Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy (original 2003; edition 2005)

by David Levithan

Member:kedwards1991
Title:Boy Meets Boy
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Graphic Novel
Tags:LGBT, chapter book, high school, romance, relationships, coming of age, realistic fiction, teenagers

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (2003)

English (117)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All (120)
I bought this as a birthday gift for my sister Cecilie several years ago. There was a death of queer stories or outlets in our hometown, and for that reason it was such a pleasure to see this fantasy world where there is no struggle in one's sexual or gender identity. It was refreshing to read a gay romance without a tragic ending or copious amounts of suffering. I think that's important, but it's also important to talk about the fact that it's not a viable political option, however sincere a wish it may be. Still, stories have power and stories allow us to escape, which was what this offered quite sweetly, and it was the panacea to the binary of either heterosexual or tragic-homosexual stories that overwhelmed me in the past. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
3.5 stars

This is more of a read for teens than adults I think. It’s about the drama of the high school years. It’s very open with sexual orientation so no matter where someone falls in the hetero or QUILTBAG spectrum (so basically everyone alive), there is something to relate to.

*SPOILER* For me, the best part was when they all show up together to pick the one boy up for a date. That was a magic moment, and the rest of the story after that as well. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars. This was a fun read. I heard of some people not liking it so much because it was almost too perfect, but that didn't really bother me. It was definitely "fluffy" but fun ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
Leviathan’s idyllic paradise he’s created for the LGBTQIA+ community is saccharine sweet to the point of nausea. Generally, in literature, characters are portrayed as mere mortals with a the regular gamut of virtues, vices, flaws, and flatteries. In this book the characters are almost portrayed as near-perfect aside from the fatal flaw – the Achilles heel – that drives their individual plot. It’s just really weak character development. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 5, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editMichael joseph, Michael (Jul 13, 2013)

For Tony (even if he only exists in a song)
9 P.M. on a November Saturday.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375832998, Paperback)

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Love is never easy. Especially if you're Paul. He's a sophomore at a high school like no other, and these are his friends: Infinite Darlene, the homecoming queen and star quarterback. Joni, Paul's best friend who may not be his best friend anymore. Tony, his other best friend, who can't leave the house unless his parents think he's going on a date...with a girl. Kyle, the ex-boyfriend who won't go away. Rip, the school bookie, who sets the odds... and Noah, the boy. The one who changes everything.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,867,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible