The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

The Lady Elizabeth

by Alison Weir

This fictional account covers Elizabeth I’s life from the time her mother, Anne Boleyn, is killed up to when she becomes queen.

I do like Alison Weir. This may be the highest I've rated a book about Elizabeth I; I usually don't find her quite as interesting as some of the other Tudors. Surprisingly enough, historian Weir does admit (in a Q&A at the end) to taking a big step away from what she believes really happened in one part of the book, but she said she was enjoying the liberty of it being fiction and decided to go with - what if...? I don’t think that “what if” pushed the book to 4 stars for me, though. The book was already there and remained there throughout. I’ve been meaning to read this for years and I’m glad I finally have! For those who want more factual historical fiction, this may not be the one for you, but I really liked this one! ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 17, 2016 |
This was a fabulous novel about an intriguing woman. Loved it. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
4.5 stars - I liked it very much, it's well written, well researched and I think the author gets Elizabeth's character just right. There is one flight of fancy in there that I didn't like, but other than that it's a book I'd recommend to anyone. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
By the time I was half-way through this, I was sure I had read & reviewed this already, I figured a few of the incidents were really familiar.

So, whether I've already read this or not, I'll review it (again).

This is the fictionalized account of Elizabeth I's childhood & ascension to the throne.

Alison Weir, wow what an imagination that women has, especially in light of the fact that she also writes non-fiction about the Tudors. What I believe is that she should instead write Romance novels, because this read like one.

The book begins w/ Elizabeth as a 2-yr old embroidering... Oh yes! Then at three doing some other amazing feat (it might have been another language)..... But whatever it was, can you say "Savant"?

Later when she is first introduced to Katherine Parr's household and gets sight of Seymour in an illicit embrace w/ Katherine, she gets so wet & excited herself she begins her menses! Seriously?

So if you can ignore the b.s. and ridiculous sappy romantic parts, you might like this book. But I will tell you, it is nothing you haven't read already.

I finished this book, because I was sick in bed and didn't want to get up and go look for another. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
The Lady Elizabeth tells the story of Elizabeth I's life from early childhood to the day she became Queen. Although I didn't enjoy this book to the same extent as I did Innocent Traitor, Weir's novel about Lady Jane Grey, I think readers interested in novels about Elizabeth I would like it. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
Martha Whittome,
Ann Morrice,
and
Siobhan Clarke
for all their help and support,
with much love.
On a hot, still morning in July, the Lady Mary, daughter to King Henry the Eighth, arrived at the great country palace of Hatfield, trotting into the courtyard on a white palfrey followed by four gentlemen, two ladies-in-waiting, and a female fool.

Amazon Product Description:
Following the tremendous success of her first novel, Innocent Traitor, which recounted the riveting tale of the doomed Lady Jane Grey, acclaimed historian and New York Times bestselling author Alison Weir turns her masterly storytelling skills to the early life of young Elizabeth Tudor, who would grow up to become England’s most intriguing and powerful queen.

Even at age two, Elizabeth is keenly aware that people in the court of her father, King Henry VIII, have stopped referring to her as “Lady Princess” and now call her “the Lady Elizabeth.” Before she is three, she learns of the tragic fate that has befallen her mother, the enigmatic and seductive Anne Boleyn, and that she herself has been declared illegitimate, an injustice that will haunt her.

What comes next is a succession of stepmothers, bringing with them glimpses of love, fleeting security, tempestuous conflict, and tragedy. The death of her father puts the teenage Elizabeth in greater peril, leaving her at the mercy of ambitious and unscrupulous men. Like her mother two decades earlier she is imprisoned in the Tower of London–and fears she will also meet her mother’s grisly end. Power-driven politics, private scandal and public gossip, a disputed succession, and the grievous example of her sister, “Bloody” Queen Mary, all cement Elizabeth’s resolve in matters of statecraft and love, and set the stage for her transformation into the iconic Virgin Queen.

Alison Weir uses her deft talents as historian and novelist to exquisitely and suspensefully play out the conflicts between family, politics, religion, and conscience that came to define an age. Sweeping in scope, The Lady Elizabeth is a fascinating portrayal of a woman far ahead of her time–an orphaned girl haunted by the shadow of the axe, an independent spirit who must use her cunning and wits for her very survival, and a future queen whose dangerous and dramatic path to the throne shapes her future greatness.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:41 -0400)

A vivid fictional portrait of the tumultuous early life of Queen Elizabeth I describes her perilous path to the throne of England and the scandal, political intrigues, and religious turmoil she confronted along the way, from the deaths of her parents, Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, to the fanaticism of her sister, Mary I.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible