Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian…

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West (original 1970; edition 1971)

by Dee Brown

Member:occupymuskegon
Title:Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
Authors:Dee Brown
Info:Holt, Rinehart and Winston (1971), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 487 pages
Tags:NON-CIRCULATING, from Hackley Public Library

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown (1970)

English (80)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
Unflinching account of the consistent double dealing, betrayal and brutality in the treatment of American Indians by the U.S. government and by white Americans in the second half of the 19th century. Deeply deeply sad but important book. ( )
  Matt_B | Dec 26, 2018 |
Just when you think you've read the worst mankind can do, the next chapter starts. A strikingly brutal and depressing account of the life of native Americans. Not for the faint of heart. ( )
  VinceLaFratta | Sep 25, 2018 |
  VinceLa | Sep 23, 2018 |
This is one of those book that is iconic to the American Indian Movement and a necessary read for anyone who wants to understand Native history and the roots of today's Indian political situations.

Although I was familiar the histories of the western tribes where I live, there were many tribes whose stories I didn't know. Lies, broken treaties, bad faith action for political reasons, starvation – all to get them onto reservations, where to paraphrase [[Sherman Alexie]] is where Indians go to die.

Same song
Different verse
Little bit loader
Little bit worse ( )
  streamsong | Aug 11, 2018 |
I could write a much more extensive review of this book, for instance, pointing out how the author seems to take on the voice of the native American characters in his narrative style. But, quite simply, the basic phrase from our shampoo bottles kept creeping into my head as I read chapter after chapter. "Wash, rinse, repeat." Degrade and destroy, move what's left out of the way, and then repeat the process over and over again. I guess I should also emphasize how I was struck with the basic difference between how white folks treated black and red peoples. Whites went elsewhere to subjugate others to bring them to America do there bidding, while also subjugating people already in America to remove them altogether. This strikes me as terribly inefficient. Why not save the energy of bringing new peoples into the country to subjugate them when there are some folks you wish to degrade already there. If you're going to be dirty rotten bastards masquerading as human beings, at least be efficient bastards. ( )
  larryerick | Jun 14, 2018 |

Dee Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
Americans who have always looked westward when reading about this period should read this book facing eastward.
Now they were all good Indians.
There is also an adaptation of this book "for young people" by Amy Erhlich with the same title and Dee's name listed as author. ISBNs for the adaptation have been identified as 0006713416, 0030915597, 0440957680, 0606029982, 0701122366, 0785712712, 0805027009, 9780006713418, 9780030915598, 9780440957683, 9780606029988, 9780701122362, 9780785712718, 9780805027006. Please do not combine the adaptation with the original full-length book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805066691, Paperback)

First published in 1970, this extraordinary book changed the way Americans think about the original inhabitants of their country. Beginning with the Long Walk of the Navajos in 1860 and ending 30 years later with the massacre of Sioux men, women, and children at Wounded Knee in South Dakota, it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to a dynamically expanding white society. During these three decades, America's population doubled from 31 million to 62 million. Again and again, promises made to the Indians fell victim to the ruthlessness and greed of settlers pushing westward to make new lives. The Indians were herded off their ancestral lands into ever-shrinking reservations, and were starved and killed if they resisted. It is a truism that "history is written by the victors"; for the first time, this book described the opening of the West from the Indians' viewpoint. Accustomed to stereotypes of Indians as red savages, white Americans were shocked to read the reasoned eloquence of Indian leaders and learn of the bravery with which they and their peoples endured suffering. With meticulous research and in measured language overlaying brutal narrative, Dee Brown focused attention on a national disgrace. Still controversial but with many of its premises now accepted, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has sold 5 million copies around the world. Thirty years after it first broke onto the national conscience, it has lost none of its importance or emotional impact. --John Stevenson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. A national bestseller in hardcover for more than a year after its initial publication, it has sold almost four million copies and has been translated into seventeen languages. For this elegant thirtieth anniversary hardcover edition, Brown has contributed an incisive new preface. Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee changed forever our vision of how the West was really won.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,614,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible