Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on…

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Donald Miller

Member:RidgewayGirl
Title:Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
Authors:Donald Miller
Info:Thomas Nelson (2003), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Non-Fiction, American Author, Memoir, Religion, 12 in 12

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (2003)

Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
Wonderful book, and will make you think very carefully about how you look at others. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
Everyday, basic language presents some thought-provoking commentary on life, love, the church, and many other topics of interest to Christians, and those who are interested in Christianity but can't get through the jargon. Short, casual sentences tell a very interesting story. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Given to me to read by my Pastor when my son went to Reed College, featured in the book ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
A series of essays about how the author and his friends have grown in their christian faith. It took me awhile to get into the style of the book becuase the chapters don't really flow into each other. I do like the fact that he is really about loving everyone no matter what they believe which is something I try to do in my life. I also liked the story he told of setting up a confession booth where he and his friends confessed their sins to strangers. This is something I dodn't know that I could do but I think the world would be a better place if we all looked at our own faults before casting blame onto others. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
For David Gentiles
I once listened to an Indian on television say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him or have Him brush your face in a breeze.
"It was as if we were broken, I thought, as if we were never supposed to feel these sticky emotions. It was as if we were cracked, couldn't love right, couldn't feel good things for very long without screwing it all up. We were like gasoline engines running on diesel."
"The genius of the American system is not freedom; the genius of the American system is checks and balances. Nobody gets all the power. Everybody is watching everybody else. It is as if the founding fathers knew, intrinsically, that the soul of man, unwatched, is perverse."
"I can't get there. I can't just say it without meaning it. I can't do it. It would be like, say, trying to fall in love with somebody, or trying to convince yourself that your favorite food is pancakes. You don't decided those things, they just happen to you. If God is real, He needs to happen to me."
"I will love you like God, because of God, mighted by the power of God. I will stop expecting your love, demanding your love, trading for your love, gaming for your love. I will simply love. I am giving myself to you, and tomorrow I will do it again. I suppose the clock itself will wear thin its time before I am ended at this altar of dying and dying again.
God risked Himself on me. I will risk myself on you. And together we will learn to love, and perhaps then, and only then, understand the gravity that drew Him, unto us."

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened." ―Donald Miller

In Donald Miller's early years, he was vaguely familiar with a distant God. But when he came to know Jesus Christ, he pursued the Christian life with great zeal. Within a few years he had a successful ministry that ultimately left him feeling empty, burned out, and, once again, far away from God. In this intimate, soul-searching account, Miller describes his remarkable journey back to a culturally relevant, infinitely loving God.

For anyone wondering if the Christian faith is still relevant in a postmodern culture.

For anyone thirsting for a genuine encounter with a God who is real.

For anyone yearning for a renewed sense of passion in  life.

Blue Like Jazz is a fresh and original perspective on life, love, and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

"An earnest evangelical who nearly lost his faith, [Miller] went on a spiritual journey, found some progressive politics and most importantly, discovered Jesus' relevance for everyday life. This book, in its own elliptical way, tells the tale of that journey. But the narrative is episodic rather than linear, Miller's style evocative rather than rational and his analysis personally revealing rather than profoundly insightful. As such, it offers a postmodern riff on the classic evangelical presentation of the Gospel, complete with a concluding call to commitment. Written as a series of short essays on vaguely theological topics (faith, grace, belief, confession, church), and disguised theological topics (magic, romance, shifts, money), it is at times plodding or simplistic (how to go to church and not get angry? "pray... and go to the church God shows you"), and sometimes falls into merely self-indulgent musing. But more often Miller is enjoyably clever, and his story is telling and beautiful, even poignant. (The story of the reverse confession booth is worth the price of the book.) The title is meant to be evocative, and the subtitle - "Non-Religious" thoughts about "Christian Spirituality" - indicates Miller's distrust of the institutional church and his desire to appeal to those experimenting with other flavors of spirituality" -- Publishers Weekly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,840,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible