Unspoken by Mari Jungstedt

Unspoken (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Mari Jungstedt, Tiina Nunnally (Translator)

Member:austcrimefiction
Title:Unspoken
Authors:Mari Jungstedt
Other authors:Tiina Nunnally (Translator)
Info:Doubleday (2008), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Crime

Unspoken by Mari Jungstedt (2004)

Don't Look Back by Karin Fossum (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: What can happen if you know too much

English (10)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (16)
I got confused which is nothing, absolutely nothing, new. But one night, for some reason, I plucked THE INNER CIRCLE by Mari Jungstedt from the stacks, and started reading. Then I got quite convinced I'd already read the book. So I went to check and found UNSEEN, which I then re-read, ending up very struck by the similarities between the two plots. Which got me wondering if there were similarities in all of them, and as I had a number of the books to hand, I thought I'd read them in order and see what was going on.

Still managed to screw up the order completely. Sigh. Oh, and THE INNER CIRCLE was also published as UNKNOWN just to add to the confusion.

So, anyway, I read UNSEEN, then THE INNER CIRCLE / UNKNOWN, then THE KILLER'S ART and finally UNSPOKEN which got me to the end of the books that were here, waiting to be read. Having spread this little exercise out over a couple of months, I was still struck by the similarities - sometimes in plot elements, always in the ongoing personal elements, and overwhelmingly in the way that the journalistic aspects take precedence over the police investigation, although the last part does seem to moderate a little in the final book - UNSPOKEN.

It comes as absolutely no surprise that the author of these books has worked as a journalist as that viewpoint is undoubtedly the strongest in all of these books. Whilst that aspect is obviously written with authority, it does rather skew the investigative aspects of the various cases. The personal complications of this particular journalist's personal life, absolutely did not help this reader as the whole thing lurched too much into melodrama for my liking. Add to that a rather journalistic, rather than storytelling author style and I will admit I was struggling.

A struggle obviously not helped by the idea of reading all of the books in rapid succession. I could really see the similarities after the second book, and the increasing predictability, and to be frank, tediousness of the personal life was increasingly boring and vaguely irritating. I definitely remember reading UNSEEN the first time round (of course I do, the similarities between it and UNKNOWN were what sent me off on this quest after all), and whilst I was not overly impressed at the time, I wasn't put off completely either. By the end of all four books though I have to confess I was increasingly underwhelmed with the series. Not one that I'd avoid, but not one that I'd shunt to the top of the pile by default.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/unspoken-mari-jungstedt ( )
  austcrimefiction | Nov 9, 2012 |
When a man is brutally murdered and a girl goes missing and is later found dead, there seems to be no connection between the crimes. But with the help of a journalist (who's a far better policeman than the real one), the cases are solved. It was an entertaining read but a bit too smooth for me despite the serious subjects. Not the best in the genre, but good enough for a few hours of light entertainment. ( )
  JustJoey4 | Jun 13, 2012 |
Publishers Blurb:
It is winter on Gotland, and fourteen-year-old Fanny is missing. She had no friends to speak of other than the horses she took care of at the local racing stable, and seems to have been an unhappy and isolated teenager, the daughter of an absent Jamaican musician and an instable Swedish mother. Is her disappearance somehow connected to the recent brutal murder of alcoholic photographer Henry Dahlström, who had won a large sum of money at the racetrack right before his death? Inspector Anders Knutas and his team investigate under pressure from the media.

#2 in Jungstedt's Anders Knutas series is at once a Swedish police procedural set on the island of Gotland, as was the first in the series UNSEEN, and at the same time an exploration of how little people often know about each other, even in situations when they should. It is a book I've had on my mental list for some time.

UNSPOKEN is a clever interweaving of three stories: firstly the disappearance of Henry Dahlstrom whose friends know almost nothing about him, and whose wife and daughter have long rejected. As is often the case it seems in modern murder mysteries Dahlstrom has sources of income that those closest to him knew nothing about.
Fanny Jannsom was not yet fifteen and yet already her mother was assuming that she could be left alone overnight or even for weekends. Again, here is a person with no real friends, and with a secret life well hidden from view. but it is a life that Fanny really wanted to be rescued from.

The third element was one that I had not expected. Reporter Johan Berg had a significant role in UNSEEN, and he became entangled with Emma, a friend of one of the victims. The continuing relationship between the two provides an interesting backdrop to the police investigation in UNSPOKEN, while Johan is constantly prompting Knutas for results.

Jungstedt's is a lighter, almost uncomplicated style when you compare it to other Swedish writers like Henning Mankell and Nesbo, whose novels seem much darker. That isn't to say that Jungstedt isn't dealing with dark situations. I am tempted to compare it with Helene Tursten's particularly in the treatment of the domestic life of the central police character. ( )
  smik | Sep 17, 2010 |
The second of Ms. Jungstedt's Gotland mysteries, featuring Detective Knutas and the journalist Berg. The mystery this time invoves a missing 14 year old girl, who is found murdered. The lives of Berg (particularly) and Knutas are as much a draw as the plot, and the setting is of the first importance to the novel. ( )
  annbury | Sep 13, 2010 |
This is a somewhat bland little novel. Not a lot of character development, and they didn't interest me a great deal. I found the ending to be not at all credible. Here it is 5 days after I finished the book and I can't recall why the killer committed the cime, only that he did and HE was a big surprise. The single biggest attraction for me was "discovering" Gotland, an island southeast of Stockholm.

There is another character that seems oddly placed in this novel. He is a TV journalist (as was the author, "write what you know") but he seems somewhat tangential to the story. He uncovers helpful information that contributes to the resolution of the case but he just seems to drop in for an occasional scene every so often. But he is having an affair with a married Mom of two kids who is now just pregnant again. More print seems devoted to his relationshiop with her than his time on the case; I guess this is to offset the somewhat dull private life of the hero cop.

Not sure that I will read other books in this series. I expected better. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jul 22, 2010 |
To my husband, Cenneth Niklasson - beloved best friend.
For the first time in a week the sky cleared.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031236377X, Hardcover)

It is winter on Gotland, and fourteen-year-old Fanny is missing. She had no friends to speak of other than the horses she took care of at the local racing stable, and seems to have been an unhappy and isolated teenager, the daughter of an absent Jamaican musician and an instable Swedish mother. Is her disappearance somehow connected to the recent brutal murder of alcoholic photographer Henry Dahlström, who had won a large sum of money at the racetrack right before his death? Inspector Anders Knutas and his team investigate under pressure from the media.
            Fanny is finally found, strangled to death and left on a lonely heath, covered by moss and branches. At the same time, grainy but explicit photographs of the girl with a stranger are discovered, hidden in Dahlström's darkroom. Intrepid TV journalist Johan Berg, sent from Stockholm to cover the two deaths, pushes the investigation one decisive step ahead while still trying to resolve his relationship with Emma, which has been simmering since they first met during the investigation into a series of murders on Gotland this past summer.
            All evidence points to one of Fanny's coworkers at the stable, an American who has left the country for a short vacation. As Knutas and his team wait for his return to make the arrest, the inspector takes a well-deserved weekend off with an old friend, and at the lonely cottage in the woods, the pieces finally fit together. But this time, Knutas has gotten too close. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

The dead man was a drunk - a regular on the park benches of Gotland's city centre. He had been celebrating winning 80,000 Krona at the races. Then 14-year old Fanny Jansson, a volunteer at the local stables, vanishes. Knutas and Jacobsson don't believe the two cases are linked. But they don't realise that truth is much closer to home.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible