Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge To Terabithia (edition 1995)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:alwright1
Title:Bridge To Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:Scholastic (1995), Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, young adult, Newbery Medal, children's

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

I would save this for an older group also. I think that it is a little too sad for a younger group of kids. I think that this a good book about imagination. I also like the underlying message about bullies. I definitely think that it is good for kids to hear that maybe the people that are bullying them need a little bit of love too. ( )
  s_cat1 | Sep 17, 2018 |
A great read for kids 5th grade through 8th as it is a chapter book with a complex plot. The book is about a boy and girl who become best friends and create a magic kingdom to escape their reality. Then one day tragedy strikes and Jess is left all alone and has to learn how to process the loss of his friend.he book can be used a a yearly reading lost for students, and as a reflective read. Each chapter can be analyzed and students can create a book report, venn diagram. plot analysis etc as a literacy activity.. ( )
  enemory | Sep 15, 2018 |
Owned this for nine years before finally reading it. My daughter warned me about it so I'll warn you, it'll hurt. ( )
  5hrdrive | Aug 18, 2018 |
I'm sure had I read this as a kid I would've found it much more magical than as an adult - I completely acknowledge that.

I remember a lot of my friends reading this when we were in elementary school and I also remember hearing little rumbles of it being incredible controversial (moms talking to other moms and so forth). Reading it as an adult, I don't get what all the fuss was about! I asked my mom after reading it if she remembered what the big deal was and she just kind of rolled her eyes and said it was because one of the characters had drowned in the end and many adults thought that younger kids shouldn't be reading about that sort of thing.

Imagine my shock! That was it!? I'd had The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe read TO ME when I was younger, and the characters sacrifice the most hopeful main character in the book (and in enough detail to a little kid that I was so devastated over Aslan - my heart was shattered). If the Chronicles of Narnia books are completely acceptable to be read to a much younger child, shouldn't it be okay for a kid to read, on their own, a book with a bit of tragedy but so many wonderful lessons to be learned?

But I digress.

This book, reading it as an adult, was just fine - a quick read with a main character that I think many kids could relate to. I would recommend this to younger readers for sure - it would be a great book to do a 'read along' with and to have conversations as they work through the book. While it didn't alter the way I view my life in any way, and it wasn't so amazing that I'll ever pick it up to reread it, it was still a good book. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 27, 2018 |
Jess strives to be the fastest runner in his school, but Leslie Burke beats him. Instead of being jealous, Jess admires Leslie's skill, confidence, and wild imagination. The two become friends and spend hours in the woods by their houses creating a magical kingdom, Terabithia. The two embark on imaginative adventures until ,one day, Jess returns from the art museum to discover Leslie drowned trying to cross the river to Terabithia. After his initial grief, Jess ends up building a bridge across the river so he can show his little sister the land of Terabithia. I would use this book to connect to plot sequencing because there is a definite climax. Due to it's exposure to loss, this book is likely intended for 4th to 7th graders. Personally, I loved this book because it addresses loss and exposes children's innocence. ( )
  K.Luna | Apr 30, 2018 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,511,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible