What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes

by Charlotte Hughes

197559,709 (3.56)None

Recommended by Anne
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
First Line: As a clinical psychologist, I've spent most of my time trying to convince my clients they're not crazy.

You might be more familiar with Charlotte Hughes from the series she co-wrote with Janet Evanovich. I admit to reading the first, Full House, and not being very impressed.

This time, the South Carolina writer is all by her lonesome and introducing us to clinical psychologist Kate Holly. Kate lives in Atlanta in a house with mood swings that she calls "Mad Ethel". She's afraid to say too much about the house to her landlord in case all the repairs are made and the rent is raised. She has an eccentric receptionist who drums up business by such schemes as offering free manicures. and her mother and aunt collect junk art. (They recently installed a vaguely sexual sculpture in her front yard, and Kate's neighbors are up in arms.)

Her psychiatrist ex-boyfriend keeps referring all sorts of "interesting" cases to her, and Kate begins to receive mysterious threats. If she weren't so busy chasing after everyone, she just might be able to take these threats seriously.

Kate is an extremely likable character. She has a good turn of phrase (I blushed so hard that I was certain I'd singed my eyebrows), and we tend to see eye-to-eye on things: Despite my Ph.D. in clinical psychology, I had yet to figure out why Popeye and Brutus were constantly coming to fisticuffs over a woman like Olive Oyl.

I also liked the care and concern Kate showed with each of her patients. What did wear a little thin with me throughout the first section of the book was her reason for divorcing her firefighter husband-- she literally cannot stand the thought of his being in danger every single day. That's the only reason. Kate's explanations carried on a bit too long for me, to the point where I wanted to tell her to put on her big girl panties and deal with it. Good thing I'm not the psychologist, eh?

Other than being mildly irked with Kate for the first quarter of the book and wondering about a practically non-existent mystery, I greatly enjoyed this book. Hughes' skill in characterization will have me looking for the second book in the series, Nutcase, when I need something light and fun. ( )
  cathyskye | Feb 15, 2010 |
Very fun book and poignant at at times. I am biassed however (I know her personally), but she is as funny in person as she is in her books. Psychologist Kate Holly deals as best she can with a divorce she is ambivalnt about, paients who are crazy, family who are crazier, and a receptionist who is her best friend but wants to offer free manicures as a promotion. ( )
  authorfriendly | Jan 1, 2009 |
This was the first book I read specifically by Charlotte Hughes, and it was a treat to read. Kept the pace going, with a few surprises thrown in. I'm ready for the next Kate Holly story (Nutcase - the teaser at the end hooked me). ( )
  laurarvrsd | May 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515144231, Mass Market Paperback)

She's had hit after hit with Janet Evanovich.

Now this New York Times bestselling author begins a series that readers will go crazy for.

Psychologist Kate Holly's own life has become the stuff of intensive therapy. She's divorcing her gorgeous firefighter husband, she has an eccentric secretary, her mother and aunt have erected a vaguely sexual sculpture in her front yard, and her psychiatrist ex-boyfriend won't stop calling to find out what color panties she's wearing. Now, Kate's being bombarded with mysterious threats, and the only person who can help her is the one man who always makes her lose her mind-and heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:44 -0400)

While dealing with an impending divorce, her eccentric secretary, and her junk-art-collecting mother, psychologist Kate Holly feels like she needs some therapy of her own, especially after she starts to receive mysterious threats.

Charlotte Hughes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible