Get Your War On by David Rees

Get Your War On

by David Rees

Read (72)

If you want to know exactly how we all felt after the 9/11 attacks, read this book. I remember reading the strips when they were first posted online, and it was comforting to know all my confusing thoughts were not singularly my experience.

The way language was used in those days (much as it still is today), was meant to either psych us up for the coming war or psych us out that everything our government was doing was right and necessary for peace. This comic found a humorous approach to that use of language, which is what made it so great. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Dec 2, 2012 |
This is one of the most brilliant things to emerge after 9/11. For me, it summed up the insecurities of the immediate post-9/11 America, as well as speaking to the fears of my own government. For those that were afraid of George W. Bush as much as bin Laden, this comic strip is a must read. It is intelligent, funny, and perceptive... the artwork is non-distracting (redundant office drawing clip-art) and really lets the content shine through while reinforcing the idea of us all putting on a happy face while the world fell apart around us.

If you find a copy, get it, read it, read it again, laugh, cry, and read it again.
  grady.cameron | Oct 14, 2008 |
I was lucky enough to be alerted to the existence of this comic when its first set of strips was published online. Back then Rees seemed to be the only sane voice in the wilderness of yellow ribbon magnet patriots ("I support the troops, but not enough to feel like defacing my car with a bumper sticker!"); he managed to encapsulate in three panels what I was taking paragraphs to get out. This collection contains the first few months of the comic, which are necessarily dated as they deal with current current events, but are still very, very worth reading. Get this book. ( )
  Trismegistus | Dec 23, 2007 |
dee-lightful! i once dated a girl who had these all over her bathroom door. i guess that's what got me reading them... ( )
  arsmith | Dec 18, 2007 |

David Reesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Claro, ChristopheTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitehead, ColsonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 188712876X, Paperback)

The only anecdote to the saccharine 9/11 retrospectives flooding bookshops, this collection of hilarious comic strips - cleverly mixing clip-art of office workers with hip-hop inspired profanities - gives a platform to the fear, frustration, anger and distrust that many Americans and the rest of the world feel concerning U.S. foreign policy and big business in the post-September 11 world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:11 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible