Games Girls Play: Understanding and Guiding…

Games Girls Play: Understanding and Guiding Young Female Athletes

by Caroline Silby Ph.D.

9None943,234 (5)None

I have coached club volleyball for six years and have been a club director for three years, a lot of the lessons that Dr. Silby presents are pretty lessons that I have learned over the years through sheer hard lessons. I wish that I had this book to reference when I first started to coach young women.
Dr. Silby's book has been less a revelation but a reinforcement of what I had learned these last few years. This is not to say that I learned nothing from the book, on the contrary, I feel like I have gained important nuanceson communicating with young women and allowing them to tell me how I can help them get better and stronger both physically and mentally. An invaluable book indeed.

The only slight problem is that the book is geared toward the coaches of both individual sports and team sports, so not all the lessons are applicable completely.

I would recommend this book for anyone who coach, or are looking to coach. The lessons embodied in the book will make the road to success in coaching much smoother. ( )
  pw0327 | Oct 15, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312271263, Paperback)

For the 2 million parents of girls who play intramural sports, the comment, "you play like a girl," is considered a compliment. Games Girls Play, written by sports psychologist and former figure skater Caroline Silby with ESPN reporter Shelley Smith, moves beyond the widely reported benefits of sports for young women--offering both parents and coaches a fresh, smart guide for responding to the needs of the young female athlete. Whether they are writing about choosing a sport, building confidence, staying calm during a competition, or debriefing after the game, the authors have created a powerful primer on the inner work of sports psychology. As they explain, "teaching athletes to use their thoughts, perceptions, images and body language, focus and effort to move ahead are the life lessons of sports."

Drawing examples from case studies, the approach is highly practical and each chapter has bulleted strategies, checklists, summaries, and quick pointed questions (What if the coach plays favorites? Should I watch practice? How can I help her balance school and sports?) Yet the most probing questions are directed to parents, asking, for example: Can you accept that your daughter will disappoint you? Can you settle for personal improvement rather than winning? Other insightful chapters focus on a variety of subjects including coaching the coach, bad sport parents, and coping with crunch times, as well as the darker side of female sports---eating disorders, harassment, and steroid use. Each chapter offers rich resources for guiding a young woman to strengthen her body and mind and to transfer the lessons of sports to the rest of her life. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:27:54 -0400)

The sports psychologist offers advice on overcoming the obstacles faced by female athletes, describing how to manage the stress of competition, improve performance, and maximize self-esteem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,432,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible