Bury my heart at Wounded Knee : an Indian…

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee : an Indian history of the American West (1970)

by Dee Brown

I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War by Merrill D. Beal (myshelves)
    Our Hearts Fell to the Ground: Plains Indian Views of How the West Was Lost by Colin G. Calloway (eromsted)
    eromsted: Historical documents with academic introduction
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A different perspective on the tragedy of the American West.
    Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Vine Deloria, Jr. (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are excellent overviews of US policy towards Native Americans.
    Massacres in the jungle : Ixcán, Guatemala, 1975-1982 by Ricardo Falla (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: This book documents the systematic massacre of indigenous people in Guatemala in the more recent past.
    Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell (John_Vaughan)
    A Century of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson (John_Vaughan)
    A long and terrible shadow : white values, native rights in the Americas, 1492-1992 by Thomas R. Berger (caballer)
    Custer by Larry McMurtry (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Black Elk was at Wounded Knee and reenacted Little Big Horn in Buffalo Bill's show.

English (52)  Dutch (2)  All languages (54)
Excellent book on the systematic annihilation of the Native Americans. OK, it is more than just that though there were times I had to put the book down. Dee Brown journeys from the first displacement of the Navahos and the Apaches as California was settled, to the final slaughter of Sioux prisoners at Wounded Knee, the catalogue of broken promises, treaties and battles is a tragic but essential story. I've known some of the historical relationship of the US to Native Americans, but I felt like a clueless, WWII German might feel when they realize the Jews were actually killed in the camps. I love my country but we've got a whole lot of repentance to do as time after time military and government force was used to wholesale slaughter men, women, and children (even babies). Brilliant research and smooth writing make this required historical reading. ( )
  revslick | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is a colourful and episodic account of the major USA and Indian fights of the 1866 to 1895 period. The story is sad, and it seems that some of these shoot-outs were easily avoidable, except for the white tendency to resort to their obvious military advantage. War can't be made pretty, and the professionals work hard at it being as unfair as possible, so there's not much uplifting homily here. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 19, 2014 |
Note: Larry McMurtry seriously dislikes this book. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
Trail of Tears. Manifest Destiny. Phrases and words we have heard before, definitely learned about in high school but, I'm guessing, the origins of which we haven't given much thought. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has a subtitle of "an Indian History of the American West" and what a sad history it is! Before each chapter in the book is a snapshot of what shape the country was in that historical moment. A great deal was going on as it was during the American western expansion and the discovery of gold, starting in 1860 when the Navaho leader, Manuelito, was beaten down until surrendering to the white man. It's a shameful book to read. So many broken promises. So many different times a white man approached a tribal leader with negotiations and treaties that only ended in bald faced lies. ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 28, 2014 |
One of the greatest books written on Native Americans and personally an all time favorite. It is a heart wrenching work that tells, from the Native's point of view, the countless atrocities that were committed against them by the U.S. government. It is painful at times to read of such horrors and crimes but it is a book that all Americans need to read to truly understand our governments history concerning the native people. An absolute classic in American literature and should become required reading in all high schools. If you are to only read one book on Native Americans, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is the correct choice. ( )
  Zissou54 | Apr 23, 2014 |

Dee Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
There is also an adaptation of this book "for young people" by Amy Erhlich with the same title and Dee's name listed as author. ISBNs for the adaptation have been identified as 0006713416, 0030915597, 0440957680, 0606029982, 0701122366, 0785712712, 0805027009, 9780006713418, 9780030915598, 9780440957683, 9780606029988, 9780701122362, 9780785712718, 9780805027006. Please do not combine the adaptation with the original full-length book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805066691, Paperback)

First published in 1970, this extraordinary book changed the way Americans think about the original inhabitants of their country. Beginning with the Long Walk of the Navajos in 1860 and ending 30 years later with the massacre of Sioux men, women, and children at Wounded Knee in South Dakota, it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to a dynamically expanding white society. During these three decades, America's population doubled from 31 million to 62 million. Again and again, promises made to the Indians fell victim to the ruthlessness and greed of settlers pushing westward to make new lives. The Indians were herded off their ancestral lands into ever-shrinking reservations, and were starved and killed if they resisted. It is a truism that "history is written by the victors"; for the first time, this book described the opening of the West from the Indians' viewpoint. Accustomed to stereotypes of Indians as red savages, white Americans were shocked to read the reasoned eloquence of Indian leaders and learn of the bravery with which they and their peoples endured suffering. With meticulous research and in measured language overlaying brutal narrative, Dee Brown focused attention on a national disgrace. Still controversial but with many of its premises now accepted, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has sold 5 million copies around the world. Thirty years after it first broke onto the national conscience, it has lost none of its importance or emotional impact. --John Stevenson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:51 -0400)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. A national bestseller in hardcover for more than a year after its initial publication, it has sold almost four million copies and has been translated into seventeen languages. For this elegant thirtieth anniversary hardcover edition, Brown has contributed an incisive new preface. Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee changed forever our vision of how the West was really won.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,209,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible