He Loves Me! Learning to Live in the…

He Loves Me! Learning to Live in the Father's Affection

by Wayne Jacobsen

I was almost put off this book by the foreword. It's full of rather condescending remarks, telling me - basically - that the book will change my life. When I'm told that someone is confident about what I will say, or that peace is guaranteed to settle on my heart, I want to walk right away.

Thankfully I didn't. Having read other books by Wayne Jacobsen, I was fairly sure I would find it interesting and possibly helpful. And, indeed, I was gripped almost from the start. He writes for people who are unsure that God really loves them. While I don't think I've ever had that doubt, I hadn't thought through all the implications. I don't believe in performance-driven religion; yet I've certainly been guilty of trying to jump through some of the hoops described in the book.

The book is written with personal anecdotes, plenty of pointers to Jesus, and a clear, friendly style. Each chapter ends with brief questions that could be used in a home group situation, or for personal pondering.

All in all, I thought this excellent. It was thought-provoking and well written; I would recommend it to anyone.

I still think the foreword is dire, though. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Definitely a different approach for me. I do think a read through the New Testament (again) after reading this book is probably my next step. This is a book that I will read again, possibly going through the questions at the end of each chapter a little more thoroughly. I read the Kindle edition which made it slightly more difficult though not impossible to add my own notes. ( )
  Bob_Jeffers | Apr 27, 2011 |
However, there are some weak points present in Jacobsen’s work. Few scriptures are provided to back up his points, and single verses at times serve as the foundation for suppositions that are widely divergent from those held by the majority of the body of Christ. For instance, he posits that believers no longer need to fear God, but a brief survey of the word 'fear' as used throughout the New Testament would display that the matter of fearing God is not as one-sided as presented here. Scripture speaks to the fear of God in a believer’s life, as well as fear not being present in perfect love. All instances of the term 'fear' need to be taken into account to form a balanced view of God’s thoughts on the matter. Jacobsen’s beliefs regarding sin should also be closely compared with scripture; it seems that they may ultimately lead to the doctrine of complete sanctification within this life when followed to their logical conclusion. Readers will need to proceed with discernment, eating the meat and spitting out the bones.

If you’ve been entrenched in a struggle to trust in Christ’s work on the cross on your behalf, these teachings regarding God’s love may take some time to sink in. Jacobsen acknowledges that tuning in to God’s love and experiencing Him daily takes time, patience, and trust. With each chapter Jacobsen provides points for personal application, as well as questions that can be explored in a group discussion setting. Seeking God in prayer that focuses upon the suggestions offered, and discussing these teachings with others will serve to deepen understanding and belief.

For myself, I’m inspired to read through the New Testament once again, seeking to understand the love of God through His word as I seek to draw near to Him. I am confident that He Loves Me! will reach many believers who are seeking to regain an authentic, personal walk with Christ as they emerge from works based expectations.

Reviewed at http://quiverfullfamily.com ( )
  jenniferbogart | Oct 19, 2008 |
This is the BEST explanation of the Father's love I have ever read! So much becomes clear as you discover page after page of insights into the eternal. Everyone should read this! Whether you are reacting to the offer of relationship with the Father through rebellion or religion - you need to come home. This book will point the way home. ( )
  hogan1040 | Dec 16, 2007 |

Do you find yourself picking through circumstances like children plucking daisy petals attempting to figure out whether or not God loves you? If you find yourself least certain of his love in those critical moments when you most need to trust him, there is hope for you. Where? At the one event in human history that forever secured your place in the Father s hear--the cross where Jesus allowed sin and shame to be consumed in his own body so that you could freely embrace a relationship with his Father. There you will discover that what he always wanted was not the fearful subservience of slaves, but the loving affection of sons and daughters. If your spiritual life feels more like performance than freedom, like an empty ritual rather than a joyful journey, let Wayne help you discover a Father who loves you more than anyone on this planet ever has or ever will and how you can rest in the confidence of his affection for you through whatever circumstances you face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:33 -0400)

Describes how one can discover a transformative relationship with God by realizing that God's love is not something that is earned but instead is unconditional and everlasting.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,388,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible