Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy (original 2003; edition 2005)

by David Levithan

Member:sguzick
Title:Boy Meets Boy
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:coming of age, family, fiction, friendship, high school, homosexuality, LGBT, love, novel, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sexuality, teen, utopia, young adult

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (2003)

English (114)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (117)
I enjoyed this book . . published in 2003, Boy Meets Boy offers a traditional "meets/loses/gets" storyline with a cast of characters who are endearing and memorable. "Issue resolution" appeared, to me, to be firmly in place and I approached the final pages with a smile. I (especially) loved, Loved, LOVED the full-cast audio aspect of the PLAYAWAY audio version. The FULL CAST of narrators - offered characterizations with individual voices and, for me, that added a significant aspect of "reality" to this version. When I was in high school (so long ago that those days seem somewhat surreal) it was a totally different world. I'm grateful to the growing number of YA authors (David Levithan is one of my favorites!) who have stepped up to the plate and addressed diversity, equality, acceptance and love - not as the exception but as the norm. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Tinged with magical realism, Boy Meets Boy offers a perfect world scenario where teens are accepting and understanding of differences. It provides an escape to a place where sexuality is always accepted and right for the individual. Even with the perfect world, Tony's character is fearful is the repercussions of admitting his sexuality to his parents. They are zealously religious and poor Tony feels (and is) trapped.

My only problem with this novel is the cover. I realize it is a love story and blue is a "boy" color, but the combination of a slightly darker baby blue and candy hearts screams femininity and could definitely steer boys away. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
A refreshingly different novel where being gay or straight is all just part of the mix, the usual stuff. Detractions: some of the dialogue at emotional high points read more like a scene from the movies (p. 118). Paul and his friends come off as mature and wise beyond their years in their perspectives on love, relationships, and broken hearts, considering they're only in high school. And whatever happened to the letter in locker 264?
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
So often when one reads queer literature it is full of one of two things: Sex or despair. This book doesn't do that. It shows a world that could be happy if people would learn to let others live their best possible life. Levithan creates a fantastical world where things are very over the top, but there is a sweetness in what he creates, especially for anyone reading it that identifies somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. This book is touching and heartfelt. It shows what love truly is in a way that most romance novels are incapable of capturing. There is no lewdness here. This book captures what it is like to be a high schooler and trying to find yourself, find your love, and find the right group of friends all while being true to yourself. Levithan also shows us that love has to be shown not mentioned. Love is something that you have to let grow or it will wilt. Also without directly stating in the book he seems to be stating that sometimes drama is good, but one must learn how to control it. I think he has done a beautiful job of writing a Queer Literature book that really does more for the community than many other recent books have. Thank you Mr. Levithan for showcasing that a LGBT book can be more, so much more. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
There was something so beautiful about the way this book was written that it didn't matter that I'd seen the plot before because I was experiencing it in a new way ( )
  emmyreads | Jan 4, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editMichael joseph, Michael (Jul 13, 2013)

For Tony (even if he only exists in a song)
9 P.M. on a November Saturday.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375832998, Paperback)

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Love is never easy. Especially if you're Paul. He's a sophomore at a high school like no other, and these are his friends: Infinite Darlene, the homecoming queen and star quarterback. Joni, Paul's best friend who may not be his best friend anymore. Tony, his other best friend, who can't leave the house unless his parents think he's going on a date...with a girl. Kyle, the ex-boyfriend who won't go away. Rip, the school bookie, who sets the odds... and Noah, the boy. The one who changes everything.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,820,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible