The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira…

The Principles of Uncertainty (2007)

by Maira Kalman

Maira Kalman's distinct art style melds beautifully with her questions and musings. Reading this book always leads me to appreciate who and where I am, and to look closer to the people around me. I also enjoyed the hand-drawn map included in the book. ( )
  cfojas | Sep 27, 2016 |
This is a wonderful collage of random thoughts and memories- charmingly illustrated. Any passionate collector of frivolous trinkets will be thoroughly amused with how closely Kalman captures the mystique of objects. How we treasure things with no monetary value- purely because they flipped a switch in our imagination.
  Alidawn | Jan 15, 2016 |
Great art, insightful, a little marred for me by her pro-Israel leanings, her white privilege and wealth and basically taking for granted that shopping in Paris and eating fancy crudités is a normal way of life. ( )
  kylekatz | Aug 17, 2014 |
Maira Kalman’s collections, which comprise the thing-y-ness of this volume, are fascinating. From postcards (of Hotel Celeste or Santa Lucia) to numbers on tags and tapes (all shapes, sizes and origins) and paper packets, from photographs of people she has walked behind to things that have fallen out of books. The artwork is boldly coloured, dramatic strokes shaping a particular person or a view, sometimes more detailed bits, like a garbage receptacle in Paris or a pair of shoes. Be it a subway platform or a chocolate bar wrapper, there is an unmistakeable energy in these observations. We are reminded to take in our surroundings attentively and ambitiously, whether a hat or a favourite aunt. Creatively, the volume inspires and urges a mood of reflection, but also leaves one with a strange sense of longing, perhaps for what cannot be collected on a page.
  buriedinprint | Aug 8, 2014 |
Beautiful, fun book. ( )
  bobandjohn | May 26, 2013 |
To my beautiful mother Sara

What is this book? What is anything? Who am I? who are you? Stop It. Forget It. This is a year in my life profusely illustrated. Abounding with anguish, confusion, bits of wisdom. Musings, meanderings, buckets of joie de vivre and restful sojourns.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 159420134X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, Octhober 2007: In 2005 Maira Kalman brought a fresh vision to Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, filling the pages of the reference classic with her whimsical illustrations. And much like its multi-talented creator--who has illustrated children's books and New Yorker covers and collaborated on fashion projects with Kate Spade and Isaac Mizrahi--her new book, The Principles of Uncertainty, defies easy classification. Is it philosophy? Art? Memoir? Travel? Sociology? The answer is All of the Above (and more). This charming collection of text, paintings, and photography presents a "profusely illustrated" year in a life, with illustrated musings that range from a young Nabokov "sitting innocently and elegantly in a red chair" to two stuffed rabbits in the window at Paris's Deyrolles taxidermy to Kitty Carlisle Hart at home in her "pearly pink palace." Delightful, inspiring, and often very moving, this little charmer is a a book you might find nestled on Wes Anderson's coffee table. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

The Principles of Uncertainty is an irresistible invitation to experience life through the psyche of Maira Kalman, one of this country's most beloved artists. The result is a book that is part personal narrative, part documentary, part travelogue, part chapbook, and all Kalman. Her brilliant, whimsical paintings, ideas, and images--which initially appear random--ultimately form an intricately interconnected worldview, an idiosyncratic inner monologue. Kalman contends with some existential questions--What is identity? What is happiness? Why do we fight wars? And then, of course, death, love, and candy (not necessarily in that order).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible