The Myth of You & Me by Leah Stewart

The Myth of You & Me (2005)

by Leah Stewart

Recently added bybookmagic, dcmr, sortafairytales, janb37, dmbkel41, tch323, alistra, private library, BHHSLIBRARY

English (37)  German (1)  All (38)
Oh Camazon, I actually really didn't like you as a person. You are everything I am not in a lot of ways, and I had a hard time relating. In a some ways it's why I liked the book too, to change how I think about life and love and see a really complex friendship from another angle. Good story, even if I felt it dragged a tag from the get go. ( )
  dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
Cameron is a woman used to being on her own. Or is she? Sonia was her tried and true best friend. So why was it so easy to leave Sonia at a gas station on the interstate?

Interesting book, interesting characters, and a premise that happens to us all: the loss of a friendship. I liked the book, found it very easy to read, but it didn't engage me enough to give it 4 stars. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
When you are a teenager you think every event is dramatic, every disappointment is earth shattering, every love is your forever love but life soon teaches you that’s not the case. The one belief you want to hold on to more than any other is that your best friend will be your best friend for life. For those of us who are fortunate that does turn out to be the case, but not so for Cameron and Sonia. Sure they would be friends forever it turns out that love and infidelity tear them apart. When Cameron’s beloved, but eccentric, employer dies he leaves her a package with the directions that it is to be hand delivered to Sonia. He is hoping that finding each other again will reignite their friendship.

This book is full of the secrets, insecurities and foibles of having a best friend and the honesty of how it feels when that friendship is lost and life carries on. It was an interesting story, well written and enjoyably readable.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Not a bad read, although somewhat contrived in many ways. I really prefer a more realistic story, but this book does have some good elements. I liked the relationship development aspects, looking at what makes people as they are and what draws people together. The aspect which did not appeal was the mysterious trail of clues left by Sonia so her old friend Cameron could find her. I did like the first part in which the old man and young woman lived together. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 2, 2015 |
Reading this was...odd. It's about two women who were extremely close friends for a number of years, and then fall out because of a betrayal. Then one contacts the other after a long silence, because she is getting married.

Let's just say it hit a little close to home.

Stewart is a good writer. There were a few passages I found lovely and delightful. Her characters are real and vivid. I thought I was going to get through it without any swearing, but no luck--it starts up at about 3/4 of the way in. It's not gratuitous, at least, but...my feelings about that stuff being what they are, it bummed me out. Without that element, it would have been more enjoyable. But it certainly felt real.

I'll be thinking about this, and forgiveness, and my resemblance to this protagonist, for a while.

3.5 stars.

More on this and other reviews on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
And I'm left to wonder, What is this place? This room, this house, this life accountable to no one but myself. -- A. Manette Ansay, Sister
For Matt, Elisa, and Carolyn
"What if you had never met me?" Sonia says.
Someone who found my album from the last trip I took with Sonia might look at that final photograph, of Sonia laughing in a beauty mask, and from that image extrapolate a happier tale. But when I looked at it I saw not the laughter but the mask. Once you know the end of the story, every part of the story contains that end, and is only a way of reaching it. ~ pg 215

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073932327X, Audio CD)

When Cameron was fifteen, Sonia was her best friend—no one could come between them. Now Cameron is a twenty-nine-year-old research assistant with no meaningful ties to anyone except her aging boss, noted historian Oliver Doucet.

When an unexpected letter arrives from Sonia ten years after the incident that ended their friendship, Cameron doesn’t reply, despite Oliver’s urging. But then he passes away, and Cameron discovers that he has left her with one final task: to track down Sonia and hand-deliver a mysterious package to her. Now without a job, a home, and a purpose, Cameron decides to honor his request, setting off on the road to find this stranger who was once her inseparable other half.

The Myth of You and Me, the story of Cameron and Sonia’s friendship—as intense as any love affair—and its dramatic demise, captures the universal sense of loss and nostalgia that often lingers after the end of an important relationship. Searingly honest, beautiful, and full of fragile urgency, The Myth of You and Me is a celebration and portrait of a friendship that will appeal to anyone who still feels the absence of that first true friend.

Also available as a Random House AudioBook and an eBook

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

Ten years after ending her friendship with Sonia, Cameron sets out to find her former friend and fulfill the final wish of her lover, delivering a mysterious package to Sonia that may help the women rebuild their friendship.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible