Body & Soul by Jordan Castillo Price
707171,029 (4)2
2010 (2) 2011 (3) 2013 (2) cops (5) crime (3) detective (2) ebook (14) gay (5) ghosts (7) glbt (5) GR Import (2) Kindle (4) m-m (16) m-m-romance (2) mystery (15) novella (2) own (3) owned (2) paranormal (17) paranormal romance (3) psychic (3) psycop (2) read (4) read in 2011 (2) reread (2) romance (9) romantic suspense (2) supernatural (2) to-read (6) urban fantasy (5)

This series is really drawing me in. I haven't read anything quite like it. It has hot gay sex, law enforcement men trying to solve mysteries, paranormal happenings, special abilities, and I just really like the tone also. There are major things going on— ghosts, deaths, etc., and he's just always so chill about it all. I'll definitely be continuing the series. :) ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Again the page length was trimmed and this one comes across too short, but it was a good story regardless and the police investigation a little more complex than previous books. I loved the beginning at the Thanksgiving table and the ghost arm, then the angst of apartment hunting.

It's probably the best mystery so far in the series - Vic has to use his detecting skills and follow confusing leads, sometimes getting help from ghosts for once. He has to interview people, visit crime scenes, the full-fledged detective duty but with paranormal sting. The turnout with that was sweet in the end and I liked how the ghosts ended up helpful for once. I don't fully get what the villains were trying to accomplish, but I liked the detective work and the new partner. I get a kick out of how he unnerves other detectives and some of the animosity there because of him being a talented member of the 'Spook Squad'.

Victor remains an awesome main character - the way he tried to appear somewhat manly around his new partner was funny (the driving, talking to the people are the door hoping he's not challenged in front of the partner), how he slips on almost everything when outside, his awkwardness, his internal sense of humor....really, he's awesome. It's funny seeing Vic partnered with new people, while I sit here hoping it will work out.

Crash makes a brief appearance, but I don't find him that interesting. Lisa is still there via phone and there's a unique hitch in their relationship. Still loving Maurice, but he was only mentioned in this one only by name.

There's sex scenes of course, too many, but still a strong enough story that made this one fly by. I blinked, it was over, and I wanted the next one. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
These books just get better and better. I am really enjoying the way Vic and Jacob's relationship is developing, and the whole house searching ordeal and how that evolved was awesome. And what about Lisa? Must keep reading! ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
It's the first time I haven't been completely satisfied with a Psycop book. Thanksgiving with Jacob's family was a great start, the ghosts of amputated limbs were weirdly fascinating (phantom limb syndrome takes on a very literal meaning) and the "zombies" were interesting too but the action and tension wasn't quite up to par.

Vic and Jacob's relationship progress had me melting until Jacob assumed something which led him to make a very desperate and heartbreaking offer. And stupid Vic did nothing! Did he tell the truth to put Jacob's fears to rest? Nope, he kept quiet and refused to accept the implications. I'm not liking Vic so much right now. Idiot.

I really hope we see Lisa again in the future despite her "breaking up" with Vic because she felt he was just using her for her si-no ability. Her being held in that facility meant that there was very limited communication between them which basically meant she was only available for emergencies. Not conducive to a healthy friendship. Disconnecting her phone was a little OTT though. Perhaps Vic's paranoia is rubbing off on me but could something suspicious be going on there, Camp Hell-style?

Side Note: Despite [b:Many Happy Returns|5260436|Many Happy Returns (PsyCop, #2.2)|Jordan Castillo Price|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Lor95D26L._SL75_.jpg|5327743] and [b:Mind Reader|6971096|Mind Reader (PsyCop, #2.3)|Jordan Castillo Price|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255348677s/6971096.jpg|7210652] being listed on here as coming before [b:Body & Soul|8666206|Body & Soul (PsyCop)|Jordan Castillo Price|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5188CCg+idL._SL75_.jpg|2397353] I'm certain they take place after the events in this book, however I doubt I would've been able to pick out the references to these short stories if I'd read them after instead of before. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is a short review, for a solid and decent book in the very fun PsyCop series. If you haven't read any book in this series yet, please check out my reviews of the first two books in this series Among the Living and Criss Cross. I am a fan of Jordan Castillo Price's and of this series, but this book was just good -- not great; however, it is good and it is worth the read. It felt like a bridge book, but having read further on in the series I can say that key things do happen in this book that are important.

JCP is great about pushing the line in her urban fantasy world. Ever wonder if lost limbs leave ghostly trails? If a person has lost a hand, or a leg -- will its former limb appear as a ghost? JCP answers that question in this book in a gruesome yet funny scene in which Vic is meeting Jacob's family for the first time. In addition to the stress of attempting to impress his boyfriend's family, Vic is not using his prescription meds to dull his psychic senses (which the poor guy desparately relies on) and thus has to ignore the ghostly limb, while attempting to be coherent and friendly to his boyfriend's family -- all while sober.

"I avoided looking at the spot where Leon's arm was flopping around on the table."

And as Vic laments to Jacob (after Vic flees the scene),

"I am trying hard to be a decent boyfriend but I think I might not be cut out for it."

Body and Soul brings Vic and Jacob closer together. With the typical introspective but witty inner dialogue that Vic employs, the reader is treated to Vic and Jacob's developing relationship.

There is a decent mystery storyline and a cop investigation that is horror filled and gruesome. This book is a fun and quick read. Like the previous two books in the series, there is something about it that encourages compulsive behavior and I was not able to put it down -- I had to immediately go on to the next in the series. But despite the addicting effect, Body and Soul is not the best book in the series, it is not great but it is good. You will not be sorry you read it and you will learn some important things about Vic and Jacob together as a couple. Body and Soul leads straight in to the fourth book in the series -- Secrets, which in my opinion is the best book thus far in PsyCop. ( )
  ReginaR | Jan 29, 2012 |

Thanksgiving can't end too soon for Victor Bayne, who's finding Jacob's family hard to swallow. Luckily, he's called back to work to track down a high-profile missing person.

Meanwhile, Jacob tries to find a home they can move into that's not infested--with either cockroaches, or ghosts. As if the house-hunting isn't stressful enough, Vic's new partner Bob Zigler doesn't seem to think he can do anything right. A deceased junkie with a bone to pick leads Vic and Zig on a wild chase that ends in a basement full of horrors.

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible