Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (edition 1987)

by Katherine Paterson, Donna Diamond (Illustrator)

Member:b02l23p88
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Other authors:Donna Diamond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1987), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

I never thought that this book would make me cry especially because it was an unexpected death. The story starts by 2 young children becoming best friends and creating an imaginative world for themselves. They would spend hours in Terabithia filled with magical creatures, but one day a tragedy happened causing Jess to give up on Terabithia. This book is more for young adults that are independent readers and can read higher vocabulary. ( )
  always_smile_jo | Nov 26, 2018 |
This book is about two kids named Jesse and Leslie, who creates an inseparable friendship. The two create a magical kingdom in the woods called Terabithia, where they reign as queen and king. Their imagination is endless until a tragedy occurs. This book is so sweet and sad. The middle school would probably be the best time to read this book. You could also watch the movie after you read the book and compare the two. You could also do activities that allow the students to create their own imaginary place. ( )
  SavG. | Nov 26, 2018 |
This book is about young boy named Jessie who has just moved in on the country side. Because Jessie is the new kid he has a hard time fitting in, that is until he meets a girl named Leslie. Jessie and Leslie ends up becoming best friends and decides to create their own magical kingdom in the forest called Terabithia. While in Terabithia these two go on a lot of adventurous until Leslie is suddenly killed in accident that changes Jessie world. This book can be used for a guided reading lesson plan. ( )
  taylor26. | Nov 25, 2018 |
This is probably the fourth of fifth time I've read this book.

As always, it made me sad.

Two of my brothers warned me that I SHOULD NOT READ this book, because they were aware it would make me cry. I was aware it would make me cry, too, but I didn't remember quite how sad it would make me until I started crying.

This is an excellent, touching book about friendship and growing up and shit happens and it will make your children cry!

But everyone should read this book at some point in their life. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This book is about two children that make up an imaginary place where they can be themselves and have fun. This could be used in the classroom to teach using your imagination and being yourself. I would use this book for older grades since this is a chapter book and the target audience is middle grades. ( )
  Megannau1 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,696,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible