Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

12,197427207 (4.03)228
Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Owned - Physical
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

GR: T
GL: 4.6
DRA: 50
Lexile: 810L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
Fiction
  CPI | Jul 29, 2016 |
Summary:
This book follows two very imaginative fifth graders, Jesse Aarons and Leslie Burke. Jesse had four sisters and was the middle child. He really enjoyed running and was trying to be the fastest kid in fifth grade. There was a big race and the day of he was prepared and ready and beat all of the boys in the fifth grade. Leslie the new girl raced also though and beat everyone including Jesse. Jesse does not like her at all at first but they then become best friends. They find a spot in the woods and call it Terabithia. A day came along that the two of them were supposed to go to Terabithia together but Jesse got invited to go somewhere else and Leslie went alone. Jesse comes back that night and finds out that Leslie drowned and died when the rope snapped while trying to go to Terabithia. Jesse has a lot of trouble dealing with his loss but in the end manages to cope with help from others.

Personal Reaction:
I thought this book was amazing. I never saw the movie that came out for this book a few years back so when I read it this was the first time I had heard anything about it. It was such a good book and told an amazing story.

Classroom Extension:
1. This would be a great book for anyone who has lost someone close to them and how to deal with it.
2. This would be a great lesson on children going out and finding a place to call their own and playing outside.
  dillonmarsh | Jul 25, 2016 |
This is a great book about Jesse and Leslie who were good friends. They come up with a imaginary magical world called Terabithia, where they rule. The two of them have some great experiences in their imaginary world. Then one day when Jesse is away with his teacher, Leslie goes to Terabithia by herself. Jesse finds out when he returns home that Leslie had drown in the river. Jesse is lost without his best friend. In the end of the book he takes his little sister across to Terabithia.
I wanted to read this book because I had seen the movie. I was surprised that I liked the movie better. It is still a good story about friendship and grief.
I would only read this book to older elementary children, I am not sure younger children would understand the death of the girls.
For the class one could use this book to talk about grief and how Jesse handled Leslie's death. I would also have them write about a imaginary place they thought of and draw a picture of it. ( )
  LoriES12 | Jul 25, 2016 |
Made me cry ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 24, 2016 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,315,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible