Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

Child 44 (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Tom Rob Smith

Member:woka
Title:Child 44
Authors:Tom Rob Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**1/2

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith (2008)

The Industry of Souls: A Novel by Martin Booth (bnbookgirl)
    Eye of the Red Tsar by Sam Eastland (stembrook)
    Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag by Janusz Bardach (zoti)
    zoti: A lot of the history of this book is repeated here but this is an incredible true story

English (185)  Dutch (7)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  All languages (210)
Unremitting cruelty . David E said he couldn't put it down. I did finish this too-long book . I don't recommend it to anyone. At times the plot was laughable. I have visited the cruelties of Soviet / Stalinist Russia , unbelievable how terrible man can be. There are better books for me to spend my time. This was almost a waste of my time. ( )
  MaximWilson | Jan 24, 2015 |
This is easily one of my top ten favorite books. ( )
  szbrooks1 | Jan 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not a huge fan of murder mysteries anymore, but the setting in communist Russia just makes this story so interesting. The twist caught me completely by surprise - and how often does that happen in novels anymore? I didn't quite believe Leo's change of heart halfway through the book, but the rest of it was compelling enough to overlook that. ( )
  carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
Sometime you have to give a book a second chans. I started to read the book last year but never finished it but a couple of days ago I thought "what the hell" I want to know the ending and I borrowed the book from the library again to pick up where I left it. I'm glad I did it, since the book actually is quite good. So, sometimes you just have to wait for the right moment to read a book... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
This was the best thriller I've read in years. It was well researched and cinematically written. The characters were well-rendered and the action sequences were taut and believable. It's sure to be made into a movie especially with all the upheaval in the Ukraine and given that the author started as a screenwriter. I would give this book to anyone who likes mysteries, historical fiction, family drama, and books about serial killers. I think this book is ok for older teenagers but would recommend that parents pre-read. ( )
  SENSpence | Nov 23, 2014 |
On Page 275 of his tightly woven debut novel, “Child 44,” Tom Rob Smith reveals what the title means. The moment is a shocker — but its full effects can be felt only if you’ve read the 274 pages that precede it. This book is much too densely, ingeniously plotted for its secrets to be accessible via shortcut. ...

Tom Rob Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karjalainen, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krogstad, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
Since Maria had decided to die her cat would have to fend for itself.

From CD Case: "Stalin's Soviet Union strives to be a paradise for its workers, providing for all of their needs. One of its fundamental pillars is that its citizens live free from the fear of ordinary crime and criminals.

But in this society, millions do live in fear...of the State. Death is a whisper away. The mere suspicion of ideological disloyalty--owning a book from the decadent West, the wrong word at the wrong time--sends millions of innocents into the Gulags or to their executions. Defending the system for its citizens is the MGB, the State Security Force. And no MBG officer is more courageous, conscientious, or idealistic than Leo Demidov.

A war hero with a beautiful wife, Leo lives in relative luxury in Moscow, even providing a decent apartment for his parents. His only ambition has been to serve his country. For this greater good, he has arrested and interrogated.

Then the impossible happens. A different kind of criminal--a murderer--is on the loose, killing at will. At the same time, Leo finds himself demoted and denounced by his enemies, his world turned upside down, and every belief he's ever held shattered. The only way to save his life and the lives of his family is to uncover this criminal. But in a society that is officially paradise, it's a crime against the State to suggest that a murder--much less a serial killer--is in their midst. Exiled from his home, with only his wife remaining at his side, Leo must find and stop a criminal that the State won't admit even exists."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446402389, Hardcover)

If all that Tom Rob Smith had done was to re-create Stalinist Russia, with all its double-speak hypocrisy, he would have written a worthwhile novel. He did so much more than that in Child 44, a frightening, chilling, almost unbelievable horror story about the very worst that Stalin's henchmen could manage. In this worker's paradise, superior in every way to the decadent West, the citizen's needs are met: health care, food, shelter, security. All one must offer in exchange are work and loyalty to the State. Leo Demidov is a believer, a former war hero who loves his country and wants only to serve it well. He puts contradictions out of his mind and carries on. Until something happens that he cannot ignore. A serial killer of children is on the loose, and the State cannot admit it.

To admit that such a murderer is committing these crimes is itself a crime against the State. Instead of coming to terms with it, the State's official position is that it is merely coincidental that children have been found dead, perhaps from accidents near the railroad tracks, perhaps from a person deemed insane, or, worse still, homosexual. But why does each victim have his or her stomach excised, a string around the ankle, and a mouth full of dirt? Coincidence? Leo, in disgrace and exiled to a country village, doesn't think so. How can he prove it when he is being pursued like a common criminal himself? He and his wife, Raisa, set out to find the killer. The revelations that follow are jaw-dropping and the suspense doesn't let up. This is a debut novel worth reading. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:40 -0400)

"Robert Harris meets Gorky Park in Child 44, Tom Rob Smith's stunning thriller--sure to be one of the most talked about debut novels of the year"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,073,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible