Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Books I can lend you
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Recently added byprivate library, kalbach, Katiem21, DawnAndrews, katieray, books-are-awesome, aeiouna, RdeJonge, RSSAA
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.

Bridge To Terabithia-by Katherine Paterson
Summary- this is the story about Jesse Aarons and Leslie Burke. These two children become friends and create a magical kingdom in the woods near their houses. While in this kingdom named Terabithia, the find themselves having many adventures, with battles, kings and queens, trolls and many other things. At the end of the book Leslie dies due to the rope used to get into Teribithia breaks and hits her head and falls into a creek.
Personal Reaction- This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I had a very wild imaginations, and when I would get board ( most often on long care rides) would find myself imagining places like Terabithia. I think this would be a good book for older kids, because there is a death I don’t think I would want to have children under 4th grade read it.
Classroom extension.
1.“Make your own Terabithia”. Have the kid create his or her own magical kingdom like in Teribithia. Have the children write paragraphs about what their kingdom would look like and what adventures they would go one.
2. “Read then Watch ” After reading the book allow the kids to watch the movie. Have the kids keep a list of things that were different from the book to the movie. ( )
  Sarah0423 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary
Bridge to Terabithia is a children’s novel that follows Jesse Aarons and Leslie Burke, two lonely children who create a magical kingdom in the woods behind their houses, called Terabithia. They battle magical monsters and creatures and create a world in which they are the rulers, so they can let their imagination run wild. At the end, however, Leslie dies after the rope swing leading to Terabithia breaks and hits her head and falls in the creek.
Personal Reaction
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I had first read it when I was in middle school. When I saw the cover I thought it was going to be a completely different book, but while I was reading it, I was immediately drawn in. When I got to the part where Leslie died, I cried and had to put the book down for a few hours before I finished it and cried again at the end.
Extension Ideas:
1) We can create our own personal Terabithia and what we would like to see in it.
2) In class I can have the students read the book and then write a journal entry as to how they liked the end.
  GSoto95 | Mar 25, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book! I really love the plot throughout this story. The story follows the life of Jesse Aarons. The story really shows readers how difficult and unfair life can be. Although Jesse suffers from depression and anger he is able to rise above it after befriending Leslie. This story shows the importance of friendship and shows readers there is always a silver lining. After Leslie dies, Jesse is able to properly grieve and continue living without Leslie. It shows that life goes on and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I also really love how realistic the characters are. Many readers can relate to Jesse and his life struggles. His characteristics can be found in many young children which allows them to connect with the story on a deeper level.
The main idea of this story is friendship and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. ( )
  csmith109 | Mar 24, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is an exceptional chapter book for young readers. I read this book when I was younger but I believe that going back as an adult reader brought more meaning to the story. I love this book because it allows for young readers to use their imagination and create a visual image of the enchanted land called Terabithia. The author uses very descriptive words to elaborate on the imaginary setting that the characters created. I believe that students reading the book may have a different visual in their head when thinking about Terabithia. The next reason I enjoyed reading this book is because the characters and their relationships were very well developed. Leslie and Jess’s relationship started off not very well but grew into a very loving friendship. One of the most remarkable aspects of Jess and Leslie's friendship is that in spite of their differences in background, the two are able to accept each other unconditionally and form a strong friendship. I enjoyed reading this chapter book because it truly pushes young readers to think about tough issues and broadens perspectives. It is often times very challenging for readers of all ages to read text or a story that includes a very tragic and sad ending, being death. I believe this idea is very controversial with young readers. However, the ending helps readers to explore the idea of death, allowing for those who have lost a loved one to relate to Jess’s experience. Also, it allows for readers who have not lost a loved one to understand what grief is like. The final reason I enjoyed this book is because it ends with a somewhat positive note by focusing on the ways that Leslie’s life continues to affect Jess even after her death. The main idea of this book is to tell the wonderful story of two very different friends and the magical adventures that they went on during their childhood. ( )
  mbolle1 | Mar 11, 2015 |
Fantastic! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:19 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,294,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible