Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of…

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling

by Bret Hart

Anyone who was aware of the WWF in the eighties and nineties knows the name of Bret Hart. This is his autobiography, published in 2006. Coming from a dysfunctional family of twelve kids with parents who ran their own wrestling territory in western Canada, Hart grew up with the sport and became a professional as soon as he was big enough to get in the ring. This book follows his rise to fame over two decades, including his dealings with infamously underhanded WWF owner Vince McMahon. He is honest about what goes on in the ring, the set-ups, his feelings about other wrestling stars, and the permanent physical damage. He's surprisingly open about cheating on his wife, and his feelings about a number of his siblings, who he feels took advantage of his parents. And he talks about the in-ring death of his younger brother Owen during a wrestling event.
I think it's clear that though Hart kept recorded diaries of his years on the road with a mind to someday writing a book, this must have been ghost-written. It's riveting reading, but every other person Hart meets is moved to tears by being near him, and it's hard to accept someone referring to themselves as a hero quite so often. Other than that, this book was way more fascinating than I expected, especially the whole villainous sibling situation. 4.2 stars ( )
  mstrust | Feb 24, 2018 |
It was a slow start but the book picked up at the middle and by the end I can say it was a very rewarding read. Bret, thank you for the melancholy. ( )
  MartinEdasi | Aug 28, 2016 |
This book took me FOREVER to read. Partially, b/c it's crazy lengthy and partially b/c it was super-duper boring early on. I think Bret Hart is one of the best wrestlers of all-time and I was excited to read about his career, I was decided-less excited to read about his dysfunctional family and the extremely in-depth rundown of his youth before he hit it big in the wrestling book. The parts I was interested in (ie: his major league wrestling career) felt very glossed over and is still filled with lots of bitterness as it was written very soon after his retirement due to injury and the subsequent stroke he suffered that effectively ended any chance he had of making a legitimate comeback. Ultimately, I wanted this book to be a lot better than it was. ( )
  tkatt00 | Sep 11, 2015 |
By far one of the best wrestling books out there. ( )
  djracki | Apr 1, 2015 |
This is a book about wrestling. I mean, it's also an autobiography, but mostly it's a book about wrestling, which means I'm never really sure how much of it to believe. Because of that I read it with a great big block of salt, and I wasn't overly impressed with the writing style but I did read it cover to cover and when I wasn't reading it I was talking about it or thinking about it, so I'd say it was a good book.

It didn't make me like Hitman very much, but I think it was a good book. If you grew up with the people and events covered in this book like I did (more the earlier stuff for me than the latter) you will either love this book or hate it, but I'm pretty sure it'll effect you.

Don't say I didn't warn you ;) ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
One thing you will discover is that life is based on less than you think on what you've learned and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the beginning.—Mark Helprin, Memoir from Antproof Case
This book is dedicated to the memory of my loving mom, Helen "Tiger Belle" Hart
My earliest memory of wrestling goes back to 1960, when I was three years old.

Written without collaborators and based on decades of tape recordings he made throughout his career, HITMAN is Bret Hart's brutally honest, perceptive and startling account of his life in and out of the ring that proves once and for all that great things come in pink tights.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

Written without collaborators and based on decades of tape recordings he made throughout his career, Hitman is Bret Hart's brutally honest, perceptive and startling account of his life in and out of the ring that proves once and for all that great things come in pink tights.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,418,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible