Night; with Connections by Elie Wiesel

Night; with Connections

by Elie Wiesel

I picked this book up because it seems I was the only person to make it out of high school without reading it. As a teacher, I kept hearing about it, and hearing heated discussions about teachers who REALLY wanted to teach it is ____ grade, and not ____ grade.

So I wanted to see what it was all about.

The Holocaust.

This is a story of a young man (14/15)--about the age of my students, actually--who is taken to several concentration camps....and his fight for life. Throughout it all, he is comforted and loved by his father--even sometimes he is tempted to ditch his father because it would be easier for him to survive alone. He describes in detail watching so many people die.

Its an amazing story, and hard to believe that ANYONE could survive it. I'm in awe of his experience, and the experiences of so many millions more.

However, as a piece of writing, I wasn't really impressed much. The last fifteen pages of the book were the most riveting, for me. It took me a long time to read this short, short book--until I got to the end.

But, it was short and worth reading, if you are like me, and somehow graduated without reading this. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

So I wanted to see what it was all about.

The Holocaust.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0030554624, Hardcover)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

An autobiographical narrative, in which the author describes his experiences in Nazi concentration camps.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible