Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Owned - Physical
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.

I hadn't read this book since I was a kid, so I decided I should read it again. As I was reading it, I kept thinking that I probably wasn't going to cry this time, and it wasn't quite as heart wrenching as I remembered. But sure enough, by the last two chapters, I had tears streaming down my face. Such lovable characters! ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This was a greta read, however, I was still disappointed in it. My favorite part of the book were the many relationships between all of the characters and how complex they were; as all real relationships are. I especially loved the dynamic of Jesse and Leslie and the ways that their characters are alike and different in ways that enable a truly magical bond. Although I do not agree with any book being banned, I see why this one has been banned in the past as the loss of Leslie is cannot help but break ones heart and leave them devastated; however, I do feel that this is the book's strongest point. My disappointment from this story came from wishing that the imaginative land of Terabithia was explained in more detail. I wish the book had a more positive outlook on creative, imaginative play to balance the sadness of the loss of Leslie. I really did not like that it seemed like Jesse took Leslie's death as a sign to move on from the games of Terabithia. I do not think that anyone, regardless of age, should lose the magic, creativity of childhood. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Aug 10, 2015 |
A classic story of friendship and loss that centers on young Jesse Aarons, a boy growing up in rural Virginia who feels like he doesn't fit with his family or community. Jess loves to draw, and he loves learning about music and art, but his father works hard as a farmer to eke out an existence for his wife and children, and has no patience for foolishness like art. The book opens with Jesse working hard at his daily run. School is about to begin, and Jesse wants to prove himself the fastest runner in the fourth grade. He also meets his new neighbor, Leslie Burke, before the first day of school, but he isn't much interested. She really gets his attention at school, though, when she beats him in the race he has been training for all summer. Now Jesse isn't disinterested, he is angry. Leslie, however, seems determined to be his friend, and is hurt by Jesse's antagonism.

Jesse's attitude changes at the end of the week, though, in music class. This class is led by his favorite teacher, Miss Edmunds, with whom Jesse is a little infatuated. Most of the other kids mock the class, but Leslie is openly enchanted, and she bonds with Jesse over their mutual delight with the class and the teacher. From that day on, they become close friends. Leslie appreciates and encourages Jesse in his art, and Jesse is a great audience to all of Leslie's stories and fantasies. Leslie is the only child of a wealthier family from Washington, D.C., who moved to Jesse's hometown to try to recover some traditional values and a simpler lifestyle. They don't have to obsess over every day's existence, like Jesse's parents do, and they are educated and cultured. Through Leslie, Jesse experiences a world he never suspected, one that encourages his interest in art and stories, and he finally feels like he knows people who understand him.

Jesse and Leslie decide to create an imaginary land called Terabithia. In this place, they are king and queen, and they have to fight off attackers and perform secret rites. Events in Terabithia are frequently imaginative recastings of things that happen in their regular lives. For example, when they are confronted with the attention of bully , they enact stories where the kingdom is besieged by villains and they must go to battle to repel them. With this secret, Jesse finds his life transformed from monotonous drudgery to one with hidden delight, and he is truly happy. This improved state of affairs continues for a while, until the spring rains come and tragedy strikes. Jesse is invited to accompany Miss Edmunds to Washington D.C. to visit the museums, and while he is gone, Leslie swings out over the swollen and rapid river, strikes her head, falls, and drowns. Jesse returns at the end of the day to discover the horrible news, and his world shatters.

The last couple of chapters portray his grief and slow healing, with a deft and realistic touch that will make every reader cry. I did, and even my husband admitted to teary eyes. The first part of the story is a fantastic depiction of friendship and imagination, and the latter part is a completely believable presentation of grief and possible healing. The entire book is a moving coming-of-age story that explores two different worlds, with respect for both, and creates rounded and vibrant characters that feel like real people. The story is not long, but it spans the highlights of human life, all from a child's perspective. I was wrapped up in the world completely while I read. Literature entertains us and helps us escape reality, but it also helps us process the harder things in life, such as death and loss. This is a lovely book that explores a difficult topic in a way that is appropriate and helpful for children. More than that, it is just a wonderful story. ( )
  nmhale | Jul 5, 2015 |
Possibly amongst the best books that I've read about grief and loss. The story is about two friends and their make-believe world. It reminds me a great deal of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, and shares similar themes, yet unlike Fault, is more about the struggle of being different, alone, and disconnected, than being ill. Both children are healthy. It's in some respects a more haunting book than Green's and a more layered one. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | Jun 9, 2015 |
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,999,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible