The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks Mystery)…

The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks Mystery) (original 1989; edition 1992)

by Peter Robinson

Member:Marshrat
Title:The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks Mystery)
Authors:Peter Robinson
Info:Scribner (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Library Book
Rating:***1/2

The Hanging Valley by Peter Robinson (1989)

This felt strangely old-fashioned, almost as if it had been written in the 60s, although it was published in 1989. The main female character is unbelievable in her adherence to her granny's religious maxims, can't believe any female would behave like that. And at one point a character is described as wearing Brylcreem, which hasn't been used by anyone under 60 for many years! Ending is quite melodramatic too. Not one of Robinson's better ones. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Jul 27, 2014 |
A good, honest crime story: nothing fancy, no cheating, just a straight forward crime yarn. That is all I ask from this type of work and, whenever I see the name Peter Robinson, I know that's what I am going to get. Once more, I was not disappointed. The book held me from page one to the final sentence and, I didn't guess the ending, although I had had suspicions planted by the author.

I am, slowly working my way through the DCI Banks novels and this one simply made me more keen to find the next! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Jun 25, 2014 |
A decomposing corpse is found in a hidden valley and the search for the killer brings Inspector Banks all over England and to Toronto in Canada. I did enjoy the characters and the descriptions of Yorkshire, as I do in most of the books in this series, but the part that takes place in Canada seems a bit tacked on - as if the writer had gone there on vacation and wanted a reason to put that in a book. The mystery is solid and Banks is such a good regular-guy detective that you can't help but to root for him. Overall, it's a good installment in a good series. ( )
  -Eva- | Nov 3, 2013 |
A walker finds a corpse in a valley in Yorkshire Dales, and Chief Inspector Banks is called to investigate. It's not the first time there's been an unexplained death in the same small village, and it begins to feel too much like a coincidence. In the course of the story, Banks visits Toronto in search of further clues. An easy and undemanding read, I finished this the same day I started. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 26, 2013 |
2.5 stars, perhaps. Good audiobook. An alternative title might be "Banks goes to Toronto." I always wonder when a local character takes off for other pastures as part of an investigation. Did the author just visit there and want to add some local color? Is Robinson a Jays fan?

Ostensibly, Banks has to travel to Toronto to find and interview a woman who may have information about an unsolved murder in Swainsdale that had occurred years before but may be linked to a more recent one.

The body of Bernard Allen, a man who had briefly relocated to Canada, is discovered buried in the woods in a remote area of Yorkshire. The investigation takes Banks to Toronto to search for a woman who might have known him. (And we get treated -- if that's the word -- to a Blue Jays game.)

Banks has to dig back into the past to determine the reason for the killing. I had difficulty getting a feel for the motivations of the characters and this is not one of Robinson's better efforts. His writing is good, but the characters in this volume lacked full development.

Some reviewers have complained about the ending, that somehow it was a shock. Perhaps, but only in its abruptness. This may be one of those cases where a good reader (James Langton) makes a bad book better. I had difficulty connecting with this story, but the excellent narration prevented switching to the off button. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
It was the most exhilarating feeling in the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038082048X, Mass Market Paperback)

No one dreamed something so hideous could grow in so beautiful a place . . .

Many who visit the valley are overwhelmed by its majesty. Some wish they never had to leave. One didn't, a hiker whose decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents who guard shattering secrets of sordid pasts and private shames. Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks knows that both the grim truth and a cold-blooded killer are hiding here, far from the city, the noise, and safety. And he's determined to walk into the valley of death to expose them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

A hiker's decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and its tight-lipped residents.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible