Tennis Rules and Techniques in Pictures by…

Tennis Rules and Techniques in Pictures

by Nathan Runkle

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There are moments of hope and inspiration amidst the horror stories that factory farming offers. Those who should read this probably won't. Those who have committed to learning about the horrors that we force animals to endure for our pleasure, will be reminded about ways to get involved and of why they should continue to question their choices around animal farming and consumption. I found myself in tears many times, but I'm glad to have received this and read it. I will be spreading the message, and hope that this book inspires more people to make different choices for a more just society for all. ( )
  bookcaterpillar | Oct 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to admit that I have not yet been able to finish this book. I think it is one of the most important subjects of our time, and this book does an admirable job of bringing it to the attention of the public. There should be a non-stop outcry about the cruelty that takes place in our food industry until it stops. The author is an angel to have the courage and compassion necessary to do this work. The book is written in such a heartfelt manner that the reader is spared the full onslaught of horror that the descriptions of the scenes he encounters on the farms reveal, which makes it a little easier to tolerate. I still can't read it without a break though. I am not a vegan, but I do have a heart and the knowledge this book brings with it shold change the the buying habits of everyone who eats meat. ( )
  mudroom | Oct 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nathan Runkle's Mercy for Animals tells a story that needs to be told. Many of us have seen brief clips of undercover animal-rights activists exposing the inhumane conditions in America's factory farms, but most of us pay little more attention to the problem. Runkle's book not only chronicles the birth and growth of one of the world's most successful animal rights groups, it also tells the stories behind those clips, taking us inside the hearts and minds of the people who get the footage that makes such a difference. Before reading this book I had not considered the toll that working in such conditions, and standing by while the horrific treatment of animals goes on all around, might take on the people brave enough to go undercover. And believe me, some of the stories he recounts truly are horrific. My only complaint is that Runkle seems to think that the only solution to the problem is for everyone to become vegan, a view that is unrealistic, to say the least. Instead, focusing on ways readers can help support the humane treatment of farm animals would have been more useful. Still, this is a great book, well-written and thought-provoking. Recommended for anyone who has doubts about the way our food system works, and anyone who is interested in changing it. ( )
  lpmejia | Sep 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Life changing book. writing is easy to read, though subject matter is difficult. I never heard of MFA before and am very appreciative of all the changes they have caused in agriculture. last chapter leaves me hopeful. ( )
  pwagner2 | Sep 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mercy For Animals is about Runkle's life caring for animals. He founds the non-proft Mercy for Animals to protect factory farm animals.

While there are laws against animal abuse, most are devised for companion animals, pets, not farm animals. The very basic laws on the books to protect farm animals are so broad-based they are meaningless, and in most cases unenforced, especially if the local farm operation employs most of the town.

Runkle and his staff realize that the only way to change the horrendous conditions on many farms is to share the reality of these animals' lives with the public. He finds men and women who feel as he does and are willing to go undercover to investigate. What they see and record is the frightening, wholesale cruelty and abuse of animals who become the food we eat at restaurants or at home. Who wants to eat kicked, stabbed, clubbed, tasered, hanged and beaten animals? That is only PART of the abuse. Chickens are stuffed into cages so tightly they can't access food and water, most are bruised from man-handling, become ill, and when they fall over they become the doormats of their cagemates. Other animals have horns or tails cut off or cauterized without pain killer, are fattened up the point of not being able to stand and have heart-attacks. Many are given antibiotics which makes humans resistant to antibiotics when we need them.

Some farm companies who saw the videos of their farms animal cruelty agreed to make changes and didn't. Others delayed. Others blamed their employees! But eventually by shocking the public with visible proof causing consumers to loudly complain, food chains and restaurants stopped doing business with many farms. Other farms realized they would have to make major adjustments in the way they thought of animals as things to be pushed and prodded along without a care for compassion or kindness. Millions of animals have been impacted by Mercy for Animals' and other animal protection groups' research and actions.

Runkle doesn't think the improvements he's helped promote are enough. Farm animals' lives remain hard. He proposes we each consider going vegan, and describes examples of innovative companies producing vegetable products to taste like chicken, meat, and milk.

Exceptional book which clearly explains how the animal farm industry works. Focus is on speed and money at the expense of decency and integrity. And how most people didn't know just how bad the process is from beginning to end. Runkle requests our support to continue improving farm animals' lives. ( )
1 vote Bookish59 | Sep 14, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nathan Runkle's book Mercy For Animals is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible