The Mercenary by Cherry Adair

Recently added byLauren2013, BookHavenAZ, private library, Tricialenht

The Mercenary
4 Stars

Synopsis:
In order to rescue her brother from terrorists, Victoria Jones needs a hero and Marc Savin is just the man she is looking for. Marc, a former member of T-FLAC, is in no mood to help Victoria but he owes her brother and reluctantly agrees. The two soon find themselves fighting not only their enemies but their attraction to each other as well.

Review:
This is the revised version of the original Harlequin addition but from what I can gather there are few differences. Regardless, this is a quick, light, entertaining and romantic read.

The plot is neither spectacular nor original but the characters more than make up for it. Tory is a lovable and self-deprecating dynamo. Despite her own reservations about her abilities, she has an amazing courage and resilience. Marc is a typical alpha male hero and I really enjoyed the way he falls so hard for someone he believes is “not his type”. Their chemistry sizzles.

Adair’s writing is smooth and the dialogue never feels forced or lame as it often does in this type of story. This is a great beginning to the series and I look forward to reading more of them. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Hero: Marc Savin
Heroine: Victoria "Tory" Jones

A good start to a new series for me. Action, a bit of comedy and smokin' hot smex! This is right up my alley.
Read With Me: The Mercenary ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Pretty good book. I enjoyed it. ( )
  Author_AndriaLarge | Sep 1, 2013 |
Good -- not great, but there are a few books I consider great, so "good" is a decent recommendation. The Mercenary is an older book, revamped by Adair, featuring the founding character of her T-FLAC Series. What makes it good? Good writing, good plot, good sex appeal. Here's the bad news -- I didn't quite buy the romance. Victoria is an excellent character, fully-fleshed, and I totally get Marc's attraction to her. I could "see" him falling in lust and then love with her. But things on her end... not so much. I see the falling in lust, but not love. Maybe I just didn't like him. Sure he was manly and all, but his issues and crankiness didn't leave much room for love -- when he wasn't being a heckling jerk, that is. He was nicest to her whenever she was asleep or otherwise out of it. Shall we say, the only chance she had with him was when she was unconscious. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 10, 2008 |
It is obvious this is one of Adair's first attempts to write a novel, though it is not clear why it was published the first time, let alone why it was published a second time, with the author allegedly adding more to the story to enrich it. The first publication of this story revealed a breezy and lite romance, such as it is. Later books of Adair's are romantic, thought-out, hot, and good reads. This one is not. During what I can only assume was supposed to be a sex scene, the male character "rotates" the female character's nipples; I had to put the book down. Nipples are not radio knobs. Adair's writing has grown far better (of course, from this story, she only had up to go) than this. In addition, Adair added to this story to make it more coherent. It does not. The main character's long hair (which approaches fetish-like description throughout the novel) will be in a braid in one paragraph, and in the next, be flowing down her back. Many of the "clarifications" added to this edition leaves the reader flipping back, thinking she's missed some plot point or perhaps skipped a paragraph, or even, a whole chapter. An aggravating, confusing, and unintentional laugh-out loud book. ( )
  MelindaLibrary | Jun 23, 2008 |
In loving memory of my mother, Petal Campbell, who nurtured the woman that I have become.

And Jean Reed, friend and mentor, who nurtured the writer that I have become.

Two strong, smart women whom I loved and admired

I miss them both.
The red SUV careened up the mile-long driveway spraying dust and gravel and spooking the horses grazing by the fence.

Victoria Jones was a lousy liar. Not that the sensible bookkeeper was accustomed to lying—or anything else that would have disrupted her safe, dull existence. But her world took a terrifying turn when her twin brother, Alex, an agent for T-FLAC, the elite antiterrorist task force, went missing.

Now she'll do anything to find him…lie, cheat, even subject herself to the predatory advances of Alex's T-FLAC partner, Marc Savin, if it will help get her brother home safe.

But trusting the sexy, brooding operative might just be the risk of a lifetime.

The Mercenary is back, and better than ever!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373772483, Mass Market Paperback)

But trusting the sexy, brooding operative might just be the risk of a lifetime.

The Mercenary is back, and better than ever!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

"Victoria Jones was a lousy liar. Not that the sensible bookkeeper was accustomed to lying--or anything else that would have disrupted her safe, dull existence. But her world took a terrifying turn when her twin brother, Alex, an agent for T-FLAC, the elite antiterrorist task force, went missing. Now she'll do anything to find him...lie, cheat, even subject herself to the predatory advances of Alex's T-FLAC partner, Marc Savin, if it will help get her brother home safe. But trusting the sexy, brooding operative might just be the risk of a lifetime"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

Cherry Adair is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,776,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible