No title (1997)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Quietly in Their Sleep by Donna Leon (1997)

English (26)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (33)
Commissario Guido Brunetti is surprised to receive an office visit from a young nun who had cared for his mother in a nursing home until she was transferred to a different facility some months earlier. He's even more surprised that the woman has left her order. She was disturbed by the deaths of several patients in the facility where she worked after her transfer. The patients had all died suddenly and of causes that had not troubled them previously. Brunetti looks into some of the deaths but his inquiries don't turn up anything. Just when it looks like there isn't a case, something happens that makes Brunetti realize that the former nun's life is in danger.

I like Brunetti in both his work and home environments. However, he doesn't really do much crime solving in this book. He appeals to his friends and colleagues to use their connections to get information for him, and he surprises a murderer into a confession when there was no evidence to support a murder conviction.

The Venetian setting of this series is its strongest appeal for me. The religious themes addressed in this installment also appealed to me. There is a Catholic religious order at the heart of Brunetti's investigation, and Brunetti's daughter has a problem with her Religious Education course at school that escalates to involve the entire family. I'll keep reading this series for the setting, the relationships Brunetti has with his colleagues and his family, and the special themes that Leon explores in each installment. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 27, 2015 |
I can do without the subject matter, as most people don't discuss it properly & end up discussing it quite ignorantly, as shown with some of the characters. What I did accept was going after certain individuals. I think we'll see Maria Testa again (I haven't read the rest of the series yet). ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
My first Donna Leon - an enjoyable mystery with Opus Dei running through it. I'm going to keep reading her. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |
Good Brunetti book. Easy and fast to read. I like this much. ( )
  Sonkku | Dec 20, 2013 |
An intriguing plunge into religion and morality, goodness and ostentation, and the fears that surround secret societies. As always, Brunetti is in top form, and the ancillary characters -- Paola, Chiara, Elettra, Vianello, Patta -- give the plot the extra punch. ( )
  jennorthcoast | Dec 7, 2013 |

Donna Leonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

È sempre bene
Il sospettare un poco, in questo mondo.

It's always better, in this world,
To be a little suspicious.
    --Così fan tutte,
MOZART
Für Donald McCall
Brunetti sat at his desk and stared at his feet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033034949X, Paperback)

Maria Testa, better known to Brunetti as the nun who once cared for his mother, turns up at the Commissario's door. Maria has left her nursing convent after the suspicious deaths of five patients. Is she creating fears to justify abandoning her vocation, or is there a more sinister scenario?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Commissario Guido Brunetti is kicking his heels, pondering the recent lack of crime in Venice, when a beautiful young woman appears at his office door. Now calling herself Maria Testa, his visitor is more familiar to Brunetti as Suor' Immacolata, the nun who once cared for his mother at the Casa di Cura in Dolo. But Maria has recently left her convent after the unexpected deaths of five patients. Brunetti offers to make some inquiries but finds no obvious cause for concern. Is Maria simply creating fears to justify abandoning her vocation? Or has she stumbled onto a deeply rooted, far more sinister scenario -- and put her own life in grave danger?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible