. This doesn't get confusing at all and I think it actually enhanced the storyline. I loved the job that Sydney had. I would love to be a writer for a magazine and get to travel to different places and write up about my adventures. Her job search is also interesting as well because I feel that many young women who read this book will relate to it.

What appealed to me most about this book is that it approves dating. I'm actually a little tired about reading books about Christians who give up on dating. I know it's a good concept, but sometimes it makes me feel like I'm a bad person who does date (well technically I'm only dating one person but you know what I mean). So it was VERY refreshing to read about someone my age who likes dating and wants to date. The scene that stood out to me the most was the last scene that Sydney has with Liam. I was completely floored with his character. He was like the "Toxic" relationship that a lot of girls seem to have, where they keep hanging on to a jerk for no good reason. But it is a situation that I believe many of us have been through and so I could totally relate with Sydney and share her pain. The characters in this book are real, you feel the hurt, the joy, the suffering, the ecstasy. I really loved how the ending turned out. It tied up everything AND kept you hanging. I loved the list of movies in the back of the book. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my all time favorite movies too!

Also this book mentions actual real bands such as The Replacements and Death Cab for Cutie! I know it's because the author worked in the music business but I just loved it how the bands were real and not made up. Also it shows that Christians actually listen to good music. I definitely cannot wait until Christa Banister's next book comes out. This was one of my favorite reads of the year. If you love chick lit, GET THIS BOOK! ( )
  mrsjason | Sep 22, 2011 |
Sydney's life has been a series of bad dates, with a few bad relationships thrown in for good measure. How will she ever find the right guy to settle down with? This book reads like a movie, with a setup like "He's Just Not That Into You"; We have main character Sydney and her life, with side stories about her sister, best friend and even one of her dates. Awesome read for all chick-flick lovers. Happy ending guaranteed, although there are a number of twists along the way that made me yell at the book and stay up reading until two in the morning! Plenty of girly stuff included, like pop culture references, fashion, movies and cute guys. Loved it! ( )
  AspiringAshley | Dec 27, 2009 |
To Will, my husband, my heart, my forever peaches. I love walking through life with you.
When Daniel told me he was in between jobs, I believed him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160006177X, Paperback)

Travel writer Sydney Alexander is ready for one particular journey to end: her frustrating search for a Mr. Right. But things are looking up: Just after landing her dream job, she meets an eligible round of bachelors.

Now Sydney will discover just how far she’s willing to compromise to land her dream guy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible