Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth: Poems…

Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth: Poems 2004-2006 (2007)

by Adrienne Rich

A melancholy collection, gently sweeps you along. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
While I did like a few of the poems ("Rhyme", "Hubble Photographs: After Sappho", parts of "Draft #2006"), most left me either unmoved or confused. Perhaps I should have gotten an earlier collection, more similar to "Planetarium". ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 23, 2015 |
Poetry is always hit or miss for me. I imagine these are very good poems - they are certainly dense. Not quite stream of consciousness, though sometimes the juxtaposition of words, and the line breaks, seem impressionistic. There's a vagueness in the settings for these poems, as though the material, concrete world just isn't that important a part of what Rich is trying to convey. Unfortunately, most of these poems were lost on me - I didn't understand them analytically, and they didn't light me up emotionally. ( )
1 vote bezoar44 | Jan 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is Adrienne Rich! I have been a fan of her poetry for many years (my favorite being her 1970s poetry "The Dream of a Common Language"). Her latest collection doe snot miss she is still experimenting with formal styles yet seems to have a preference for more modern free verse. Her poems have always had a tinge of the political with personal reminiscences tossed in for flavor. These are not as accessible as her early work which either states that she has evolved as a writer and we have not or she is experimenting with a common figurative language that she hopes we will aspire to. Poetry, goes without saying (though I just did), need to be reread and reread again as it reflects our own personalities at different times within our lives. By doing this it becomes timeless and Rich has once again demonstrated that.
  mrkay | Feb 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This isn't a long book of poetry but like much of Atwood's poetry it packs a wallop. Only one or two poems have a rhyme scheme. Most of the poems rely on free verse and very minimalist at that. However, the images she creates of loneliness, connection, loss, (un)fulfilled wishes, friendship, and reminiscence is so powerful that at times, your breath is taken away. Don't read this book in one sitting. You can't. Read a poem here and a poem there. Let it soak into you and give your brain time to wrap around each line, each stanza. Good poetry leaves you thinking about it hours and days later. This is good poetry.
  deepforestowl | Jul 30, 2011 |

A new volume from Adrienne Rich, recipient of the National Book Foundation's 2006 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.

Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth is one of Adrienne Rich's most unpredictable and evocative collections. In the folk/blues tradition behind "Rhyme," in the incantatory pattern of "Behind the Motel," in the voices from past and present in "Letters Censored, Shredded, Returned to Sender or Judged Unfit to Send," in the dystopic scenes and intimate encounters of "Draft # 2006," in the mysterious negotiations of the title poem, the tempos and moods of this book constantly vary. Here, Rich draws on the artistic means of a lifetime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

A collection of poems by Adrienne Rich, winner of the National Book Foundation's 2006 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Adrienne Rich's book Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393065650, 0393334783

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,553,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible