By the Light of the Moon: A Novel by Dean…

By the Light of the Moon: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Dean Koontz

Member:S.D.Desnoyer
Title:By the Light of the Moon: A Novel
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz (2002)

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
This book is definitely a thriller. While reading this it was difficult to put down. I just had to know what was coming next. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery and crime.
  HeathernJeff | Nov 20, 2017 |
"By The Llight of The Moon" begins when Jilly, Dylan, and Shep's lives collide in a motel where a mad-scientist type character injects them with "stuff" and promises that "it does something different to everyone." While the plot revealed itself in time, the story was alll about the three characters and the mad scientist. In the end, the revealed thesis was one of goodness and wonder--but getting there? not so much. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 17, 2017 |
One of his best ones. ( )
  kalyhi | Oct 10, 2016 |
I loved this book. It starts with two brothers being injected with some mystery syringe by some random guy, and ends with... Well the ending is one of the best "origin stories" I've ever read. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
Review: By The Light Of The Moon by Dean Koontz.

This wasn’t one of my favorite books by Dean Koontz but it kept my interest through the three main creative characters. I think the characters were well-developed and Shep who has autism filled my heart with pleasure. I thought the story started out slow however, it didn’t take long to get into realm of things and I felt the ending was a tad too heroic as to their special powers unfolded at a fast pace. Still, Dean Koontz still knows how to captivate his audience.

The story begins with Proctor, a mad scientist who wants to prove to his peers that he is superior and has the answer to the human mind activity. He has collected some kind of fluid in large vials that he will inject into his victims, Dylan, an artist who moves around to art shows with his younger brother Shep who has Autism and Jilly, who is a comedian and who are all three registered for the night at the same motel. At the motel Dylan is held captive in his room and Proctor injects him with this fluid and explains how it was going to change Dylan’s life and that he should leave the motel as quick as he can because his co-workers are tracking Proctor and will track down anyone they think Proctor injected and kill them. He told Dylan he must not report this to anyone because they will find him no matter where he and Shep go. Proctor then leaves Dylan tied up and seeks out his next victim Jilly.

Dylan manages to free himself and became erratic trying to collect all of his and Shep’s belongings to bring back to his car. Shep was behind him in a confused state and that’s when they accidentally bump into Jilly who is also on the run but can’t seem to find her car. I didn’t take long for them to notice they were all running from the same people who were in black SUV’s. With some argumentive actuations between Dylan and Jilly they heard an explosion coming from the other side of the motel that they stopped arguing and jumped into Dylan’s car and was high-tailing it out of there. When they got to the entrance they noticed Jilly’s missing Cadillac Deville was the explosion with a couple of black SUV’s standing by to watch it burn with the mad scientist in the driver’s seat.

So now Dylan, Shep and Jilly accelerate to somewhere unknown to try and figure out what just happened to them. As they are on the run the story goes on to situations that they couldn’t control. Their brains were working against them and their bodies were doing abnormal things that could get them into trouble. One thing they did know is that there were men out there hunting them down. Than some paranormal things start happening and once they figured out what they were they were holding onto their lives as each moment went by. Shep had his issues but he seemed to be in his own little world and kept humor between the pages which breaks up the intensity of the action, just at the right moments. “Shep is brave”…Shep is brave…“By the light of the moon” ….“Fold than have cake”….. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Jun 15, 2016 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And at his prow the pilot held within his hands his freight of lives, eyes wide open, full of moonlight. - Night Flight, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Life has no meaning except in terms of responsibility. - Faith and History, Reinhold Niebuhr
Now take my hand and hold it tight. I will not fail you here tonight. For failing you, I fail myself. And place my soul upon a shelf. In Hell's library without light. I will not fail you here tonight. - The Book of Counted Sorrows
This book is dedicated to Linda Morris and Elaine Peterson for their hard work, their kindnesses, and their reliability. And, of course, for catching me in that once-a-year mistake that, if not drawn to my attention, would mar my record of perfection. And for discreetly concealing from me that the real reason they stay around is to endure that Ms. Trixie receives all the belly rubs she deserves.
Shortly before being knocked unconscious and bound to a chair, before being injected with an unknown substance against his will, and before discovering that the world was deeply mysterious in ways he'd never before imagined, Dylan O'Conner left his motel room and walked across the highway to a brightly lighted fast-food franchise to buy cheeseburgers, French fries, pocket pies with apple filling, and a vanilla milkshake.
Visiones is the Spanish title for By the Light of the Moon; not The Visions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582763, Mass Market Paperback)

Dean Koontz has surpassed his longtime reputation as “America’s most popular suspense novelist”(Rolling Stone) to become one of the most celebrated and successful writers of our time. Reviewers hail his boundless originality, his art, his unparalleled ability to create highly textured, riveting drama, at once viscerally familiar and utterly unique.

Author of one #1 The New York Times bestseller after another, Koontz is at the pinnacle of his powers, spinning mysteries and miracles, enthralling tales that speak directly to today’s readers, balm for the heart and fire for the mind. In this stunning new novel, he delivers a tour de force of dark suspense and brilliant revelation that has all the Koontz trademarks: adventure, chills, riddles, humor, heartbreak, an unforgettable cast of characters, and a climax that will leave you clamoring for more.

Dylan O’Connor is a gifted young artist just trying to do the right thing in life. He’s on his way to an arts festival in Santa Fe when he stops to get a room for himself and his twenty-year-old autistic brother, Shep. But in a nightmarish instant, Dylan is attacked by a mysterious “doctor,” injected with a strange substance, and told that he is now a carrier of something that will either kill him...or transform his life in the most remarkable way. Then he is told that he must flee—before the doctor’s enemies hunt him down for the secret circulating through his body. No one can help him, the doctor says, not even the police.

Stunned, disbelieving, Dylan is turned loose to run for his life...and straight into an adventure that will turn the next twenty-four hours into an odyssey of terror, mystery—and wondrous discovery. It is a journey that begins when Dylan and Shep’s path intersects with that of Jillian Jackson. Before that evening Jilly was a beautiful comedian whose biggest worry was whether she would ever find a decent man. Now she too is a carrier. And even as Dylan tries to convince her that they’ll be safer sticking together, cold-eyed men in a threatening pack of black Suburbans approach, only seconds before Jilly’s classic Coupe DeVille explodes into thin air.

Now the three are on the run together, but with no idea whom they’re running from—or why. Meanwhile Shep has begun exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior. And whatever it is that’s coursing through their bodies seems to have plunged them into one waking nightmare after another. Seized by sinister premonitions, they find themselves inexplicably drawn to crime scenes—just minutes before the crimes take place.

What this unfathomable power is, how they can use it to stop the evil erupting all around them, and why they have been chosen are only parts of a puzzle that reaches back into the tragic past and the dark secrets they all share: secrets of madness, pain, and untimely death. Perhaps the answer lies in the eerie, enigmatic messages that Shep, with precious time running out, begins to repeat, about an entity who does his work “by the light of the moon.”

By the Light of the Moon is a novel of heart-stopping suspense and transcendent beauty, of how evil can destroy us and love can redeem us—a masterwork of the imagination in which the surprises come page after page and the spell of sublime storytelling triumphs throughout.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

A young, promising artist is injected with a mysterious substance which makes him a target for relentless pursuers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible