Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy (original 2003; edition 2005)

by David Levithan

Member:sguzick
Title:Boy Meets Boy
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:coming of age, family, fiction, friendship, high school, homosexuality, LGBT, love, novel, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sexuality, teen, utopia, young adult

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (2003)

English (106)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (109)
Levithan's objective was to write a little romance about what it could be/should be like when two boys find each other in high school, rather than being the traumatic "coming out"/hazing experience so many actually experience. (Karen) ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jun 6, 2015 |
Summary: The main character Paul lives in a small and tolerant town in New Jersey while one of his best friends is also gay but stuck in a strict town next to Paul's. Both friends grow relationships with other boys, but not without any of the drama. Both relationships are tested, and fortunately the book ends with everyone being happy regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Personal connection: This author co-wrote Will Grayson, will grayson and did a great job of making me have a personal connection with the characters. The book is the perfect balance of romance, drama and is also very informational to teens and how they feel when dealing with relationships and LGBTQ issues.

Class use: I would recommend this book to any teenagers but especially ones maybe questioning their sexuality or who don't fully understand those that are questioning themselves. Have students talk openly about LGBTQ issues and relationship issues. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
A YA novel in which two openly gay boys fall in love and run into normal rom-com-y obstacles to their relationship. Fun, funny, touching, and written in a smart, compelling voice. While this is a rewarding, entertaining read on the surface, it is probably most remarkable and most interesting because of what it is: a story which treats the teenaged romance between two boys as no different than a teenaged romance between a boy and a girl. Levithan creates an idealized town for his setting where homosexuality is universally accepted and embraced, and this ideal sharply points out the prejudices and injustices of the real world while creating a counterpoint within the novel for the prejudices the characters encounter outside their inclusive town. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 15, 2015 |
Ok, so it's a fairy tale. If one wants to read something very light about an issue that's still unfortunately fairly heavy, this is a good book. But the implausibility & inconsistency of it all was just too much for me, personally.

I mean, never mind that there are no chain stores in the town. What's up with Noah's folks, that the one and only time we see one of them, jet-setters that they are, is in a thrift (? consignment?) store? What's up with all this acceptance and support, but Kyle still being totally messed up just cuz he's bi? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
My favorite character in Boy Meets Boy, is Tony; Paul’s other best friend. Tony lives in a different neighborhood than Paul, in more ways than one. Paul, the protagonist of the story, lives in a gay-friendly town, and was free to be himself. Paul’s parents, brother, friends, teachers, and everyone he meets, accepts the choice he has made. His kindergarten teacher was insightful enough, even then, to determine that, “Paul is definitely gay and has very good sense of self” (8).
Tony has told Paul “do you know how lucky you are” (150)? He envies Paul because he is free to be himself, while he has a difficult time of it. His parents are homophobic and extremely religious, and believe that he will be damned for his feelings. Paul wants to help Tony, and suggests that he leave home, and live with Paul until they can sort things out. Tony says, “I can’t, Paul. I can’t just leave. I know you won’t understand this, but they love me. It would be much easier if they didn’t. But in their own way, they love me. They honestly believe that if I don’t straighten out, I will lose my soul” (152).
Tony was always there when Paul needed advice, and someone to talk to. Tony saw things clearer. Joni, Paul’s other best friend, was dating Chuck, and Paul was not happy about this, but Tony said, “Who am I to approve or disapprove? If she’s happy, then good for her” (34). Tony was insightful this way, he was also cute, and gloomy. He never really had a boyfriend, just a quiet crush.
Tony also helped Paul realize, that if he wanted to get Noah back, he had to “show” him how he felt. “Don’t tell him, Paul. Show him” (157). As depressed as Tony felt, he was still able to advise his friend. Tony began to realize that he had to firmly deal with his parents. Tony had been living with his fear for all his life, and now he would convert it to courage. When his mom came in to find Paul in Tony’s bedroom, she was very upset, but Tony bravely told her that Paul was his best friend, and they were just doing homework together, and that the bedroom door would remain open. Although she was not happy with this, his mother relented. Tony is my favorite, and my hero, for being strong enough and smart enough, to know what he needs to do to get through life. As it is said by Paul, I find my greatest strength in wanting to be strong. I find my greatest bravery in deciding to be brave.
When I read about how Tony struggles with his parents resistance to his sexuality, in the same story as Paul living in a more accepting world, it is as if I am reading about two different worlds, in two different times. Utopia vs. Dystopia.[bc:Boy Meets Boy|23228|Boy Meets Boy|David Levithan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356335082s/23228.jpg|1118789] ( )
  Spiritus3 | Apr 7, 2015 |
added by gsc55 | editMichael joseph, Michael (Jul 13, 2013)

For Tony (even if he only exists in a song)
9 P.M. on a November Saturday.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375832998, Paperback)

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Love is never easy. Especially if you're Paul. He's a sophomore at a high school like no other, and these are his friends: Infinite Darlene, the homecoming queen and star quarterback. Joni, Paul's best friend who may not be his best friend anymore. Tony, his other best friend, who can't leave the house unless his parents think he's going on a date...with a girl. Kyle, the ex-boyfriend who won't go away. Rip, the school bookie, who sets the odds... and Noah, the boy. The one who changes everything.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,123,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible