Manifesto for Silence: Confronting the…

Manifesto for Silence: Confronting the Politics and Culture of Noise

by Stuart Sim

13None723,089 (3)None

No reviews

Silence has played a crucial role in human history in important areas of our existence such as religion and the arts. Yet we live in an increasingly noisy society in which silence is under perpetual assault from the 24/7 lifestyle. The business world cynically exploits noise as part of its marketing strategy; the military deploys noise as a weapon. Without question, noise is a political issue on a global scale.

This book mounts a strong argument for silence, arguing that we need more rather than less of it in our lives. The alternative is an environment scarred even further by noise, so often the forgotten pollutant. Stuart Sim explores why silence matters, where it matters - in religion, health, the arts, thought - and why we'll suffer if space is not made for it. The confrontation between the politics of noise and the politics of silence is an issue on which we cannot stay neutral. A defence of silence is a defence of our humanity, as well as of a beleaguered environment.

Key Features:

*An in-depth analysis of one of the main cultural conflicts of our time: noise versus silence.
*Appeals across the reading spectrum, from the academic to the general reader.
*Explores the critical role played by silence in cultural history and its continuing relevance to us now.
*Provides a critique of the marketing strategies of the business world from a new perspective.
*Puts the conflict between noise and silence in our world into sharp political focus.
*Demonstrates why and where silence matters in our lives, and why we should seek to protect it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,715,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible