Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Owned - Physical
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

English (461)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (463)
I picked up this book at a thrift store, it stuck out to me because I had recently seen the film. I love Josh Hutcherson.

Anyway, the book was a little hard for me to get through. It's a good story. But it was just the style of writing, I wasn't used to it.

The movie is much sadder then the book, not that book wasn't sad. It was. It was just sadder seeing the little girls death on screen. It had a much bigger impact.

It's a good story. Probably a little harder for children to get through, but as a teen or adult this would be a good book to read. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This about a boy meeting a girl and they became best friends. They were together all the time, and one day the girl died. This book is appropriate for high elementary and above. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
This book is about a young soon-to-be-5th grader that is named Jess. In 3-5th grade there is this competition called "The Run". It mostly happens after lunch at recess. One day he meets a young girl named Leslie, which is in his 5th grade class, and runs with the "boy's only" competition. Surprisingly Leslie wins the heat and the whole thing. She then get bullied by the boys and Jess stands up to her. They then build a friendship and start hanging out around where they live. They build a tree house and a "new world" call Terabithia, the only way to get there is to swing on a vine over a river. Then a terrible tragedy occurred and Jess struggles to cope with it. He then learns to accept what has happened and acquires closure with himself and his feelings.

This book really touched my heart when I finished this book. I loved how Jess stood up for her against the other boys. If I were Jess I would go up to one of those boys and beat them up! I'm not kidding they were being real jerks to Leslie. I was so sad at the end when Leslie died I almost cried, I had the same reaction with the movie. All I have to say right now is that I love this book and I hope everyone could read this.
  luisalucas101 | Jun 1, 2017 |
UGH THIS BOOK.

Disclaimer: I’ve never seen the movie, but I was aware of the most significant plot point going in to this book. I still think the book is incredibly emotional and powerful, so even if you’ve seen the movie or you know the plot, I think you should read this book.

Also, from what I can tell from movie trailers (I’ve no desire to watch the movie), there’s a big fantasy element in there that really isn’t found in the book. Yes, Jess and Leslie create a magical world named Terabithia and they go there to hang out, but this isn’t a fantasy novel. If you’re looking for middle-grade fantasy, Terabithia is not the place to find it.

It is, however, the place to find FEELS.

Jess is the sort of kid that you feel for, even before his blossoming friendship with Leslie. He can’t seem to catch a break, but he doesn’t let himself get too down about it. He has a semi-secret passion for drawing – his father would see it as weak and his classmates at school would tease him, but he continues to draw and imagine what he would draw despite all that. Leslie has pluck and she’s incredibly intelligent and does a little gender-bending given that the book is set in the 1970s.

There are not a lot of pages in this book, so I feel a little constrained in regards to what I say because really you should just read this book (AND FEEL THE FEELS) for yourself, if you haven’t yet. I don’t know why I didn’t pick it up sooner, honestly. This is easily one of my top middle-grade books and I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a contemporary tale of friendship and loss. Also, my cover is gorgeous. ( )
1 vote MillieHennessy | May 9, 2017 |
This is a great book about two young children with a bright imagination. The children struggled in day to day life but when they were in their fantasy land all of their problems went away. The children grew as individuals and learned many lessons. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It has a good story line and very touching. ( )
  a.newsom | May 1, 2017 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible