Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Owned - Physical
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

This book is very dark, but could be very useful in a classroom. It shows multiple perspectives of incidences, how life can be unexpected,and how to move on. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 29, 2016 |
I both liked and dislike this book for two reasons. I liked the characters in the story. The book is about a friendship between a boy and a girl. I really enjoyed both of the characters and how they interacted as friends and even supported and defended each other over the course of the book. However, I disliked the ending of this story. I did not enjoy the fact that the girl, Leslie died. I think that this part of the story was unnecessary and I wish it had a happier ending. The big idea in this story was that people come into our lives and impact us, even if they are only present for a small portion of our lives. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 26, 2016 |
The Bridge to Terabithia is a story about a boy and a girl that come from two completely different walks of life. They are both not socially excepted at school or by their families. The two of them come to together to create a friendship after discovering the others love for drawing.They create an imaginary place that is just a rope swing away. The two often swung across the creek on a rope to reach the land they created. Sadly, the girl falls off the swing and falls to her death.

In the story the boy and girl become friends and show that we don't all have to be alike to be friends. I enjoyed this Newbery winning story because it allows children to use their imagination. It shows that being creative is okay.

Classroom Extension 1: I would have the students journal about what they would like to find in Terabithia. I would ask them to share with the class.

Classroom Extension 2: I would make a pie chart with the students and compare the two main characters. ( )
  AngieOliviaDodd | Apr 18, 2016 |
A wonderful story that really shows the value of friendship and loss. This story was one of my favorites when I was in middle school. The story was just one that I cant forget. The story about a boy who created a summer friendship with a girl. I always loved the imagination of Terabithia that they created the place that they could escape to. While also dealing with loss of the girl the boy learns to move forward. I never expected the loss of the girl when I read the book. The loss and reading how the boy dealt with it helped me realize what life can throw at you. That you have to overcome obstacles in life but you have the wonderful memories you made with friends. it is no surprise in why this won the Newberry medal.
  Katie-Langston | Apr 18, 2016 |
Summary
This book is about a young boy and girl who come from two completely different lifestyles that become friends because of their interest in drawing. The two friends create an imaginary place just a rope swing away that takes them to "another world" far from bullies and annoying families. The book also discusses death after a tragic accident happens.

Personal Reaction
I thought this book was amazing. I remember watching the movie when it came out as a child, but now after reading the book I love the story even more. I liked how it talked about death because even though we try to keep children believing it will not happen to someone they know, it could. I also liked how detailed the book was when it came to describing things in Terabithia. It made me feel like a little kid again.

Classroom Extension
1. The students could spend some time drawing after the story of what they would want in Terabithia if it was theirs.
2. We could have free time, maybe close to the end of the year testing, and watch the movie and afterward compare and contrast, as a class, the book and the movie. ( )
  MeganHeinrich | Apr 12, 2016 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible