Bury my heart at Wounded Knee : an Indian…

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee : an Indian history of the American West (1970)

by Dee Brown

4,595None1,040 (4.25)181
    I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War by Merrill D. Beal (myshelves)
    Our Hearts Fell to the Ground: Plains Indian Views of How the West Was Lost by Colin G. Calloway (eromsted)
    eromsted: Historical documents with academic introduction
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A different perspective on the tragedy of the American West.
    Massacres in the jungle : Ixcán, Guatemala, 1975-1982 by Ricardo Falla (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: This book documents the systematic massacre of indigenous people in Guatemala in the more recent past.
    Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Vine Deloria, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are excellent overviews of US policy towards Native Americans.
    Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell (John_Vaughan)
    A Century of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson (John_Vaughan)
    A long and terrible shadow : white values, native rights in the Americas, 1492-1992 by Thomas R. Berger (caballer)
    Custer by Larry McMurtry (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Black Elk was at Wounded Knee and reenacted Little Big Horn in Buffalo Bill's show.

English (47)  Dutch (2)  All languages (49)
Quite possibly the most painful (and shaming) book I've ever read. This book is deserving of a better review, but I will leave that to the other readers who could form coherent thoughts about it upon completion -- my own are filled merely with sorrow. ( )
  ryner | Jan 10, 2014 |
emotionally gripping story of the gross mistreatment of Indians in the Western US.
  antiqueart | Nov 24, 2013 |
It's been fifteen years since I first read this. I think it's time to make myself cry with it again. ( )
  EinfachMich | Sep 21, 2013 |
Knew going into reading this book that it would be sad. But it was even more so. It was a frustrating tale of America. Just wish there was a way to hit a redo button. Would of loved to see what the Indians that died could've made for themselves if given the chance to breathe. ( )
  Samqua | Sep 8, 2013 |
DEVASTATING. Very difficult reading. Dense. I am very glad it was written and that I have read it. The language used is perfect. I don't know how to properly convey to what extent this book upset me. Everyone should read it. Maybe you think you know what has happened to Native Americans, but you do not know the half of it. In 30 years, 1860-1890, the people were destroyed, and along with them fauna, flora and a whole different way of looking at life. Progress? Yeah, sure...... Depressing, so depressing.

Excellent narration by Grover Gardner. ( )
1 vote chrissie3 | Aug 22, 2013 |

Dee Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
There is also an adaptation of this book "for young people" by Amy Erhlich with the same title and Dee's name listed as author. ISBNs for the adaptation have been identified as 0006713416, 0030915597, 0440957680, 0606029982, 0701122366, 0785712712, 0805027009, 9780006713418, 9780030915598, 9780440957683, 9780606029988, 9780701122362, 9780785712718, 9780805027006. Please do not combine the adaptation with the original full-length book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805066691, Paperback)

First published in 1970, this extraordinary book changed the way Americans think about the original inhabitants of their country. Beginning with the Long Walk of the Navajos in 1860 and ending 30 years later with the massacre of Sioux men, women, and children at Wounded Knee in South Dakota, it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to a dynamically expanding white society. During these three decades, America's population doubled from 31 million to 62 million. Again and again, promises made to the Indians fell victim to the ruthlessness and greed of settlers pushing westward to make new lives. The Indians were herded off their ancestral lands into ever-shrinking reservations, and were starved and killed if they resisted. It is a truism that "history is written by the victors"; for the first time, this book described the opening of the West from the Indians' viewpoint. Accustomed to stereotypes of Indians as red savages, white Americans were shocked to read the reasoned eloquence of Indian leaders and learn of the bravery with which they and their peoples endured suffering. With meticulous research and in measured language overlaying brutal narrative, Dee Brown focused attention on a national disgrace. Still controversial but with many of its premises now accepted, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has sold 5 million copies around the world. Thirty years after it first broke onto the national conscience, it has lost none of its importance or emotional impact. --John Stevenson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:51 -0400)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. A national bestseller in hardcover for more than a year after its initial publication, it has sold almost four million copies and has been translated into seventeen languages. For this elegant thirtieth anniversary hardcover edition, Brown has contributed an incisive new preface. Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee changed forever our vision of how the West was really won.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible