dismiss

The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov

The Bicentennial Man (edition 1978)

by Isaac Asimov

This classic collection includes the title story, acclaimed as Asimov's single finest Robot tale, and now made into a Hollywood movie starring Robin Williams. Each of the eleven stories here sparkle with characteristic Asimov inventiveness and imagination.
Member:Skaidon
Title:The Bicentennial Man
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Granada (1978), Paperback

The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories by Isaac Asimov

English (11)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
Isaac Asimov truly was one of the best science fiction writers of the last century and shall remain so hopefully for many future generations to come, for his writings and his works are truly phenomenal, truly amazing, and truly extraordinary, and deserve to be read not just for many years to come but for an eternity. I can still remember how amazed I was by it when I was going through Foundation series, and this book's or this story's truly is no different, such a wonderful and such a magnificent story that brought tears to my eyes, even more tears than an actual movie, which was also good and comes highly recommendable. I have no other words to say, I can only hope that you shall see and read this masterpiece and that you shall not only learn the true meaning behind loyalty and the true meaning behind caring and everlasting love. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
As with any Asmivo short story collection, the strong ones are strong and weak ones are week. "Bicentennial Man" is by far the best one of this collection. "Life and Times of Multivac" is also strong. And although it's only a cameo, love seeing Susan Calvin in "Feminine Intuition." ( )
  endlesserror | Oct 21, 2015 |
A strangely moving story, the movie, starring Robbie Williams as the Robot, captured it extremely well and is one of the few times I actually warmed to Williams as an actor. ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Arthur C. Clarke said that science fiction done well at the least can give the pleasure of a "good puzzle" and entertain. Asimov is always science fiction done well, and this collection is no exception. I don't think Asimov has a strong prose style, and his characters are rarely memorable. But in the best stories by him I've read, such as "The Dead Past" or "Nightfall" he can stun me by making me see the world in a whole new way.

I don't think any of the stories here are of that order--with the possible exception of "The Bicentennial Man." Asimov rarely pulls at my heartstrings--the short stories "The Dead Past" and "The Ugly Little Boy" are exceptions. This is another one--I had a lump in my throat by the end. And it's so well done--the whole passing of different generations in the lifetime of this robot. Oh, yeah, it's a robot story--an Asimov specialty. As are two of my other favorites outings in the book, "Feminine Intuition" and "That Thou Art Mindful of Him." I do love the point Asimov made in the first story mentioned, and how... subversive the other one is of his own robot lore. Both "The Lives and Times of Multivac" and "The Winnowing" have wicked good twists. And I liked the undersea setting of "Waterclap."

There wasn't any of the 12 stories I didn't like. Those were just the ones I found standouts. I can't imagine a science fiction fan not enjoying these. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Feb 5, 2013 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rauch, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to:
Judy-Lynn del Rey,
and the swath she is cutting in our field
Here I am with another collection of science fiction stories, and I sit here and think, with more than a little astonishment, that I have been writing and publishing science fiction now for just three-eighths of a century.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,840,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible