Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Owned - Physical
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson is about a boy named Jesse and a girl named Leslie. They were enemies and really mean to each other. Then they started to know each other more and started to like each other even more. But, out of nowhere Leslie is killed in the forest. Jesse was so sad he started to cry so hard.

I liked this book because I am a little bit of a romantic. I like how they transitioned from enemies to friends. This book was not how I expected, but it taught me a lesson on how to be a good friend. It doesn't matter what gender you are, friendship still stays the same. Jesse cared about Leslie. This showed when he cried after her death. ( )
  IsabellaL11 | May 22, 2016 |
This book is about how these to boy and girl meat and the girl wants to run in the 5th grade recess ternoment that all the boys do. But no girls ever did it. So the girl started running at resect and beating every one. Every one was impressed, but the teachers could never find out alerwise she would get in trouble. They were in the woods one day together and made a Magic Kingdom called Terabithia. But one morning a terrible tragedy happened, Leslie the girl was in Terabithia and was on a rope that went over the water, but some how she fell off and banged her head on something. Every one new she was a great swimmer. Jess the boy was so so so sad. He thought it was all a dream after this acident but it wasn't. When he went to the funeral he could not find the body any where, but then they said that they were going to cremate her. He was so sad that he ran back home, he wanted to make this dissuasion on what they did to her body. Jess new that she gave him courage and strength. I would recommend this book to 4th Graders and up. I think every one would love love this book. A few things I liked about the book is that it had a good picture going through my head and I liked the story line. ( )
  AlexisF7 | May 21, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book for two reasons. First, I liked the main message of imagination is limitless. The main characters create a magical kingdom in the woods where they may escape from reality. I also enjoyed the theme of friendship and how this book showed the development of a friendship that started out rocky, and then bloomed into an inseparable relationship. ( )
  KatherineNelson | May 3, 2016 |
Jesse is an adolescent whose life changes when he befriends Leslie. Leslie is known as the class outsider. They create an imaginary world called "Terabithia", which has many magical creatures. Though difficulties fill their lives, and Jesse and Leslie rule as king and queen in "Terabithia." Soon tragedy strikes when one of the friends must draw on the strength of their imaginary kingdom to cope with the sad realities of life.
  mbrandel | May 3, 2016 |
Bridge to Terabithia was one of my favorite books to read. The first reason I liked this book was because of the two main characters, Jess and Leslie. They were two best friends, who were very believable characters. There are a lot of people who don't have huge groups of friends growing up and can relate to what it is like to have one very good friend. They have to deal with bullies and when they go to Teribithia, none of that matters to them. Another reason I liked the story was because of the plot. Although, there is a sad twist and Leslie ends up dying, it shows how strong Jess is and how much of an impact Leslie made on his life. The main message of this book is that the right friends can leave their marks in our lives, even when they aren't here anymore. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,861,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible