Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Summer Sisters (2003)

by Judy Blume

This is a book about 2 women who are childhood friends, and it follows them from summer to summer as they grow up and figure out who they are. To be honest neither of the characters was very appealing, but they were interesting enough to make me care. The book gets increasingly depressing and by the end I was ready to be done with it. I'm not against a book making me feel things, but this one was pretty bleak.
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Before reading Summer Sisters I hadn’t read a book by Judy Blume in what feels like ages, but I’ve always been of a huge fan of her middle grade books and I couldn’t wait to read something from her aimed towards older reads. Thankfully, I had a mostly free day when I started reading because I couldn’t put the book down. The characters were great and despite some of their actions I can’t say that there’s one that I really dislike. The writing made me nostalgic— now that I’ve finished reading I feel like I need to call my best friend on the other side of the country and catch up. Summer Sisters has instantly become one of my favorites. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jun 17, 2015 |
Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
This novel is about two females who meet while in the 6th grade. Caitlin and Victoria. Vic had never been near the ocean and Cat had asked her to spend the summer with her family.
She is thrown into the life of leisure, everything at your fingertips, the elite. Such a shock as she grew up in the lower class section of town.
Books starts in the present and goes back in time and forward and is broken up into sections.
Catilain's dad marries Abby and she runs the household now. Girls have been introduced to many things growing up, nude beach, lesbian, etc.
Steamy sex scenes as they are introduced to nudity and sex and drugs as teens. We learn more of each of their families.
  jbarr5 | Apr 23, 2015 |
Update: decided to read it... did so in two days... very good, maybe a bit like Fannie Flagg but no Sweet Tea and lots more sex, and some heartache.... recommended if you like stories of friends' coming-of-age kinda thing.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Review TK

Quotes

Already, it felt like ages ago. Her first trip on a plane. She wondered if all the firsts in her life would go by so quickly, and be forgotten just as quickly. (21)

You weren't always born to the right parents. And parents didn't necessarily get the kids they were meant to raise. (98)

"If being in love means giving up your freedom, not to mention your opportunities," Caitlin said, "then I haven't missed anything." (248)

[Her friends] are wrong. Caitlin isn't someone to get over. She's someone to come to terms with, the way you have to come to terms with your parents, your siblings. You can't deny they ever happened. You can't deny you ever loved them, love them still, even if loving them causes you pain. (347)

"Why can't you see me for what I am?" Caitlin asks. "A self-centered bitch who doesn't give a flying fuck about anybody but herself, who takes off when the going gets tough, who lies and cheats just to get what she wants...who lies to her best friend just to stay ahead of the game."
"No," Vix tells her, "that's not who you are."
...
"How can you care about me after all I've done to you?...I used you. I took everything I could from you."
"I never saw it that way. I was grateful just to be your friend." (395)

From back flap copy: "For every woman who has ever had a friend too dangerous to forgive and too essential to forget..." ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 24, 2014 |
Blume leads two best friends from age 12 to 30 through first love, college, marriage, and motherhood. When Caitlin Somers invites Victoria (Vix) Weaver to her divorced dad's home on Martha's Vineyard for the summer, it's the start of a lasting friendship, as they make a pact ("Never be ordinary or die"), experiment with the Power between their legs, and develop crushes on older island boys. For Vix summers on the Vineyard provide an escape from family and financial concerns and an entry into a privileged surrogate family. For Caitlin, with her father remarried, Vix is both a source of unconditional love and a rival. The strength of this novel is its vivid portrait of teens in the 1980s. Interspersed viewpoints of various characters add interest and depth.
added by kthomp25 | editLibrary Journal, Michele Leber

The city is broiling in an early summer heat wave and for the third day in a row Victoria buys a salad from the Korean market around the corner and has lunch at her desk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385337663, Paperback)

Judy Blume first won legions of fans with such young adult classics as Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret and Forever, in which she tackles the cultural hot button of teenage sexuality. In Summer Sisters, her third novel for adults, the author again explores the ramifications of love--and lust--on two friends. Initially, the differences between Caitlin Somers and Victoria Leonard (or "Vix," as Caitlin christens her) draw them together: privileged Caitlin is wild and outspoken, beautiful but emotionally fragile, while working-class Vix is shy, reserved, and plain in comparison. After Caitlin selects Vix to accompany her to her father's home in Martha's Vineyard for the summer, the two become inextricably connected as "summer sisters."

On the Vineyard, Vix and Caitlin first find love, then sex--and lots of it. Yet Blume soon moves beyond hot fun in the summer sun, tracing the romantic and familial travails of the two from pre-adolescence to adulthood. Solid Vix evolves into Victoria, an equally solid, Harvard-educated, Manhattan public-relations exec. Unpredictable Caitlin opts out of college and travels to Europe, where she has a string of short-lived affairs with a series of intriguing (in every sense of the word) foreigners. It is only after she returns to the Vineyard that Caitlin does the unthinkable, forever changing both her friendship with Vix and their lives. Blume once again proves herself a master of the female psyche, and Summer Sisters is likely to entertain both her postadolescent and more mature readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

A poor girl overcomes temptation and succeeds in life. It happens when she befriends a rich girl whose father offers to pay her college tuition. It is not easy, the rich one, now turned playgirl, tempting her away from studies with boys.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible