The Sum of Our Days: A Memoir by Isabel…

The Sum of Our Days: A Memoir (2007)

by Isabel Allende

Recently added bySandraArdnas, private library, e-zReader, Bears, Morr_Books, alo1224, jazzyereader, Alibrafa

English (21)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (31)
I enjoyed the style of this memoir, as well as the exposure to a different way of living. It seems to me that she wrote this for her readers, and it probably wasn't the best book of hers to read first since I'm not familiar with any of her books. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Apr 24, 2017 |
I loved it - what else can I say? If you are a fan of Isabel Allende, this book is a must. It reads much more like a novel than a memoir. It has all the beauty of language that I expect from this author. (I must give credit to the translator, because even though Allende is fluent in English, she writes in Spanish and then collaborates closely with the translator.) It sounds very much like a cliche, but this book is about life, death, love, sex, children, marriage, divorce, democracy, war, frindships, writing, art, parents, Chile, acceptance, growing old and about 50 other things. After reading the book, I felt like I wanted to be a part of her extended family. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I really enjoyed it. I have liked most of Isabel Allende's novels that I have read and it is so interesting to hear what is going on in someone's life as they are creating such beautiful works of fiction. Her writing is just so beautiful. I agree with Mom, I give tons of credit to the translator. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
A wonderful book quirky and full of life, what a story :-) ( )
  brigitte64 | Aug 28, 2013 |
Who knew Isabel Allende had such a sense of humor? I saw her read excerpts from this at a book reading in Chicago, and she had us all cracking up. Of course, this was not as gripping as Paula by any means, but it provided neat insight into the author's more recent life/influences for her stories. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"En estos años sin ti, he aprendido a manejar la tristeza, a hacerla mi aliada. Poco a poco tu ausencia y otras pérdidas de mi vida se van convirtiendo en una dulce nostalgia. Eso es lo que pretendo en mi tambaleante práctica espiritual: deshacerme de los sentimientos negativos que impiden caminar con soltura"
"La tristeza se manifestaba en las noches en vela, la ropa oscura, el deseo de vivir en una cueva de anacoreta y la ausencia de inspiración. Llamaba a las musas en vano. Hasta la musa más zarrapastrosa me había abandonado. Para alguien que vive para escribir y vive de lo que escribe, la sequía interior es aterradora".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006155183X, Hardcover)

In this heartfelt memoir, Isabel Allende reconstructs the painful reality of her own life in the wake of tragic loss—the death of her daughter, Paula. Recalling the past thirteen years from the daily letters the author and her mother, who lives in Chile, wrote to each other, Allende bares her soul in a book that is as exuberant and full of life as its creator. She recounts the stories of the wildly eccentric, strong-minded, and eclectic tribe she gathers around her that becomes a new kind of family.

Throughout, Allende shares her thoughts on love, marriage, motherhood, spirituality and religion, infidelity, addiction, and memory. Here, too, are the amazing stories behind Allende’s books, the superstitions that guide her writing process, and her adventurous travels. Ultimately, The Sum of Our Days offers a unique tour of this gifted writer’s inner world and of the relationships that have become essential to her life and her work.

Narrated with warmth, humor, exceptional candor, and wisdom, The Sum of Our Days is a portrait of a contemporary family, bound together by the love, fierce loyalty, and stubborn determination of a beloved, indomitable matriarch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

In this memoir, Isabel Allende reconstructs the painful reality of her own life in the wake of tragic loss--the death of her daughter, Paula. Recalling the past thirteen years from the daily letters the author and her mother, who lives in Chile, wrote to each other, Allende ... recounts the stories of the wildly eccentric, strong-minded, and eclectic tribe she gathers around her that becomes a new kind of family. Throughout, Allende shares her thoughts on love, marriage, motherhood, spirituality and religion, infidelity, addiction, and memory. Here, too, are the amazing stories behind Allende's books, the superstitions that guide her writing process, and her adventurous travels.--From amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,632,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible