Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian…

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West (original 1970; edition 1971)

by Dee Brown

Dee Brown's eloquent, meticulously documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century uses council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions. Brown allows great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated ...… (more)
Member:occupymuskegon
Title:Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
Authors:Dee Brown
Info:Holt, Rinehart and Winston (1971), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 487 pages
Tags:NON-CIRCULATING, from Hackley Public Library

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown (Author) (1970)

I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War by Merrill D. Beal (myshelves)
    Our Hearts Fell to the Ground: Plains Indian Views of How the West Was Lost by Colin G. Calloway (eromsted)
    eromsted: Historical documents with academic introduction
    The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens (Cecrow)
    Massacres in the jungle : Ixcán, Guatemala, 1975-1982 by Ricardo Falla-Sánchez (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: This book documents the systematic massacre of indigenous people in Guatemala in the more recent past.
    Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Jr. Vine Deloria (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are excellent overviews of US policy towards Native Americans.
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A different perspective on the tragedy of the American West.
    The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America by Thomas King (Cecrow)
    Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell (John_Vaughan)
    A Century of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson (John_Vaughan)
    Touch the Earth: A Self Portrait of Indian Existence by T. C. McLuhan (dypaloh)
    dypaloh: An oral history expressing what was lost to North America’s first peoples after dispossession from their lands and cultures. The voices are sometimes despondent but most always eloquent.
    A long and terrible shadow : white values, native rights in the Americas, 1492-1992 by Thomas R. Berger (caballer)
    Black Hills/White Justice: The Sioux Nation Versus the United States : 1775 to the Present by Edward Lazarus (dkohler52)
    Custer by Larry McMurtry (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Black Elk was at Wounded Knee and reenacted Little Big Horn in Buffalo Bill's show.

English (86)  Dutch (1)  All languages (87)
I grew up in the 1950s, when cowboys and Indians, or cavalry and Indians, or settlers and Indians were all staple media fare. Now and then there was a nod in the direction that perhaps the Indians weren’t all that bad; the Lone Ranger had Tonto, after all.

Dee Brown’s Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee clears away any lingering hangovers from that era. One tribe after anther (and Brown only considers the Native Americans west of the Mississippi) gets lied to, cheated, and massacred: the Navajo, the Sioux, the Cheyenne, the Nez Perce, the Poncas, the Utes, and the Apache all find out what Manifest Destiny meant in practice.

In narrating one tragedy after another, Brown adopts a native voice. Whites are described by their native titles and names. Thus, a colonel is an “Eagle Chief” and a general is a “Star Chief”; Nelson Miles is “Bear Coat”, William Sherman is “Great Warrior”, and Oliver Howard is “Old Man of the Thunder”; the President is The Great Father, and Congress is The Great Council. Similarly, time gets native terms – “Corn Planting Time”, “Moon When Leaves Fall Off”, “Geese Going Moon”. This might seem an affectation, but it worked for me – made me think in a different way.

And Brown acknowledges that now and then a white was honest – Star Chief Gray Wolf Crook gets some praise in his dealings with the Chiricahua. And now and then a native is acknowledged as a savage – Victorio is described as a “ruthless killer” who tortured and killed. And it’s also acknowledged that Native Americans and whites often tended to behave the same way; if a Cheyenne (for example) wanted revenge, it was often taken on the first white encountered – and similarly innocent Cheyenne were massacred for actions they didn’t commit.

Rather depressing reading; I knew some of these stories from general study of American history but having them all collected and hammered home one after another is almost overwhelming. Recommended. ( )
2 vote setnahkt | Nov 21, 2019 |
The first great non-fiction book I ever read and still one of the best. Absolutely heart breaking retelling of the fate of the American Indian. Manages to convey the scope of a collection of peoples dying and relate their stories on an intimate level. Great drama, great history told with poetry and insight. Impeccable research with harrowing details provided by many first hand recollections. A great first read of American History which will affect how you see this country forever after. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |
I feel like I /have/ to give this book five stars. It's very well written and tells a lot of history I sure didn't know about. It's just difficult to read for how badly the U.S. handled just about everything to do with the American Indians.

I mean, we all knew the government was pretty terrible, but even if this were /every/ terrible thing the government did, it was still far, far worse than I knew ... and this is only a recounting of major events throughout a few decades.

I think this goes in the "must read" category for any U.S. citizen. ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
I got this book from overdrive because the title appealed to me, especially a story told from the Indian perspective. This book details the story of the Indians of America and the story of what happened to them, told from the Indians perspective. This was a very interesting book and really enjoyed hearing the story from the American Indian's viewpoint. There were a few editing mistakes but the subject matter was so interesting to me that it didn't really distract me too much. I really enjoyed this book and loved learning more about the Indians of the West and their history. Highly recommend this book. ( )
1 vote CrystalToller | May 25, 2019 |
Great quotations from Native American leaders ( )
  Brightman | May 17, 2019 |

Brown, DeeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
Americans who have always looked westward when reading about this period should read this book facing eastward.
Now they were all good Indians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,117,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible