Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Books I can lend you
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.

Jess has determination He wants to be the fast's kid in fifth grade. but when Leslie comes she is the fast's in the beginning they really aren't friends but then the start to become best friends. They make this secret world together were they are the rulers they call it Terabithia. I liked this book because It really had emotion and description. this book can be a little confusing at times. I recommend this book if you like a little bit of sadness in books. ( )
  lillybennett | May 24, 2015 |
Read a review of the audio version of this 1978 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/10/1978-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
This heart breaking yet heart felt novel is an excellent representation of imagination yet loss. Two friends travel through the woods and use their imagination when finding a ripe swing in the woods. This novel is to be read with discretion to the students because of a death if a young girl. Children at a young age are not familiar with death. When these two friends use their imagination almost anything is possible. I would assign this book to a group of 5th graders because I feel as though it is an appropriate age to encounter death related novels.
  mbabst | May 4, 2015 |
The Bridge to Terabithia is about a place in the woods that two kids create. Jess and Leslie are the rulers. They made the actual forts and the imaginary world themselves. It is a secret place that you have to cross a stream to get to. No matter what is going on in their "real" lives Jess and Leslie have Terabithia where they are in charge. Jess and Leslie are best friends and towards the end of the story Leslie tragically dies trying to cross the stream.

I loved this book! I am a very imaginative person and I really liked that it showed that you could be two different people. You can create your own reality in games and in real life. I also liked that it showed that no one is completely bad. I think most people have good and bad in them and this story showed that in the teacher who ended up supporting Jess when Leslie died. I am also adventurous and this story showed that adventures are what make you grow as a person. I think that although Leslie died if she could do it over again she still would have taken risks. Sometimes risks have negative consequences but living life to the fullest is something you will never regret.

My favorite part is when Jess shows May Bella Terabithia and makes her queen for the day. I really like showing my brother my made up worlds and he really likes being a part of them too! ( )
  KendallCH | Apr 30, 2015 |
I read this enchanting book for the first time at age 10 and I remember wishing for and fantasizing about having a secret hideout myself. I also remember crying... a lot. The story is extraordinarily engaging and while the foreshadowing of Leslie’s death seemed a little heavy-handed this reading around, I did have to choke back tears nonetheless. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 23, 2015 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:19 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,244,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible