The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert…

The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy

by Robert Leleux

I read Leleux's memoirs in the wrong order, and I'm sorry about that. I recommend you read this one first, because the second is full of spoilers, if you will. I already knew most of the story, and though it was well-written and interesting, it wasn't as much fun as it would have been if I'd done it in the proper order.
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Robert spent the first years of his life without knowing want, that is until his father walked out on his mother, leaving them virtually to fend for themselves. Not an easy plight for his mother, used to a life of ease and comfort, nor for Robert, who now has to contend with his mother's often extreme measures to find herself another rich husband before she looses her good looks, and all her hair.

Robert's memoirs of his childhood, his coming of age, and his finally meeting Michael, the love of his life make for a most entertaining read. He paints a vivid picture of his flamboyant mother, and it is clear he shares many of her traits; the only person to be surprised to learn that he is gay is Robert himself. He tell his story with great honesty and a humour that frequently verges on the hilarious. No one is safe from his often acerbic wit, including Robert himself.

As a first novel this bodes well for Robert's future as a writer, he writes with confidence and style. ( )
  presto | Apr 25, 2012 |
Fabulous! ( )
  cinnamonowl | Jul 7, 2011 |
Big (fake) hair, big Texas personalities, big fun. The love child of an Oscar statue and a Texan version of Liz Taylor, Robert Leleux is precocious, pert, penniless, and utterly charming. Candid - sometimes to the cringe point - this memoir is, well, memorable. Enjoy. ( )
  mikerr | May 17, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked book but couldn't get into what I was reading. ( )
  clibrarianhalstead | Jul 9, 2009 |

In the Dear John letter Daddy left for Mother and me, on a Saturday afternoon in early June 1996, on the inlaid Florentine table in the front entry of our house, which we found that night upon returning from a day spent in the crème-colored light of Neiman’s, Daddy wrote that he was leaving us because Mother was crazy, and because she’d driven me crazy in a way that perfectly suited her own insanity.

In a memoir studded with delicious lines and unforgettable set pieces, Robert Leleux describes his East Texas boyhood and coming of age under the tutelage of his eccentric, bewigged, flamboyant, and knowing mother.

Left high and dry by Daddy and living on their in-laws’ horse ranch in a white-pillared house they can’t afford, Robert and Mother find themselves chronically low on cash. Soon they are forced into more modest quarters, and as a teenaged Robert watches with hilarity and horror, Mother begins a desperate regimen of makeovers, extreme plastic surgeries, and finally hairpiece epoxies---all calculated to secure a new, wealthy husband.

Mother’s strategy takes her, with Robert in tow, from the glamorous environs of the Neiman Marcus beauty salon to questionable surgery offices and finally to a storefront clinic on the wrong side of Houston. Meanwhile, Robert begins his own journey away from Mother and through the local theater’s world of miscast hopefuls and thwarted ambitions---and into a romance that surprises absolutely no one but himself.

Written with a warmth and a wicked sense of fun that lighten even the most awful circumstances, The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy is a sparkling debut.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:20 -0400)

The author describes his east Texas boyhood and coming of age with his eccentric, flamboyant mother, his life on their in-laws' horse ranch, his mother's successful quest to land a wealthy husband, and meeting his future life partner, Michael.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible