Choice: True Stories of Birth,…

Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption,… (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Karen E. Bender, Nina De Gramont (Editor), Karen E. Bender (Editor)

Member:lemontwist
Title:Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
Authors:Karen E. Bender
Other authors:Nina De Gramont (Editor), Karen E. Bender (Editor)
Info:MacAdam/Cage (2007), Paperback, 349 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2008 (inactive)
Tags:feminism, abortion, 2000s, PS, essays, memoir

Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion by Karen E. Bender (Editor) (2007)

This is an incredible collection of essays, all written by wildly different women with a vast array of experiences and yet there is a single voice that comes out of all the stories. A voice that not just asks but demands choice and help and hope when it comes to women's bodies and their lives. The raw honesty and emotional depth with which each woman tackled her story, her experience, her choices (or lack of) is astounding as is the humor and wit that is constant alongside of the horror and grief.

I loved the essay by the woman in her 50's who'd chosen not to have children, as a woman in her early 30's who is in the process of making that choice it is a great support. I believe this book is a must read for everyone, really, everyone. ( )
1 vote Clare.Davitt | Aug 5, 2013 |
Definitely learned more than I thought I would and really appreciated these true down to earth stories without any pontification. You can see my full review on my blog at: http://www.laurareviews.net/2009/06/choice-true-stories-of-birth.html ( )
  LauraCococcia | Jun 10, 2009 |
Interesting, sometimes heart-wrenching short stories, fast read. Makes me happy to be a woman with choices, however hard they may be to make. ( )
  twryan72 | Aug 18, 2008 |
Excellent book! I'm not sure what more to say (Actually, that's a lie. I have plenty more to say but I could go on for days so I'll keep it simple here.) except that I think that all of the women chosen for this anthology did a really great job at clearly articulating what it means to be pro-choice and how important it is that people are given full autonomy over their lives.

As with any book I read with this type of subject matter, I appreciated the honesty with which these women spoke. A lot of the essays were very heart-wrenching and a few of them had me tearing up. The last time I found myself in an ongoing dejected state and was move to tears while reading a book was when I read The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler, also an excellent book on reproductive choice.

I was very surprised by the fact that the writing for the majority of the essays was engaging, fluid, and beautiful. There really was not one I didn't like or whose writing style I couldn't get into. I found this book very hard to put down and honestly, I'm sad it's over. I would have loved to have read more.

My favorite essays were Bearing Sorrow: A Birthmother's Reflections on Choice by Janet Mason Ellerby, Personal Belongings by Kimi Faxon Hemingway, and A Complicated Privilege by Elizabeth Larsen. ( )
1 vote paperdoll | Mar 20, 2008 |

Prose, FrancineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talley, AshleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Towler, KatherineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wimms, Harriette E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

What is it like to make any sort of reproductive choice? What is it truly like to use birth control, the morning after pill, use a sperm bank, have an abortion, adopt a child, give a child up for adoption, bring a pregnancy to term? In these 22 stunningly honest essays, writers describe their experiences making some of these decisions, as well as many others. Established writers such as Francine Prose, Jaquelyn Mitchard, Pam Houston, Carolyn Ferrell, Ann Hood, Deborah Macdowell, and Sarah Messer contribute essays, along with emerging writers such as Kimi Faxon Hemingway, Stephanie Anderson, and Ashley Talley.--From amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible