Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy (original 2003; edition 2005)

by David Levithan

Member:unwashedcat
Title:Boy Meets Boy
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:from amazon, LGBT

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (2003)

English (114)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (117)
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
An interesting and wonderful book about one of the aspects of growing up: the definition of who the main character Paul becomes when he falls in love with Noah.

One of the things I found fascinating about this story is that even in a 'Gaytopia', where coming out is (mostly) not required because all variations of sexuality are accepted, the struggle about who these teenagers are and what happens when they fall in love is pretty much the same as in the 'normal' world we all know. I think that is part of its charm: it shows young GLBTQI people what life might be like if they were fully accepted. It reassures them in a very unique way that the reasons they might feel awkward at times isn't just the fact that they're GLBTQI. It's the fact that they are growing up.

I recommend this book to all young people and their parents as well as members of the GLBTQI community.

SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
The first thing I gotta say is, I'm mad at myself for not reading this the moment it arrived in the mail!

The other first thing I gotta say is, I want to go to this high school!!! There should be a television show about this high school because I would watch the hell out of it!

This book was just beautiful. I loved the story and the characters. It's about Paul, who is best friends with Joni and Tony, ex-boyfriends with Kyle, and very interested in the new boy, Noah.

Let's talk about Paul. This kid is really put together. And what I mean is, he comes from a loving home with understanding and fun-loving parents and a pretty cool older brother. They all accept Paul and his friends for who and what they are, no questions asked. Besides typical teenaged angst, Paul is very secure in who he is. He's out, he's dated boys in junior high and high school; he's even had his heart-broken. He's the kid all parents wish their kids could be, without him seeming ridiculously fake. He's a good person with family and friends. He goes to school and does well, he participates in school plays and helps to plan school functions. He's supportive of his friends. And, most important, he makes mistakes.

Then we have Tony who is gay and sort of out, but he has devout Christian parents who pray for his soul and fear that he is headed straight for hell if he doesn't get back on the right path. But the catch is, they truly, truly love their child. They haven't thrown him out or tried to send him to a facility to geared to force him straight. But they do continuously pray for his salvation, they are strict about what activities he can participate in, they (sort of) screen his friends and get super excited whenever a girl is mentioned. Tony is so sad and I just want to hug him and adopt him as my own child. His parents mean well, but they haven't gotten to the point where (good parents) realize that loving your child means letting them be who they are and not who you wish they would be.

There's Joni, who loses her damn mind a few chapters into the book. She becomes the epitome of love making you ditch your family and friends and making you do stupid things. She, in my opinion, is a bad friend, and she gets no redemption from me.

Kyle is Paul's ex who broke up with him when being gay and in a relationship freaked him out. He gets halfway to redemption in my book because (and I can only imagine) having an identity crisis at 15-16 years old is insane and would make you do crazy, stupid things that teenagers often do, and then later regret.

And Noah is the new boy in town who is sweet and artsy and has been hurt before. I just wanted to hug him as well because he has the travelling-for-work-parents. They're never really home and have moved him and his sister around quite a bit. He doesn't even realize what he's looking for when he meets Paul and gets a little freaked-out himself. Only he handles his freak-out much better than Kyle did.

Infinite Darlene. She is a drag queen, the star quarter back, and the homecoming queen. 'Nough said.

There are more characters that I won't get into. But they are all wonderfully written. I feel like we were given a glimpse of who they all are as people and teenagers just struggling to get through high school life. The story is funny and sad and sweet and lovely. All-in-all this is a well-written tale of old love, new love, friendship, betrayal, growth and redemption. While I wish it was longer, the length was perfect. It left me wanting more, but I wasn't left unsatisfied. ( )
1 vote Virago77 | Aug 2, 2017 |
Interesting, fun characters but no real story

BOY MEETS BOY by David Levithan is a YA LGBT contemporary romance.

I had high hopes for this book. The reviews on Amazon were very positive, and the blurb sounded interesting. It was also very short, and I was between books at the time.

There wasn’t much of a plot described in the blurb for this book, and I know why. Even now, as I try and summarize the story for this review, I'm at a loss. In essence, this is a story about Paul and his friends and their daily lives without a plot arc or story climax or any stakes to speak of. There's just not much to discuss when it comes to "what happens" in this book.

I spent the first part of the book trying to determine where this was taking place. The setting is obviously some sort of high school, though the country isn't clear. The term “sophomore” was used to describe Paul's grade (clearly USA), yet “snogging” was used to describe his friend kissing someone (that would be more likely used in the UK than the US). We just don't say “snogging” in the U.S. and the British don't use “sophomore.” This happened several times throughout the book. The area is described as a small town, yet the school has so many students, Paul and Noah have trouble finding one another. The school also has transgender, gay, lesbian, and drag queen students who are accepted openly. I wish this were normal in the United States but unfortunately that's not the case. This left me thinking it must be a whimsical setting for this story, but I was confused. Ultimately, I decided the book took place somewhere that doesn’t exist on any map. My confusion over the setting and my wondering whether this was a a true contemporary or a fantasy romance added to the utter lack of plot arc left me filling disappointed in this book. While I enjoyed some of the humor and the characters were very strong and fun, I wish there were some sort of goal or stakes or "story" for me to enjoy.

I give this book 2.5 North of Normal stars owing to its outstanding characters. ( )
  cmmccoy | May 24, 2017 |
I bought this as a birthday gift for my sister Cecilie several years ago. There was a death of queer stories or outlets in our hometown, and for that reason it was such a pleasure to see this fantasy world where there is no struggle in one's sexual or gender identity. It was refreshing to read a gay romance without a tragic ending or copious amounts of suffering. I think that's important, but it's also important to talk about the fact that it's not a viable political option, however sincere a wish it may be. Still, stories have power and stories allow us to escape, which was what this offered quite sweetly, and it was the panacea to the binary of either heterosexual or tragic-homosexual stories that overwhelmed me in the past. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editMichael joseph, Michael (Jul 13, 2013)

For Tony (even if he only exists in a song)
9 P.M. on a November Saturday.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375832998, Paperback)

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Love is never easy. Especially if you're Paul. He's a sophomore at a high school like no other, and these are his friends: Infinite Darlene, the homecoming queen and star quarterback. Joni, Paul's best friend who may not be his best friend anymore. Tony, his other best friend, who can't leave the house unless his parents think he's going on a date...with a girl. Kyle, the ex-boyfriend who won't go away. Rip, the school bookie, who sets the odds... and Noah, the boy. The one who changes everything.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible