America, My New Home: Poems by Monica…

America, My New Home: Poems

by Monica Gunning

This book details the author's immigration from Jamaica to the US and I think that it is very important for children to read firsthand poems, to know that poems often come from experience. It is also important to discuss immigration and examine not only the author's perspective, but any perspective that the students might have.

A good activity might be to have the students write a poem about an experience involving travel that happened to them, perhaps including an illustration.
  Climbing-books | Dec 17, 2014 |
This book is a collection of poems telling the story of a girl who has recently immigrated to America. It discusses the difference between her past and present homes. I think that students who have immigrated would be able to connect with this book, and students who have never moved can imagine what it would feel like to move to a completely different place.
  adates12 | Dec 17, 2014 |
The book describe a girl who came from Caribbean Island and how she know America and accept America as her new home.
  xliao | Oct 20, 2014 |
This book is good for grades 3-6–Gunning's short, narrative poems capture the wonderment of a child as she leaves her home in Jamaica and moves to America. She is dazzled by the Statue of Liberty, who welcomes me/to step on freedom's soil and live/my dreams." The strange languages, the speed of life, and the wide-awake city amaze her. This is a great book that has wonderful pictures. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Nov 26, 2012 |

In twenty-three compelling poems, a young girl carries her dreams from her Carribbean island birthplace to America, a new land she finds at once puzzling, frightening, and inspiring.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible