Manxome Foe by John Ringo

Manxome Foe

by John Ringo, Travis S Taylor

Series: Looking Glass (3)

This book is a big improvement over the previous two books. Sure there still the faulty science with the Higgs Boson and they are still roaming around the stars in a converted submarine but things are changing…for the better.

The book blurb actually only tells the beginning of the story in this book. It continues the saga of the humans (or at least the US part of them) and their alien allies as they continue to try to understand their mystical warp drive and survive against the Dreen.

Without spoiling the plot (too much) they, of course, runs into the Dreen again as well as some new aliens at the same time. The new aliens, surprise surprise, are in a fight with the Dreen and we all know how the proverb goes, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”, so after some initial communications problem the humans got themselves a new ally. John made an interesting twist to this encounter by inventing aliens that didn’t use “normal” vision to perceive the reality around them. How do you explain things, like language, when you cannot even draw a picture?

Naturally there are plenty of dry humor, marine stuff and action, both on the ground, in space and on board spaceships (including on a Dreen one). As usual John Ringo is very good at writing this stuff. The space battles are not at the level of David Weber when he’s at his best but they are still good.

I wasn’t too keen on the “MacGyver stunts” they pulled when cobbling together repairs on their stardrive. That part was just plain ridiculous but, thankfully, short. However, then there’s the best of it all. With the help of their new allies they finally get a real spaceship, The Vorpal Blade II, instead of that cobbled together “submarine in space” kludge.

After reading this one I’m quite looking forward to read the next one.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
the Vorpal Blade and crew investigate a lost communications outpost. Stumble upon a new species who are being wiped out by the Dreen. Rescue them and come back to earth with the news that the Dreen will arrive within the next 10 years by spaceship. Bergstresser, aka Two-Gun, seems to be taking over as the main protaganist. No Mimi or anything. :-( Some things felt very shallow though. Like two-gun getting married. He meets a girl, talks to her for all of 4-6hrs, and when he comes back, they are planning on getting married. It just didn't seem at all plausible.

I still am disappointed in this series though. The first book was JUST so good, oh well. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Human-Adar Ship ASS Vorpal Blade has been quickly refitted for a second dive into interstellar space in search of more answers about the Dreen. Blocked from entering through the multiple Earthside "looking glass" entry points from planets they dominate, humans and Adar must discover if the murderous Dreen can approach through normal space. On this second mission, the specially trained Marines...now dubbed Space Marines...have to take on a genuine Dreen threat. An exciting hard science fiction story that proposes a realistic two-sided confrontation between humans and alien invaders. Flows smoothly, draws you through effortlessly. One of the lead characters is the astrogator, a maverick scientist based roughly on co-author, Southern-fried NASA scientist Travis Taylor of TV's Renegade Rocketeers (see YouTube) who provides the physics grounding for this tale. Looking forward to the fourth book. ( )
  NickHowes | Aug 18, 2015 |
Looooooove. Love. Love. Satisfies all my science fiction battle adventure dreams.

At first, I was a little skeptical. The whole Two-Gun and Brooke thing was bothering me, because she's like, 17 and they had one date and suddenly they're passionately in love and gonna get married and stuff? Well, okay. But it seemed somewhat sudden and irrelevant.

But then that got shoved aside and they went back into SPACE!! And it was EPIC!! Miriam makes me laugh all the time, and even though her subplot wasn't resolved, I'm still content with it. I can tell it will be continued in the next book (and it darn well better be).

Plus, Two-Gun. He definitely became my favorite of this novel, somehow replacing my beloved Bill Weaver. I mean, Bill is still cool. He just doesn't do quite as much this time around. Two-Gun gets all the action, but he's better suited to this story than Bill.

Really, this book made me want to go reread the first two and read more stuff and just read it again and again.

Also, would definitely recommend to fans of Stargate. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 7, 2015 |
In the list of reasons to read a new author and a new series, add this: I was upset that a sequel to the excellent [b:Armor|102327|Armor|John Steakley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309201144s/102327.jpg|604650] was never published, so in frustration I tried this book out. If ever there was a setup for disappointment, here was a perfect example. But ... I was pleasantly surprised. [b:Manxome Foe|1624960|Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, #3)|John Ringo|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1186032977s/1624960.jpg|1618980] is opposite Armor in tone, the former being light, as the butter on Panera's toast, and the latter, serious, as a bout of asthma. However, in both cases, the approach is fitting. Manxome is candy to Armor's sour core. Oddly appropriate that I would go from one to the other. The two novels' most striking similarity is the alien enemy --- unyielding, overwhelming and ultimately dumb. (Somehow, these aliens remind me of the Pak of the [b:Ringworld|61179|Ringworld|Larry Niven|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170563307s/61179.jpg|924711] books, purportedly smarter than man and yet bound by the programming of their genetics.)
Ringo and Taylor make it feel like nothing's happening, as the story flows thus: "they flew here" then "they flew there" and, then "the marines made fun of each other". Along the way, the characters meet astonishingly trusting aliens as the tale builds up to the inevitably final battle with the bad guys. There's also a lot of plausible physics to feed us SF geese, not distracting and not absolutely essential to the story, but adding to the fun. The light tone remains even through the most bloody and high-casualty scenes, as if to say, this is not what this story is about. So what is it about? To me, the book spoke of the continuity of life, human or alien, despite the inevitability of death. Quite profound, eh? In overall sum total (does that mean 3 times the whole?), I enjoyed the book. This would be a worthwhile read for anyone who: (a) has just finished Armor, and been depressed by its utter melancholy, (b) is not annoyed by military humor and gory violence, and (c) likes [a:John Scalzi|4763|John Scalzi|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1236228326p2/4763.jpg]. ( )
  ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |

John Ringoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Taylor, Travis Smain authorall editionsconfirmed
Faries, JennieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller,KurtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the loved ones who wait at vigil with
hope that their beloveds will return safely

And especially to those whose beloveds
have given the ultimate sacrifice.
As Always:

For Captain Tamara Long , USAF
born 12 May 1979
Died 23 March, 2003, Afghanistan

You fly with the angels now.
"I'll only do this for Mom, you know."

The 3rd in the Looking Glass series by Travis Taylor and John Ringo. This is the second trip of the A.S.S. Vorpal Blade and the battle with the Dreen is resumed, this time in space.

This is definitely part of a series of books and does not even attempt to address everything that has been going on in the previous books in the series, though it does involve most of the major characters.
__________________
From the Back:
In the midst of recovering from their successful if casualty-prone first mission, the crew of the Alliance Space Ship Vorpal Blade are suddenly scrambled back into action. All other priorities take second palce as word arrives on Earth of a gate colony which has fallen to an unidentified alien assault. As the only space ship available to the Human--Adar Alliance, the Vorpal Blade's new mission is to find out what happened to the colony, rescue any survivors and learn the identity of the attackers - without breaking the ship.
the odd-ball crew of the Vorpal Blade is an unlikely savior, but none dare say they quail at engaging the Manxome Foe.

"Barely recovered from their bloody if successful. first mission, the crew of the Alliance Space Ship Vorpal Blade must scramble back into action when word reaches Earth that a gate colony has been destroyed by an unknown foe. For Bravo Company, First Force Reconnaissance Battalion, (Space Marines) USMC, the first question is obvious." "Yet from the moment of their arrival it becomes obvious the threat is more than one creature. The implacable Dreen, the enemy that nearly conquered Earth through the Looking Glasses, has returned. This time in much less stoppable space ships." "It falls to the Marines and sailors of the Vorpal Blade, with help from new allies to do just that: Stop a Dreen task-force butt-cold. It's a tough job but the motto of the Blade covers the mission: We Don't Go Home Til We're Out of Food or Marines."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible