My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and…

My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams (edition 2010)

by Abigail Adams, John Adams, Margaret A. Hogan (Editor), C. James Taylor (Editor), Joseph J. Ellis (Foreword)

Member:parelle
Title:My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams
Authors:Abigail Adams
Other authors:John Adams, Margaret A. Hogan (Editor), C. James Taylor (Editor), Joseph J. Ellis (Foreword)
Info:Belknap Press of Harvard University Press (2010), Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams by Abigail Adams

Entrancing. Major crack for the romantic, American history-loving romantic.
  katie.chase | Apr 23, 2014 |
Like any good New England girl, I have a total crush on John Adams. He's got a special place in my Massachusetts heart. So does Abigail, and their story as a couple. All of which makes it hard for me to not really really love this book. That said, I think some of the veil got pulled away from my eyes with these primary sources.

Oh, John Adams, you make me so conflicted sometimes. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
A beautiful book that gives a true picture of a marriage that survived the better and worse and shows us John and Abigail as real people without the lens of history tainting it. We see them as they saw each other. For anyone who wants to know what the founders were really like and what they thought of each other, this book is a must. Excellent with David McCullough's biography of John Adams. ( )
  Biyee114 | Feb 12, 2012 |
I really enjoyed the portrayal of John and Abigail Adams' marriage and America through their letters. It was interesting to see how they coped with the big and small things in their lives, both personal and political. I'm thankful that their correspondence was preserved and doubt that we could get this sort of a picture of our time through letters. I appreciated the chronology and index at the back of the book and found the editors' notes in among the correspondence very helpful. ( )
  cbfiske | Feb 11, 2011 |
John and Abigail were many things. Loving and supportive partners was certainly one of them and this collection of letters clearly demonstrates that. If you are a lover of books and learning and you happen to also be courting someone of the same mind, reading this collection of letters to one another will prove a romantic experience like no other. Those familiar with JA and Abigail will know they are not for the faint of heart - their romance is cut of the same clothe. Jim Taylor and Maggie Hogan are fantastic editors and thank to their hard work "My Dearest Friend" is a great read. ( )
  JEOCantoni | Jan 1, 2011 |

Abigail Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, Joseph J.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, Margaret A.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, C. JamesEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Listen to a ten-minute interview with Margaret Hogan
Host: Chris Gondek | Producer: Heron & Crane

Read Margaret Hogan's HUP blog posting: "The Romance of John and Abigail Adams"

Watch the video of The Massachusetts Historical Society's November 2007 event at which Deval and Diane Patrick, Edward and Victoria Kennedy, and Michael and Kitty Dukakis read selected letters from My Dearest Friend

Visit the Adams Family Papers: An Electronic Archive

Watch the March 2008 HBO miniseries--"John Adams"--based on David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography

In 1762, John Adams penned a flirtatious note to "Miss Adorable," the 17-year-old Abigail Smith. In 1801, Abigail wrote to wish her husband John a safe journey as he headed home to Quincy after serving as president of the nation he helped create. The letters that span these nearly forty years form the most significant correspondence--and reveal one of the most intriguing and inspiring partnerships--in American history.

As a pivotal player in the American Revolution and the early republic, John had a front-row seat at critical moments in the creation of the United States, from the drafting of the Declaration of Independence to negotiating peace with Great Britain to serving as the first vice president and second president under the U.S. Constitution. Separated more often than they were together during this founding era, John and Abigail shared their lives through letters that each addressed to "My Dearest Friend," debating ideas and commenting on current events while attending to the concerns of raising their children (including a future president).

Full of keen observations and articulate commentary on world events, these letters are also remarkably intimate. This new collection--including some letters never before published--invites readers to experience the founding of a nation and the partnership of two strong individuals, in their own words. This is history at its most authentic and most engaging.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:03 -0400)

A collection of letters between Abigail and John Adams written from 1762 to 1801 covering topics of revolution, independence, and nation building, along with those that reflect their love for one another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible