House Rules: A Memoir by Rachel Sontag

House Rules: A Memoir

by Rachel Sontag

This was a good memoir to read and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. ( )
  askum | Feb 19, 2014 |
This book had me in knots. It amazed me that her father, the medical doctor, could be so educated and yet so lacking in value of human life. He always needed to be the victor. Makes me thankful for my parents. ( )
  sclhs.org | Sep 28, 2012 |
Good read, amazing what can really be happening inside four walls. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Feb 7, 2012 |
Compelling story of psychological abuse but fails to capture the heart of the main character. ( )
  GaylDasherSmith | Oct 27, 2010 |
While I enjoyed reading this memoir, it was difficult to read about the mental/verbal abuse that Rachel's father bestowed upon her. I would visibly cringe at times at some of the things that her father said to her, all the while Rachel was constantly seeking love and acceptance from him.

Besides experiencing a strong dislike for the father, I felt ambivalence towards Rachel's mother and sister. I felt that Rachel's mother should have supported her more....although I think I understood why she couldn't (or wouldn't). Her life with her controlling husband was already a living hell and she did not want to make things worse. Rachel's sister was more or less the "invisible" child, where Rachel was on the receiving end of her father's constant attention, whether it be good or bad.

House Rules is a truly compelling memoir that was arduous to read but almost impossible for me to put down. Highly recommended! ( )
  missysbooknook | Aug 25, 2010 |

A memoir of a father obsessed with control and the daughter who fights his suffocating grasp, House Rules explores the complexities of their compelling and destructive relationship as Rachel fights to escape, and, later, to make sense of what remains of her family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:20 -0400)

"At an early age, Rachel Sontag realized there was something deeply wrong with her father. On the surface, he was a well-respected, suburban physician. But questioning his authority led to brutal fights; disobedience meant humiliating punishments. When she was twelve, he duct-taped her stereo dial to National Public Radio, measured the length of her hair and fingernails with a ruler, and regulated when she could shower." "A memoir of a father obsessed with control and the daughter who fights his suffocating grasp, House Rules explores the complexities of their compelling and destructive relationship, and his equally manipulative relationships with his wife and other daughter. As Rachel's mother cedes all her power to her husband, and her sister fades into the background their family life, Rachel fights to escape, and, later, to make sense of what remains of her family."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible