Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Books I can lend you
Rating:***
Tags:death, virginia, young adult, fiction, newbery award, 1-b, 2-own-parents, 3-read

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)
    Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.

Summary: The story develops around the friendship two outcast Jess and Leslie. Leslie beats Jess in a running contest she is now the fastest runner in the 5th grade. Soon Jess and Leslie start spending a lot of time together. The story builds off the imaginations these two children have. There is an area near the woods only accessed by a swing over the creek. This soon becomes their kingdom. It soon becomes a safe haven for both of these outcast. Soon the rainy weather makes it very hard for Jess and Leslie to make it to Terabithia. One day after a school trip Jess learns that Leslie died trying to swing over the creek. The story ends with Jess building a bridge over the creek, saying 'Welcome to Terabithia!"

Personal:The story starts off slow but is built up very well around the two central characters. The story has a wonderful meaning behind it. You could feel what Jess lost when Leslie died.

Classroom extensions:1)Have the students write about a time that they were scared to do something, and what they did to over come that.
2)Have the students write a letter to the Burks pretending to be Jess, telling them how much Leslie friendship meant to him.
  pambam_11 | Oct 17, 2014 |
This book was enjoyable for many reasons. Firstly the characters were relatable and had flaws. When Jesse and Leslie promised to get revenge on Janice they were mean and gave her a fake love letter. Later on though Jess feels bad for his choices and makes up for it by sending Leslie to comfort Janice. Another reason I liked the book was because of the unrelenting imagination shown by the two main characters. Jess and Leslie dreamed up a whole world named Terabithia, where they were the rulers of the kingdom. The last reason I liked this book is because of how you see Jess understand Leslie’s death. At first he denies it and tells himself he will see Leslie tomorrow but soon after understands the truth. He then thinks he could have invited her to Washington and blames himself. After finally accepting what has happened and mourning, he knows he’ll always remember Leslie and how she impacted his life.
I think the big picture of this story is to find the people who you can be yourself around and keep them close. After a while Jess did not care the other kids thought Leslie was odd. He accepted her and together they imagined and dreamed. ( )
  StephanieWeiner | Oct 16, 2014 |
I liked Bridge to Terabithia for three reasons. I really liked how the author created the characters. She made them realistic and it was easy to imagine their every day lives. The life of Jess was also realistic. You could picture his family and all of his chores and it didn't seem like something that was so far fetched. Another reason I liked this book was because of the plot. I liked how to story progressed. I liked how at the end of the book, Jess made May Belle the new queen of Terabithia. I thought this was an interesting way to end the story and I thought that it showed a lot about Jess as a character as well. A final reason why I liked this book was because of the emotion. When reading a book, it is sometimes hard to capture all of the emotion on a page. I really felt the emotion at the part where Jess was screaming that he hated Leslie. You could feel how much he cared for her and how angry he was that she was gone. The big idea that I got from this chapter book was that you need to appreciate what you have when it's there and that you need to move on when things happen. ( )
  kelleemorcomb | Oct 15, 2014 |
(4.6)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
“Bridge to Terabithia” is an incredibly moving story, and I liked it very much for two important reasons. First of all, I really appreciate the complexities of Jess’s character, which were most evident after the death of Leslie. He felt anger, sadness, and even like it was done to him by Leslie. His reaction to this horrible news felt very real to me, very human. Even though the story was told in third person, the reader gains really intimate insight into Jess’s emotions and thoughts. I also liked how each section was given a name that represented the following parts. It was like a little peak into what was to come, and I liked to be able to reflect back on what its meaning was.
I think a big message in this story, outside of the obvious theme of friendship, is overcoming fears. Jess had several fears throughout the story (of being judged, of the bullies, of the water, of people knowing he enjoyed painting) and he not only overcame some of these, but helped others to overcome theirs as well, like May Belle’s fear of crossing the bridge. Jess’s relationship with Leslie helped Jess become closer to his own father and to his younger sisters. In all, she made him less afraid of being himself, and being proud of that. ( )
  ElizabethHaaser | Oct 13, 2014 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:19 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,356,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible