Hanging Valley by Peter Robinson

Hanging Valley (original 1989; edition 2002)

by Peter Robinson

6301915,406 (3.7)28
Member:joannacawley
Title:Hanging Valley
Authors:Peter Robinson
Info:Harper (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:British procedural

The Hanging Valley by Peter Robinson (1989)

The body of a hiker is found at the beginning of "The Hanging Valley," the fourth novel in the long-running Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson. The man turns out to be an ex-pat living in Toronto, Canada, and he has more connections with the locals in the Yorkshire Dales than Inspector Banks originally suspects; his investigation sends Banks to Toronto, to Oxford and beyond, but he is far behind the culprit and the bodies are piling up…. I’m enjoying discovering this series, about which I had heard but which I’ve only just started to read. This one is less about the relationships between Banks and his colleagues than the previous novels, but those relationships seem fairly well established at this point, so the author was able to concentrate more on the plot this time around. I believe there are something like 22 novels in this series to date, which means I’ve got a lot of books to look forward to; recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Hanging Valley Peter Robinson
★★★
This is the 4th book in the DI Banks series
A body has been discovered in the beautiful hanging valley in the village of Swainsdale the problem is its not the first several years ago another body had been found, a woman went missing and the mystery was never sold. The same suspects from the first investigation are also the same suspects in the new case.
Set in England in the 80's where mobile phones, tablets and even the internet are barely known Banks must rely on good old fashioned police work to solve the case, this largely involves lots of smoking and pub crawls.
If you like your crime stories with less blood and gore and more human focus this is a good series to get into ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I got started reading this DI Banks series because I had watched the Public Broadcasting series on TV. I enjoy the stories, although I think they are somewhat wordy with a lot of descriptions and details that really don't enhance the story. I think I prefer the television versions better. ( )
  readyreader | Jan 6, 2016 |
I'm in love with this series! Nothing like a little British murder mystery. ( )
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
This felt strangely old-fashioned, almost as if it had been written in the 60s, although it was published in 1989. The main female character is unbelievable in her adherence to her granny's religious maxims, can't believe any female would behave like that. And at one point a character is described as wearing Brylcreem, which hasn't been used by anyone under 60 for many years! Ending is quite melodramatic too. Not one of Robinson's better ones. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Jul 27, 2014 |
It was the most exhilarating feeling in the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038082048X, Mass Market Paperback)

No one dreamed something so hideous could grow in so beautiful a place . . .

Many who visit the valley are overwhelmed by its majesty. Some wish they never had to leave. One didn't, a hiker whose decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents who guard shattering secrets of sordid pasts and private shames. Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks knows that both the grim truth and a cold-blooded killer are hiding here, far from the city, the noise, and safety. And he's determined to walk into the valley of death to expose them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

A hiker's decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible