Bridge to Teribithia by Katherine Paterson;…

Bridge to Teribithia (original 1977; edition 2007)

by Katherine Paterson; Illustrator-Donna Diamond

Title:Bridge to Teribithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson; Illustrator-Donna Diamond
Info:HarperEntertainment (2007), Paperback
Tags:verry sad, magical, death, very good frendship

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Author) (1977)

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

It is about a boy named Jess and his friend a girl named Leslie who meet at school and become friends quickly build a secret fantisyland across a creek in the woods behind their houses. They call the place Terabithia and they go there to forget the rest of the world and all their real life troubles. Jess goes on an art trip with his teacher at school and loves it but then that day comes home to tell Leslie all about it and when he gets there receives the news that she had drown trying to cross the rope swing that got them into Terabithia that morning. He goes through extreme phases after this and then finally decides the way to carry on is to make his little sister May Belle the new Queen of Terabithia to preserve Leslie's memory.

Personal Reaction:
I loved reading this book. I have read it previously. It reminds me of my sisters, my friends, and myself always going down to play in the creek as kids. The end of the story is very sad though.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the kids keep a journal and write what would happen in their own kingdom after we have read our reading for the day.
2) Have a movie day and watch the movie of it after we finish reading the book.
3) Have the students compare and contrast the book and the movie.
  connorshayne | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a boy named Jessie who develops a friendship with his new neighbor named Leslie. Jessie could not stand Leslie in the beginning because she beat him in a competition but she eventually grows on him. The pair form a bond together and create their own imaginary land called Terabithia. The only way to get to this land is to cross over a bridge using a rope swing. The two become rulers of their land. One day tragedy strikes and Jessie losses Leslie. Jessie goes through the stages of grieving but eventually realizes that he still needs to remember all the good times him and Leslie had together. In the end Jessie decides to share Tarabithia with his sister.

Personal Reaction: I have never read this book until now. I thought it was a great book and it did make me cry in the end. I feel that this book should be used for older children because it touches on difficult subjects, such as death. I did like this book because it showed the value of friendship.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Have the students write a short report about their best friend.
2. Have the students watch the movie in class and them have them write a compare and contrast paper pertaining to the book versus the movie.
  Aburke73505 | Nov 18, 2015 |
The friendship behind this story is absolutely touching. I loved reading about Leslie and Jesses friendship and how they balance each other out very well in their time in Terabithia.
  ninaberger | Nov 16, 2015 |
Wonderful book for upper elementary. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
Excellent young adult book. I heard about this in September when a speaker at our library conference said this book saved his sanity while in the Middle East, fighting a war he didn't want, didn't understand and just wanted to escape from.

Jess and Leslie make an unusual pair. Jess a child of poor parents who loves to draw and Leslie a child of well-to-do parents that is smart and new to school. The track of their year in the 4th grade is marked with fear, laughter and an imagination that lights up both of them.

Highly recommended, for anyone, not just the YA's that its label implies.

I did have to get this book twice, the first copy from a public library was defaced with black magic markers, to censor the book. It made me so mad I didn't even try to finish it at the time. I requested it via Interlibrary Loan, got another copy that was marked but this time with light pencil underlining moving passages. As a librarian I don't condone either helpful person. You may mark up your own books, leave the library books alone. ( )
  bookswoman | Nov 1, 2015 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, KatherineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible