A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries)…

A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries) (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Peter Robinson

Member:Romonko
Title:A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries)
Authors:Peter Robinson
Info:Avon (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Series, Read but unowned
Tags:British, Police Procedural, Insp. Banks, Favourinte series

A Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson (1988)

Another good read by Peter Robinson. Quite different to the first book in the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Peter Robinson gives us an inside look at police procedures as Inspector Banks solves the mystery of Harry Steadman's murder, a man whom nobody seems to have had a problem with. Robinson's characters are well developed and the story holds your interest right down to the last page. I will definitely be continuing with this series. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Chief Inspector Alan Banks is called to investigate the murder of a man found in a field near the small English village where he lives. Banks found that the man appeared to be a good husband and dedicated to pursuing his interest in history since inheriting a lot of money and quitting his teaching job. Banks interviews many people in the small town but thinks someone is lying.

This was a well-written police procedural that slowly reveals the characters and their involvement. I did think that the motive for the killer was a little weak but overall I enjoyed it. The style is along the lines of P.D. James. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 19, 2015 |
A Dedicated Man, by Peter Robinson, is the second Inspector Banks novel. A former professor who has come into an inheritance, quit his job and moved to the Dales in order to pursue his interest in the industrial history of the area, has been found dead, and there is no shortage of suspects for Inspector Banks to consider. There's the man's mousy wife, who may not have wanted to make the move; there's the former folk singer who was unusually close to the much older man; there are local friends who might have reason to be jealous of the man. But it's the clues garnered by a second death that lead Banks to the true answer.... I'm enjoying discovering this series; I had heard about it for years but have only just starting reading it. I like the way Banks' professional and personal lives intersect, and I like all the recurring characters. Robinson plays fair with his readers, offering intrigue and honest clues, and so far I haven't been able to solve the mystery before his detective does, a good thing in a mystery series! Recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Aug 11, 2015 |
I had hoped that I might have discovered a long series of police procedurals that I could work my way through, but I don't think I will be doing that. This is set in Yorkshire and features Chief Inspector Alan Banks, who is trying to solve murder case. He spends a lot of time questioning people quite gently in a Midsomer Murders kind of way, while knocking back pints (and more pints) of beer at lunch time and smoking a pipe.

There were things about this novel which I enjoyed: Banks seemed to be a well-adjusted family man with no hidden past tragedy and his relationships with his colleagues were realistically portrayed. However, the standard of the writing was not great (favourite line: "I think I was responding to her sexual power unconsciously, and I was put off by her appearance") and the female characters were a bit off somehow. Penny Cartwright seemed to spend the novel having massive mood swings and behaving completely incoherently. Her back story was odd - I don't think people do make up incest-style gossip at all readily personally.

While I'm glad the villain was who it turned out to be, I don't think we were given enough clues to work things out for ourselves and Banks kind of stumbled across the answer by discovering the baddies red-handed. Finally, the whole Poirot-style "this is how it went down" explanation at the end was very unprofessional, since it is addressed to his wife and two civilians (and he found out most of it from a confession).

Disappointed. ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 8, 2014 |
They were right, my dear, all those voices were right
And still are; this land is not the sweet home that it looks,
Nor its peace the historical calm of a site
Where something was settled once and for all . . .

W. H. AUDEN
'In Praise of Limestone'
For Jan
When the sun rose high enough to clear the slate roofs on the other side of the street, it crept though a chink in Sally Lumb's curtains and lit on a strand of gold-blonde hair that curled over her cheek.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380716453, Mass Market Paperback)

A dedicated man is dead in the Yorkshire dales -- a former university professor, wealthy historian and archaeologist who loved his adopted village. It is a particularly heinous slaying, considering the esteem in which the victim, Harry Steadman, was held by his neighbors and colleagues -- by everyone, it seems, except the one person who bludgeoned the life out of the respected scholar and left him half-buried in a farmer's field.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks left the violence of London behind for what he hoped would be the peaceful life of a country policeman. But the brutality of Steadman's murder only reinforces one ugly, indisputable truth: that evil can flourish in even the most bucolic of settings. There are dangerous secrets hidden in the history of this remote Yorkshire community that have already led to one death. And Banks will have to plumb a dark and shocking local past to find his way to a killer before yesterday's sins cause more blood to be shed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

When a well-liked, respected former university professor is bludgeoned to death in his adopted village in the Yorkshire Dales, Chief Inspector Alan Banks must sift through dark secrets to solve this seemingly motiveless murder.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible