Bicycling and the Law: Your Rights as a…

Bicycling and the Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist

by Bob Mionske

2000s (1) 2008 (1) 25b-2 (1) @TO GET (1) activism (1) bicycles (3) bikes (1) biking (1) cycling (9) KF (1) law (5) legal (1) location - Albany (1) newbook (1) non-fiction (2) own (1) politics (1) read (1) shelf-nonfiction (1) sport (1) to-read (5) transportation (2) unread (1) velo (1)

An excellent look at the legal issues surrounding bicycling. The book is written such that you can easily read it front-to-back, or read individual sections as needed for reference. However, if you are reading it front-to-back, the author does repeat himself often for the benefit of people who read only a section here and there. That doesn't really take away the excellence of this book but can be a bit frustrating at times.

First the author covers some of the US statues that govern bicycling, laying out rights and duties of cyclists. I found this to be pretty informative and I'm sure most bikers will find something new in this chapter.

He then covers accidents, with some very important advice that all bikers should take into consideration. Reading this chapter made me realize how lucky I was to be hit by somebody with a conscience and insurance. The author makes the argument that it's best to be insured, and always try to be compensated for your injuries. (A wise point as medical bills can be exorbitant.)

This is followed up by a chapter on insurance that I found to be a bit confusing and somewhat lacking. It was definitely helpful, but left out details on no-fault insurance that I would have found useful, such as if somebody else hits you and you are injured and use your own no-fault insurance, do your premiums go up?

The cycling harassment chapter was certainly something I can relate to as a daily commuter in a big city. The author lays out some helpful advice on how to deal with harassment, and makes the point that harassment won't go away until cyclists are afforded equal access to road infrastructure and anti-cycling bias ends. (Lofty goals, indeed.)

Finally were chapters on bike theft, defective product law and liability waivers. I found the bike theft chapter had some good information, bust was mostly a no-brainer. (Use a good U-lock.) The last two chapters I mostly skimmed.

Overall I would recommend this book to anybody who bikes. It's best to be informed about your rights as a biker, and if you are ever in an accident or get a traffic citation, it is best to be empowered with the knowledge of what you can do about it. And even though the author is a lawyer, don't let that turn you off, as his advice isn't always to hire an attorney, for example he gives plenty of advice on how to defend yourself against traffic citations. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |

Bob Mionskeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Armstrong, LanceForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,953,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible