A Shattered Peace: Versailles 1919 and the…

A Shattered Peace: Versailles 1919 and the Price We Pay Today

by David A. Andelman

I thought the book was very informational, but did seem to run on with unneeded details. I liked how the chapters were organized based on the history and developments surrounding one country. It would be a great book to use as a research book to get information on a topic. ( )
  bshultz1 | Dec 10, 2013 |
  bshultz1 | Dec 10, 2013 |
A Study of the WWI Treaty of Versailles and how decisions made by the Allied powers in creating "new" countries out of the Ottoman and Austria- Hungary empires have effected our world today, especially in the Middle East. Interesting to read, but the authors left winged agenda gets in the way of his point .... ( )
  KatharineDB | Jun 6, 2011 |
It wasn't average and it wasn't very good, so 3 1/2 stars, for a book that makes a good contribution to understanding some of the craziness that we saw in the last decade of the 20th century and on into the 21st. I would have liked less chat and more analysis, and several opinions made me ask "why?".

No Robert Fisk this author, though a journalist and writing about many of the same issues that Fisk did in "Civilization". So often his conclusions seemed to arise out of the need to finish the paragraph or sentence according to a journalistic forumla.

I recommend the book, I value the author's opinion on several topics, but this isn't a great book though the subject lent itself to that possibility. ( )
  ebethe | Jan 10, 2010 |

Advance Praise for A Shattered Peace

"The peace settlements that followed World War I have recently come back into focus as one of the dominant factors shaping the modern world. The Balkans, the Middle East, Iraq, Turkey, and parts of Africa all owe their present-day problems, in part, to these negotiations. David Andelman brings it all back to life--the lofty ideals, the ugly compromises, the larger-than-life personalities who came to Paris in 1919. And he links that far-away diplomatic dance to present-day problems to illuminate our troubled times. A tremendous addition to this vitally important subject."
--Ambassador Richard Holbrooke

"The peace conference in Paris at the end of World War I was the first and last moment of pure hope for peace in the history of world affairs. Our president Woodrow Wilson was the sorcerer for this hope, and he kindled great expectations in people everywhere. David Andelman, a classic reporter and storyteller, tells this fascinating tale of hope falling finally and forever on the shoals of naivete and hard-headed cynicism."
--Leslie H. Gelb, former columnist for the New York Times and President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations

"The failed peace settlement following the Great War of 1914-1918 has been the subject of many fine books. In many respects, David Andelman's A Shattered Peace is the best of these. It is compact and compellingly written. Moreover, it explains more clearly than any other work how the failure of peacemaking in 1919 shaped later history and, indeed, shapes our own era."
--Ernest R. May, Charles Warren Professor of American History, Harvard University

"It is the power and fascination of David Andelman's new book, A Shattered Peace, that he shows us--with the clarity of a first-rate reporter and the drama and detail at the command of a first-rate novelist--that we are all still enmeshed in the loose ends of the Treaty of Versailles. Andelman brings us to Korea, to Vietnam, to the Persian Gulf, and to Iraq in our own vexed era. His story is alive with color, conflict, and interesting people. We could not find a better guide to this time."
--Richard Snow, Editor in Chief, American Heritage

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

"For more than half a century, it has been widely recognized that the unfettered revenge against Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire that was the cornerstone of the Treaty of Versailles created the circumstances that led inevitably to World War II. Less acknowledged and understood is the treaty's profound impact on many other parts of the world - an impact that echoes to this day in the Middle East, the Far East, the Balkans, and, yes, in Iraq." "In A Shattered Peace, veteran foreign correspondent David A. Andelman takes a fresh new look at the Treaty of Versailles as the point of origin for many of today's most critical international issues. This revealing history exposes the powerful lessons that a six-month period in a long ago era has for us today." "Andelman turns the spotlight on the many errors committed by the peacemakers that led to crises and bloodshed from Algeria to Kosovo and wars from Israel to Vietnam. Focusing on the small nations and minor players at the negotiations, including figures such as Ho Chi Minh and Charles de Gaulle who would later become boldfaced names, he traces the outcome of the deliberations through the history of the twentieth century and into the twenty-first. His conclusion is ominous: not only did the paternalism, ignorance, and self-serving approach of the Great Powers who sculpted the treaty lead to disastrous consequences that were predicted at the time, but current policies of the world's developed nations frequently repeat and reaffirm the same mistakes." "Andelman also paints a vivid picture of the glittering and often chaotic social whirl that accompanied the negotiations. Elsa Maxwell threw her first party; young Franklin Delano Roosevelt flirted with Parisian widows to the humiliation of his wife, Eleanor; princesses and young gentlemen in formal attire danced gaily to the hot new sound of American jazz - all this as prime ministers Georges Clemenceau and David Lloyd George ogled huge maps, dividing up territories and cementing their nations' positions as leading world powers for decades to come." "Complete with insightful quotations from the diaries and correspondence of participants and previously unpublished photographs of the proceedings and their surroundings, A Shattered Peace will change the way you think about twentieth-century history; its influence on current events, and where we should go from here."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible