Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy (original 2003; edition 2005)

by David Levithan

Member:sguzick
Title:Boy Meets Boy
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:coming of age, family, fiction, friendship, high school, homosexuality, LGBT, love, novel, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sexuality, teen, utopia, young adult

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (2003)

English (118)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All (121)
Interesting, fun characters but no real story

BOY MEETS BOY by David Levithan is a YA LGBT contemporary romance.

I had high hopes for this book. The reviews on Amazon were very positive, and the blurb sounded interesting. It was also very short, and I was between books at the time.

There wasn’t much of a plot described in the blurb for this book, and I know why. Even now, as I try and summarize the story for this review, I'm at a loss. In essence, this is a story about Paul and his friends and their daily lives without a plot arc or story climax or any stakes to speak of. There's just not much to discuss when it comes to "what happens" in this book.

I spent the first part of the book trying to determine where this was taking place. The setting is obviously some sort of high school, though the country isn't clear. The term “sophomore” was used to describe Paul's grade (clearly USA), yet “snogging” was used to describe his friend kissing someone (that would be more likely used in the UK than the US). We just don't say “snogging” in the U.S. and the British don't use “sophomore.” This happened several times throughout the book. The area is described as a small town, yet the school has so many students, Paul and Noah have trouble finding one another. The school also has transgender, gay, lesbian, and drag queen students who are accepted openly. I wish this were normal in the United States but unfortunately that's not the case. This left me thinking it must be a whimsical setting for this story, but I was confused. Ultimately, I decided the book took place somewhere that doesn’t exist on any map. My confusion over the setting and my wondering whether this was a a true contemporary or a fantasy romance added to the utter lack of plot arc left me filling disappointed in this book. While I enjoyed some of the humor and the characters were very strong and fun, I wish there were some sort of goal or stakes or "story" for me to enjoy.

I give this book 2.5 North of Normal stars owing to its outstanding characters. ( )
  cmmccoy | May 24, 2017 |
I bought this as a birthday gift for my sister Cecilie several years ago. There was a death of queer stories or outlets in our hometown, and for that reason it was such a pleasure to see this fantasy world where there is no struggle in one's sexual or gender identity. It was refreshing to read a gay romance without a tragic ending or copious amounts of suffering. I think that's important, but it's also important to talk about the fact that it's not a viable political option, however sincere a wish it may be. Still, stories have power and stories allow us to escape, which was what this offered quite sweetly, and it was the panacea to the binary of either heterosexual or tragic-homosexual stories that overwhelmed me in the past. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
3.5 stars

This is more of a read for teens than adults I think. It’s about the drama of the high school years. It’s very open with sexual orientation so no matter where someone falls in the hetero or QUILTBAG spectrum (so basically everyone alive), there is something to relate to.

*SPOILER* For me, the best part was when they all show up together to pick the one boy up for a date. That was a magic moment, and the rest of the story after that as well. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars. This was a fun read. I heard of some people not liking it so much because it was almost too perfect, but that didn't really bother me. It was definitely "fluffy" but fun ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editMichael joseph, Michael (Jul 13, 2013)

For Tony (even if he only exists in a song)
9 P.M. on a November Saturday.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375832998, Paperback)

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Love is never easy. Especially if you're Paul. He's a sophomore at a high school like no other, and these are his friends: Infinite Darlene, the homecoming queen and star quarterback. Joni, Paul's best friend who may not be his best friend anymore. Tony, his other best friend, who can't leave the house unless his parents think he's going on a date...with a girl. Kyle, the ex-boyfriend who won't go away. Rip, the school bookie, who sets the odds... and Noah, the boy. The one who changes everything.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,080,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible