Trouble by Gary D. Schmidt

Trouble

by Gary D. Schmidt

4193225,318 (4.09)8

English (31)  Portuguese (1)  All (32)
Trouble is about forgiveness, grief and racism. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
Trouble is about forgiveness, grief and racism. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
Henry Smith and his family lead a very easy life - his brother is an excellent sportsman, his sister is smart and well-liked, and he is a leader on his crew team. All that changes when trouble finds them. Henry's brother is the victim in a hit and run accident, and the driver is an immigrant from the other side of the city. As Henry's brother lies comatose in the hospital, the entire town goes into an uproar over the accident and the immigrant population. It is all Henry can do to keep his own head above water...

This story felt too disjointed at the beginning and too put together at the end. Each loose thread was tied together despite the fact that they seemed to be ridiculously random. I had a difficult time enjoying the story because I just kept thinking "why do I care about that?" I also think that some of the connections were too random because I assumed them before they were announced - why else would they be in the book? ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 19, 2013 |
Gary Schmidt is one of my 'Go to' authors when I'm looking for a book to read together as a family. He brings up real-life issues with characters that I end up loving and his books are always good for starting a discussion. Trouble did not disappoint as far as bringing up some hot topics - slavery, immigration, racism, lying to save a friend. But as much as I enjoyed all of the issues, there was almost too much thrown into this book, which finally detracted from a concise cohesive story. Will I read another of his books - absolutely! Still a great book, but not one of his best. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
This was an excellent audio production; I really enjoyoed listening and didn't want to get out of my car sometimes. I did find some of the writing a bit heavy-handed; Schmidt his you over the head, a lot, with the word trouble itself. Suspense was built quite well a couple of times and Schmidt does write some of the best sports scenes I've read in a long time. I know nothing about crew and I was on the edge of my seat during the whole race scene. Listened to Scholastic Audiobook edition narrated by Jason Culp. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

“Henry Smith’s father told him that if you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you.”

But Trouble comes careening down the road one night in the form of a pickup truck that strikes Henry’s older brother, Franklin. In the truck is Chay Chouan, a young Cambodian from Franklin’s preparatory school, and the accident sparks racial tensions in the school—and in the well-established town where Henry’s family has lived for generations. Caught between anger and grief, Henry sets out to do the only thing he can think of: climb Mt. Katahdin, the highest mountain in Maine, which he and Franklin were going to climb together. Along with Black Dog, whom Henry has rescued from drowning, and a friend, Henry leaves without his parents’ knowledge. The journey, both exhilarating and dangerous, turns into an odyssey of discovery about himself, his older sister, Louisa, his ancestry, and why one can never escape from Trouble.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Henry, wishing to honor his brother Franklin's dying wish, sets out to hike Maine's Mount Katahdin with his best friend and dog. But fate adds another companion--the Cambodian refugee accused of fatally injuring Franklin--and reveals troubles that predate the accident.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible