Say Cheese and Die - Again! by R. L. Stine

Say Cheese and Die - Again!

by R. L. Stine

## Think Negative. Real Negative.

A step above the original Say Cheese and Die!, this sequel is mostly a retread that amps the stakes, putting friends Greg and Shari in more danger than the first round. The set-up is weak (as is the title...), but it didn't stop R.L. Stine from fixing up some of the loonier aspects of the original (e.g., the evil, basement-dwelling scientist), focusing on the horror, and exploring more legitimate fears -- namely body-image issues.

[N.B. This review includes images, and was formatted for my site, dendrobibliography -- located here.]

Over summer, Greg and the gang nearly got themselves killed messing with an unusual camera (see Goosebumps #4). This particular camera shows violent, painful futures for the photo's subjects, potentially even death. School's started, however, and Greg's brought the horror story to his English class, upsetting his tyrant of a teacher, Mr. 'Sourball' Saur. Unless Greg can prove the camera's power is real, Sourball promises him an F for all his work.

Greg should know better. He's been here before. But this is Goosebumps. He steals the camera away from where he left it, and chaos ensues. Surprising chaos for a Goosebumps novel. Thanks to the cursed camera, Shari wastes away, losing tens of pounds a day. Greg, on the other hand, bloats up overnight, gaining over 200 pounds to the surprise of friends and family.

Except Sourball Saur, who just insults him, classy guy that he is.

## "Greg, I want you to go see the nurse, "Mr. Saur ordered. "I want her to discuss the four food groups with you. I think you've been eating too much of all four!"

While the plot of the cursed camera is by no means original, it's a fun ride, and it's rough getting in the minds of kids facing body image issues. I went through the same concerns at 12-14 -- the absolute worst time to have any kind of social problem -- and Greg's worries reflected my own. Say Cheese and Die -- Again! is, despite its lame heritage (and even lamer title), a big improvement over the preceding books.

## I felt embarrassed just walking down the street. When cars drove past, I knew the people inside were staring at me. Laughing at the big mound of Jell-O bouncing along the sidewalk.

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#43 The Beast from the East | #45 Ghost Camp ( )
2 vote alaskayo | Aug 22, 2016 |
A sequel to the Say Cheese and Die! kids book. It worked, something fun about evil cameras, great for younger children cutting their teeth on horror.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
these are pretty good books. It was a good theme ( )
  JoNe0597 | Feb 2, 2011 |
Greg has been telling everyone all about the contents of Say Cheese and Die, and- guess what- no one believes him. It really irks me how many times R. L. Stine creates characters that have some crazy paranormal thing happen to them who then go to the adults and expect to be believed. Anyway, Greg pulls out the old camera and more bad stuff happens- like him getting bigger and his friend, Shari, getting smaller. He solves that dilemma, but is so determined to get revenge that he keeps the camera around and we're left with yet another "this looks bad" ending. Again (maybe all Goosebumps books should end with "again" in the title). ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Dec 1, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439573610, Mass Market Paperback)

They're baa-ack! Make way for the bestselling children's series of all time! With a fresh new look, GOOSEBUMPS is set to scare a whole new generation of kids. So reader beware--you're in for a scare!

A PICTURE-PERFECT NIGHTMARE…

Sourball. That's what Greg calls his English teacher, Mr. Saur. He's a real grouch. And he just gave Greg a big fat "F" on his oral report. He didn't believe Greg's story. About the camera Greg found last summer. About the pictures it took. About the evil things that happened.

Poor Greg. He just wanted to prove old Sourball wrong. But now that he's dug up the camera, bad things are happening. Really bad things. Just like the first time....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Bad things happen when Greg determines to convince his English teacher of the powers of the evil camera.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible