Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright by Jan Adkins

Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright

by Jan Adkins

Series: Up Close

An easy to read book that covers what others may have written about Wright,but in a very readable fashion. I was able to read this in one sitting and learned a lot that I hadn't understood in two other books on Wright. This book covered an overall view, whereas others dealt with one element, such as the infidelity. If you want to have an overview of Frank Lloyd Wright, his work, and his personality, this would be the book to start with, and possibly you would have to go no further in other readings. This book also might open up a sense of exploration, giving you a desire to look up some of the homes mentioned that are still standing as you travel in the area of the homes. I just found out that one of his homes is in my hometown, and I am excited to be able to go there and see one of his inspirations up close. Hopefully, I will see others, as I hope you can do. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jul 23, 2010 |

Frank Lloyd Wright was the most influential architect of the twentieth century?and a rogue genius whose life was a wild ride. Wright routinely ignored unpaid bills, clients? wishes, budget constraints. Only his creative vision mattered to him. That vision transformed the way we live, sweeping aside the Victorian home and creating a uniquely American architecture exemplified by his Prairie Style houses. Wright built hotels, churches, and offices, too, incorporating endless innovations in techniques and materials. Ideas poured out of him throughout his long career; he called it ?shaking the design out of my sleeve.?

Jan Adkins?s fascinating biography of this compelling, infuriating, largerthan- life figure will change the way every reader looks at architecture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

The story of the man who changed architecture from "dark, Victorian clutter" to space open to air and movement.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible