Boris Godunov and other dramatic works by…

Boris Godunov and other dramatic works (2007)

by Alexander Pushkin

Emerson's introduction was brilliant and gave me a good idea of what to expect in this collection. Falen's translation is very readable. My reactions to each play varied greatly.

Boris Godunov - historically interesting but emotionally flat

A scene from Faust - So jaded it made me feel like Pollyanna in comparison, so short that feeling was more invigorating than overwhelming. I've put off reading Faust for a long time, but may actually attempt it now.

The miserly knight - Grossly antisemitic. Even imagining the Baron as played by Scrooge McDuck couldn't make me enjoy it.

Mozart and Salieri - Bubbly and malicious. Enjoyed it more than I anticipated.

The stone guest - I mostly rolled my eyes. I've never found the legend of Don Juan particularly interesting.

A feast in time of plague - *blank stare*

Rusalka (The water-nymph) - Gave me chills and left me wanting more. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Jan 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0199211302, Paperback)

Alexander Pushkin's dramatic work displays a scintillating variety of forms, from the historical to the metaphysical and folkloric. After Boris Godunov, they evolved into Pushkin's own unique, condensed transformations of Western European themes and traditions. The fearful amorality of A Scene from Faust is followed by the four Little Tragedies, which confront greed, envy, lust, and blasphemy, while Rusalka is a tragedy of a different kind--a lyric fairytale of despair and transformation.
Here, James E. Falen's verse translations are accompanied by a first-rate introduction from Caryl Emerson, an equally distinguished Russianist, which emphasizes the cosmopolitan nature of Pushkin's drama, the position of Russian culture on the European stage, together with excellent analyses of the individual works in the volume. Falen's translations of Pushkin are widely admired and his OWC translation of Eugene Onegin is considered the best available. This collection is sure to interest both casual readers and students of Russian literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

Legacy Library: Alexander Pushkin

Alexander Pushkin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Alexander Pushkin's legacy profile.

See Alexander Pushkin's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible