Infected by Scott Sigler

Infected (2008)

by Scott Sigler

Series: Infected (1)

CIA operative Dew Phillips, working together with CDC epidemiologist Margaret Montoya, race to stop the spread of a mysterious disease that is turning ordinary people into murderers. A former football player who has become infected with the deadly bioengineered parasite may carry the cure.
Recently added byrena75, private library, Lindsey-Barbara

English (74)  German (2)  All languages (76)
This book jumps right into the action. No slow buildup, we are just there. I loved it. A tale of ordinary people infected by a strange parasite. As the infection progresses, they are prone to increasingly paranoid and violent behavior. The chapters alternate between Perry, an ex football player who is infected, and Margaret Montoya, a CDC researcher who begins to find a connection between the cases.

As Perry fights against his violent thoughts, Montoya hurries to find what is behind the infections. There is quite a bit of gore in this book but it didn't bother me. I liked the excitement of the book, and the discovery of what is behind the strange triangles appearing on Perry's skin. I am disappointed that this is the first book in a trilogy. I wish this was a standalone book, because I am getting tired of having to read sequels. Oh well. I can't say I am going to seek out the other two books. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
The Good:
*The story had a good pace, and ramped up nicely.
*The horror elements added a fresh feel to the story, making a trope-y plot feel somewhat newer.

The Bad:
*The characters were flat, archetypal, and failed to engender any empathy. Sympathy, yes, but no real empathy.
*There were heavy uses of homophobic, sexual, and misogynistic phrases. This in itself isn't necessarily a flaw, if they're couched in a way that clearly and unambiguously shows how destructive, offensive, and just plain wrong those views are. While that context was here, I worried that the barrage of remarks swamped the story near the end, and actually drew me out of the story. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
"Infected" is a strong sci-fi novel with more than a touch of horror. I always love when an author manages to take an interesting premise and turn it into a page-turning story... especially one whose ending manages to keep me reading just as quickly as the rest of the book. The pacing of the book had me going right from the start, and I was completely hooked as I realized I was following along Perry's journey with the Triangles. The book definitely tested the limits of the amount of gore I can handle - definitely not for the squeamish! If you can overcome reading about vast amounts of pain - some self-inflicted - then this is worth a try. Definitely going to be looking for more by Sigler! ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
I admit that this book was like reading a romance novel for horror fans. The plot was thin in a few places but the pace was great. I ripped through it in a day and sometimes it's just great to have a book that is all about fun and oh that's really gross. No thinking required, just get on the ride.

This book is for horror fans but I think it has some science fiction and thriller appeal. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I wanted this book to be good, i was excited about the promises of story line and of course for the potential of blood and creepy horror awesomeness. What the hell happened? Now, maybe, just maybe (read yeah I highly effing doubt it) it was because the book was read by the author for the audio version, and he took that as an opportunity to treat it as a (horrible) one man radio play, maybe that's what made it so awful. No, no it was the craptastic story line, the cartoonish characters, and the dialog clearly written by someone who has never held a conversation in his life. THAT is what made this book terrible. What made it worse was that he thought he was not only talented enough to write a book but to also read it out loud, which is how I learned there was something he did in life that was far worse than writing this book... don't podcast your book, it's a bad idea. Also, someone might want to talk to him about him unnecessary use of racism, sexism, and homophobia in a story that didn't call for it at all. Also can we talk about the lead FBI FIELD AGENT being a Nam vet and the fact that the average age for a vet who saw action in Nam in 2006 would have been around 60ish...not only does that seem like a no go, but he's also a complete moron... so yeah. Avoid this book. ( )
  PoesRaven42 | Feb 5, 2018 |
Lass die Himmel schwarz werden. Lass die Infektion brennen. Dies ist ein neuer Anfang. - Killswitch Engage, "Welt in Flammen"
To my mom and dad, the best people I have ever known. To my wife, for the endless patience. To my O.J.'s -you know who you are.
Alida Garcia stumbled through the dense winter woods, blood marking her long path, a bright red comet trail against the blazing white snow.
Ich habe sie alle umgebracht!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,759,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible