Hanging Valley by Peter Robinson

Hanging Valley (original 1989; edition 2002)

by Peter Robinson

Member:joannacawley
Title:Hanging Valley
Authors:Peter Robinson
Info:Harper (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:British procedural

The Hanging Valley by Peter Robinson (1989)

I'm in love with this series! Nothing like a little British murder mystery. ( )
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
This felt strangely old-fashioned, almost as if it had been written in the 60s, although it was published in 1989. The main female character is unbelievable in her adherence to her granny's religious maxims, can't believe any female would behave like that. And at one point a character is described as wearing Brylcreem, which hasn't been used by anyone under 60 for many years! Ending is quite melodramatic too. Not one of Robinson's better ones. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Jul 27, 2014 |
A good, honest crime story: nothing fancy, no cheating, just a straight forward crime yarn. That is all I ask from this type of work and, whenever I see the name Peter Robinson, I know that's what I am going to get. Once more, I was not disappointed. The book held me from page one to the final sentence and, I didn't guess the ending, although I had had suspicions planted by the author.

I am, slowly working my way through the DCI Banks novels and this one simply made me more keen to find the next! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Jun 25, 2014 |
A decomposing corpse is found in a hidden valley and the search for the killer brings Inspector Banks all over England and to Toronto in Canada. I did enjoy the characters and the descriptions of Yorkshire, as I do in most of the books in this series, but the part that takes place in Canada seems a bit tacked on - as if the writer had gone there on vacation and wanted a reason to put that in a book. The mystery is solid and Banks is such a good regular-guy detective that you can't help but to root for him. Overall, it's a good installment in a good series. ( )
  -Eva- | Nov 3, 2013 |
A walker finds a corpse in a valley in Yorkshire Dales, and Chief Inspector Banks is called to investigate. It's not the first time there's been an unexplained death in the same small village, and it begins to feel too much like a coincidence. In the course of the story, Banks visits Toronto in search of further clues. An easy and undemanding read, I finished this the same day I started. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 26, 2013 |
It was the most exhilarating feeling in the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038082048X, Mass Market Paperback)

No one dreamed something so hideous could grow in so beautiful a place . . .

Many who visit the valley are overwhelmed by its majesty. Some wish they never had to leave. One didn't, a hiker whose decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents who guard shattering secrets of sordid pasts and private shames. Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks knows that both the grim truth and a cold-blooded killer are hiding here, far from the city, the noise, and safety. And he's determined to walk into the valley of death to expose them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

A hiker's decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible