Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Blue Like Jazz (2003)

by Donald Miller

This book is a fairly good memoir, but I don't really understand what all the fuss was about. Christianity is in fact (and by design) a religion, which is not a bad thing. But he does do a good job of modeling talking about Christianity without the jargon, which is a great skill to have. ( )
  LauraBee00 | Mar 7, 2018 |
Stories. Our stories, God’s story. In “Blue like
Jazz: Nonreligious thoughts on Christian
Spirituality” Don Miller tells his story, his
journey of faith. This book is an incredibly
refreshing and honest look at what it means to
live a life of faith in Jesus. God teaches him
through the most unexpected people and in the
most unlikely of places. Beautifully written,
Miller humorously and perceptively looks at
himself, the church and what it means to live life as a follower of Jesus. (Carolyn Vance)
  NCFChampaign | Dec 4, 2017 |
'242'
  caffeinatedbookworm | Nov 23, 2017 |
Interesting book. Really challenges hypocrisy and legalism in the institutional church. It is a cynical reflection on life growing up in conservative American church culture and his struggle to fit in and be accepted. He also contrasts these with the life stories of people he has met along the way and discusses peoples objections and reluctance to 'the church'. It challenged me to get to know Jesus better for myself. I read this shortly before reading Phillip Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew", and thought they went well together. ( )
  dannyp777 | Aug 8, 2017 |
Christianity
  CPI | Aug 1, 2016 |
For David Gentiles
I once listened to an Indian on television say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him or have Him brush your face in a breeze.
"It was as if we were broken, I thought, as if we were never supposed to feel these sticky emotions. It was as if we were cracked, couldn't love right, couldn't feel good things for very long without screwing it all up. We were like gasoline engines running on diesel."
"The genius of the American system is not freedom; the genius of the American system is checks and balances. Nobody gets all the power. Everybody is watching everybody else. It is as if the founding fathers knew, intrinsically, that the soul of man, unwatched, is perverse."
"I can't get there. I can't just say it without meaning it. I can't do it. It would be like, say, trying to fall in love with somebody, or trying to convince yourself that your favorite food is pancakes. You don't decided those things, they just happen to you. If God is real, He needs to happen to me."
"I will love you like God, because of God, mighted by the power of God. I will stop expecting your love, demanding your love, trading for your love, gaming for your love. I will simply love. I am giving myself to you, and tomorrow I will do it again. I suppose the clock itself will wear thin its time before I am ended at this altar of dying and dying again.
God risked Himself on me. I will risk myself on you. And together we will learn to love, and perhaps then, and only then, understand the gravity that drew Him, unto us."

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened." ―Donald Miller

In Donald Miller's early years, he was vaguely familiar with a distant God. But when he came to know Jesus Christ, he pursued the Christian life with great zeal. Within a few years he had a successful ministry that ultimately left him feeling empty, burned out, and, once again, far away from God. In this intimate, soul-searching account, Miller describes his remarkable journey back to a culturally relevant, infinitely loving God.

For anyone wondering if the Christian faith is still relevant in a postmodern culture.

For anyone thirsting for a genuine encounter with a God who is real.

For anyone yearning for a renewed sense of passion in  life.

Blue Like Jazz is a fresh and original perspective on life, love, and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

"An earnest evangelical who nearly lost his faith, [Miller] went on a spiritual journey, found some progressive politics and most importantly, discovered Jesus' relevance for everyday life. This book, in its own elliptical way, tells the tale of that journey. But the narrative is episodic rather than linear, Miller's style evocative rather than rational and his analysis personally revealing rather than profoundly insightful. As such, it offers a postmodern riff on the classic evangelical presentation of the Gospel, complete with a concluding call to commitment. Written as a series of short essays on vaguely theological topics (faith, grace, belief, confession, church), and disguised theological topics (magic, romance, shifts, money), it is at times plodding or simplistic (how to go to church and not get angry? "pray... and go to the church God shows you"), and sometimes falls into merely self-indulgent musing. But more often Miller is enjoyably clever, and his story is telling and beautiful, even poignant. (The story of the reverse confession booth is worth the price of the book.) The title is meant to be evocative, and the subtitle - "Non-Religious" thoughts about "Christian Spirituality" - indicates Miller's distrust of the institutional church and his desire to appeal to those experimenting with other flavors of spirituality" -- Publishers Weekly.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible