A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries)…

A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries) (original 1988; edition 1992)

by Peter Robinson

Title:A Dedicated Man (Inspector Banks Mysteries)
Authors:Peter Robinson
Info:Avon (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Series, Read but unowned
Tags:British, Police Procedural, Insp. Banks, Favourinte series, Favourite Series

A Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson (1988)

Chief Inspector Alan Banks is called to investigate the murder of a man found in a field near the small English village where he lives. Banks found that the man appeared to be a good husband and dedicated to pursuing his interest in history since inheriting a lot of money and quitting his teaching job. Banks interviews many people in the small town but thinks someone is lying.

This was a well-written police procedural that slowly reveals the characters and their involvement. I did think that the motive for the killer was a little weak but overall I enjoyed it. The style is along the lines of P.D. James. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 19, 2015 |
A Dedicated Man, by Peter Robinson, is the second Inspector Banks novel. A former professor who has come into an inheritance, quit his job and moved to the Dales in order to pursue his interest in the industrial history of the area, has been found dead, and there is no shortage of suspects for Inspector Banks to consider. There's the man's mousy wife, who may not have wanted to make the move; there's the former folk singer who was unusually close to the much older man; there are local friends who might have reason to be jealous of the man. But it's the clues garnered by a second death that lead Banks to the true answer.... I'm enjoying discovering this series; I had heard about it for years but have only just starting reading it. I like the way Banks' professional and personal lives intersect, and I like all the recurring characters. Robinson plays fair with his readers, offering intrigue and honest clues, and so far I haven't been able to solve the mystery before his detective does, a good thing in a mystery series! Recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Aug 11, 2015 |
I had hoped that I might have discovered a long series of police procedurals that I could work my way through, but I don't think I will be doing that. This is set in Yorkshire and features Chief Inspector Alan Banks, who is trying to solve murder case. He spends a lot of time questioning people quite gently in a Midsomer Murders kind of way, while knocking back pints (and more pints) of beer at lunch time and smoking a pipe.

There were things about this novel which I enjoyed: Banks seemed to be a well-adjusted family man with no hidden past tragedy and his relationships with his colleagues were realistically portrayed. However, the standard of the writing was not great (favourite line: "I think I was responding to her sexual power unconsciously, and I was put off by her appearance") and the female characters were a bit off somehow. Penny Cartwright seemed to spend the novel having massive mood swings and behaving completely incoherently. Her back story was odd - I don't think people do make up incest-style gossip at all readily personally.

While I'm glad the villain was who it turned out to be, I don't think we were given enough clues to work things out for ourselves and Banks kind of stumbled across the answer by discovering the baddies red-handed. Finally, the whole Poirot-style "this is how it went down" explanation at the end was very unprofessional, since it is addressed to his wife and two civilians (and he found out most of it from a confession).

Disappointed. ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 8, 2014 |
Found dead – covered by rocks near a dry stone wall in the village of Gratly! Harry Steadman’s murder was unbelievable to many as they seemed to feel he had no enemies. He was able to talk to anyone in any walk of life. He was a local historian and archeologist and was very dedicated to his life’s work. DCI Banks begins questioning anyone who was in or near the vicinity. He came up empty. He realizes that the same group of people who had hung out together some ten years ago were once again within the same location. He questions them repeatedly; he still comes up empty. Then, another horrific death occurs, that of young Sally Lumb who took it upon herself to do her own investigating. What had she found that would cause someone to snuff out her life?

The original publication date of A Dedicated Man was 1988, so don’t expect technology like on CSI. So, for that reason, it is just a tad slow. It shows steadfast and thorough police work on the part of DCI Banks. The mystery plays out engagingly well, causing the reader to constantly guess ‘is this one the killer?’ A Dedicated Man is only the second in the DCI Banks mystery series. Number 22 (Abattoir Blues) will be out October 2014. I rated this novel at 3.5 out of 5.

http://www.fictionzeal.com/dedicated-man-detective-chief-inspector-banks-mystery... ( )
  FictionZeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
A Dedicated Man is the second novel in the Inspector Banks series by author Peter Robinson. Inspector Banks is called in when the body of Harold Steadman, a local historian, is found in the fields outside the village where he lived. Banks must trawl through a web of people and lies to uncover the murderer. Is it something to do with his current work protecting the village or something in the past the binds the people of the village together?

This book is a significant improvement over the first novel.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Sep 30, 2013 |
They were right, my dear, all those voices were right
And still are; this land is not the sweet home that it looks,
Nor its peace the historical calm of a site
Where something was settled once and for all . . .

'In Praise of Limestone'
For Jan
When the sun rose high enough to clear the slate roofs on the other side of the street, it crept though a chink in Sally Lumb's curtains and lit on a strand of gold-blonde hair that curled over her cheek.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380716453, Mass Market Paperback)

A dedicated man is dead in the Yorkshire dales -- a former university professor, wealthy historian and archaeologist who loved his adopted village. It is a particularly heinous slaying, considering the esteem in which the victim, Harry Steadman, was held by his neighbors and colleagues -- by everyone, it seems, except the one person who bludgeoned the life out of the respected scholar and left him half-buried in a farmer's field.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks left the violence of London behind for what he hoped would be the peaceful life of a country policeman. But the brutality of Steadman's murder only reinforces one ugly, indisputable truth: that evil can flourish in even the most bucolic of settings. There are dangerous secrets hidden in the history of this remote Yorkshire community that have already led to one death. And Banks will have to plumb a dark and shocking local past to find his way to a killer before yesterday's sins cause more blood to be shed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

When a well-liked, respected former university professor is bludgeoned to death in his adopted village in the Yorkshire Dales, Chief Inspector Alan Banks must sift through dark secrets to solve this seemingly motiveless murder.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible