The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by…

The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation

by Nicki Greenberg

I hadn't read F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" when I first read this novel when I was twelve, but if it's anything as good as this I must get my hands on it immediately!

The novel is set in the nineteen-twenties Long Island North Shore and in New York City. Jay gatsby has moved in next door to the narrator, Nick Carroway. Nick begins to learn about Gatsby's murky past and his lost love, Daisy . . .

We are introduced to the same world of glamour and parties in the novel. The illustrations in black and white photograph album style perfectly convey the atmosphere. I especially loved the scenes drving past the optometrist's sign, with the giant eyes always watching. Very creepy alongside the drunken revelry of Gatsby's parties.

As for the various characters as different made-up or animal-like creatures, the idea is genius. I found they conveyed each character perfectly, especially Daisy as the delicate, flower-like creature - yet her clothing and statements revealed her superficiality.

This was a wonderfully enjoyable novel. However sad it was, the atmosphere was utterly captivating and the story rolled along slowly, but compellingly. I'm determined to read the original! ( )
  LilaJanet | May 24, 2010 |
really great ( )
  dendrea | Apr 24, 2009 |
A lovely graphic adaptation of a classic story. ( )
  spacedlaw | Oct 23, 2007 |

A brilliant, innovative, reverently faithful graphic novel adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's jazz-age classic.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible